[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have most concealed carriers, law enforcement officers, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: diag-gun2-hammer.jpg (57KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
diag-gun2-hammer.jpg
57KB, 800x640px
Why have most concealed carriers, law enforcement officers, and militaries been shifting their sidearms from DA/SA to striker fired?
>>
>>34577236
no half-cocking
>>
It's easier to get people to qualify with.
>>
>>34577236
Most poly guns are striker fired
Poly guns are light
Being light is ideal for something carried often and fired little
>>
>>34577236
more reliability
>>
>>34577236

The mentality is that it's better a better investment of time and money to train lot people to simply qualify than it is to have a few really good shooters know how to finesse a DA/SA.

Polymer strikers in 9mm is well suited for that. Soon all the old metal frame DA/SA like the Beretta 92 and Sig P226 will be looking quite fuddly in the same way we see the 1911 today.
>>
>>34577236
it's cheaper
>>
>>34577236
Because 1 consistant trigger pull is better than 1 heavy long trigger pull followed by short light trigher pulls.
>>
>>34579616
is it though? I just never had a fucking problem with it
>>
>>34581518
It's easier for someone who isn't going to dedicate a fair bit of time practicing to master that trigger pull difference.
>>
>>34581518
>is it though?

Not really. There's some people who don't mind it (me and you) then there's people who just aren't used to it and feel intimidated so they swear from ever learning it.

Double action trigger pulls have utility as "street triggers", meaning that they're less likely to have pulled accidentally in a stressful situation .ie self defense scenario

Here's an article on HK's LEM by Darryl Bolke and its benefits of its long trigger pull, the benefit is carried over to DA/SA and DAO pistols as well.

Darryl Bolke is a retired police officer and has reported an incident where he had a call on a mentally unstable ~20yr male that came off from the wall of a building, ran at him with a (knife?) with him beginning his trigger pull on his DA/SA pistol at a 3 yard shot with him being able to stop the trigger pull when the suspect's mother tackled the son down just in time. If he had a striker fired gun like a Glock or a SAO, he would have shot someone that would have otherwise been a "no shoot".

https://pistol-training.com/archives/8549

And you can shoot DA/SA to a very high level of proficiency, anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
>>
>>34577236
>Why have most concealed carriers, law enforcement officers, and militaries been shifting their sidearms from DA/SA to striker fired?
The gun in your picture is SAO.
>>
>>34579064
Eat shit. My Glock 23 has LESS recoil and muzzle flip than my Sig P229 that weighs 8 ounces more.
>>
>>34581564
well, the sigs have the bore up in the clouds, so it's not surprising.
>>
>>34581518
Yes, it is. No matter how much you train with a da/sa gun, if you train the same amount with a striker gun, you'll be more practiced with the kind of trigger pull you'd have in a self defense situation. People who believe in that glockleg shit are just scared fudds who never learned the rules of gun safety. DA/SA guns are no more safe and it's more dangerous than anything else to buy one and think you can finger the trigger or some dumb shit because durr it's uncocked. If you just want a DA/SA gun because you like it then get it, but don't pretend that the trigger system has any practical advantages to it.

>>34581552
Yeah, nice story. Why not carry with your gun unloaded. That'll give you even more time to think. You don't put your finger in the trigger guard unless it's time to shoot.
>>
>>34581921
DURR BORE AXIS DUZEN MATTER!!1!
LAWS OF PHYSICS DONT APPLY 2 GUNS DUMBASS
>>
File: strikerbaby.jpg (153KB, 600x614px) Image search: [Google]
strikerbaby.jpg
153KB, 600x614px
>>34581952
>no practical advantages
having a 13 pound trigger pull acting as a manual safety is much better than having a hair trigger pointed at your junk anon
>if you train the same amount with a striker gun you'll be more practiced with that trigger for self defense
>implying that the SA on a DA/SA isn't infinitely better than a Striker fired gun
>implying DA/SA users (like myself) even notice the transition.
>ignores real life example of how a DA/SA is beneficial to shill meme design

>>34581564
>implying muzzle flip and felt recoil are the same
>>
>>34581564
> .40 short & weak

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>34582438
Having the trigger covered by a holster negates all of that.
>>
>>34582468
>implying holsters don't have defects/warp
>implying riding the hammer while re-holstering isn't infinitely more safer than holstering a striker fired gun.
>>
Jesus, guys. If you can hit what you were aiming at and do it fast enough, then keep doing that.

>>34577236
As for OPs question, I suspect it's going away because it's completely different from any other type of firearm. I'm not aware of any rifle or shotgun that uses different trigger pull weights.

Maybe some anon can inform me why DA/SA became a thing. I always assumed it was a safety feature for police.
>>
File: 1425032148945.png (253KB, 550x700px) Image search: [Google]
1425032148945.png
253KB, 550x700px
>>34582514
Mmmm I too like to "Ride the hammer".
>>
File: 1499384703631.jpg (31KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
1499384703631.jpg
31KB, 720x602px
>>34579616
Goddamn this why did it take this many posts to get the correct answer? Pretty simple simpletons.
>>
>>34582514
And the world may implode today too. I don't understand why people can't just be intelligent. Asking too much I guess.
>>
>>34581965
The placement of the bore axis changes how the laws of physics are translated through felt recoil, guy.

>>34581952
>Why not carry with your gun unloaded
>"A double action pull that lets you drop the hammer instead of firing? Might as well not have a gun, amirite?"

I havent been on /k/ in a long while, when did it get so bad around here?
>>
Are you familiar with the concept of technology?
>>
>>34579616
The question is, is it better though?

I don't think so.
>>
>>34583072
It isn't new technology though. Strikers have been around longer than DA/SA triggers have.

I think the other anons are right that it comes down to training. My 2+2 splits are within a tenth of each other with a P226, or a G19.

I greatly prefer the P226 over the G19, but will not discount the utility of the Glock trigger design. I don't think its fair to claim that one is better than the other as they both have their uses. For a home defense gun I use the P226, as I want to be sure if I awake disoriented that I have to use that much more focus when pulling the trigger to make sure its a good shoot, and I don't bean my 14 yr old son sneaking in a window.

I carry the G19, because if I am fully alert, and on the street some douche tries to knife me, I know I'll be able to effectively drop him with muscle memory alone.
>>
>>34577236
You mean since the late 1980's? Because they're cheaper. Glock in particular incentivized LE agencies to adopt with support and financial discounts. They are a less complex design that is easier to teach to complete morons and is easier to maintain. For concealed carriers most of those reasons are the same but a lot of the light poly momentum was taken up by striker designs long before DA's caught up. Now it's almost an issue with confirmation bias. Everyone has one and they're everywhere. The market followed that trend and new shooters conformed to the market.
>>
>>34579064
I don't remember mentioning recoil or muzzle flip anywhere in my post, buddy.
>>
>>34582438
Holy fuck this

Yes glockfags a heavier first pull reduces the chance of an ND in a self defense situation when the adrenaline is pumping and your shit is spewing.

All successive shots will be SUPERIOR to striker fired pistols due to the light single action trigger which follows. By now you've already made the concious decision to stop the threat and you want to put as many rounds into him as quickly as possible.

Once the shooting is done you decock and then put your thumb over the hammer so as to feel if something is obstructing the trigger when you holster.

>>34582807
Because it's better not to count on your fine motor skills and incredible weapons manipulations after the stress of pulling your gun out in a fight or flight situation. Your carry guns should be retard proof, hence the desire for a da/sa, dao, or Lem trigger

This is why you wouldn't carry a p226 cocked
>>
>>34577236
Because they are not that smart; they are easily taken in by fads. Not how LE went from almost all revolvers to almost all all Glocks with no stops in between.
>>
File: IMG_0475.jpg (66KB, 720x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0475.jpg
66KB, 720x384px
>>34581552
>crazy cunt running st you with a knife
>no shoot
Kek you and he can both get fucked. Sounds like he's lucky that pos mommy was there to save both their asses.
>>
>>34583727
>wanting to go through an incredible fuckload of paper work and drama

>wanting to deal with the "he din du nothing he a gud boy! Less beat that crackas ass!"

You're naïveté is almost cute
>>
>>34583767
also he might have been talking about accidentally shooting mother jumping into the sight picture. Also the fact that deadly force is only lawful when there is an *IMMEDIATE* threat. Mommy made it so that 20yo was no longer a threat - lethal force no longer justifiable.
>>
>>34583125
Well most people do considering everyone makes a striker pistol now and da/sa has fallen by the wayside for most serious users like police/military.
>>
>>34585166
I'd say you are wrong on that one. Military forces issue striker fired guns because they need less training to be proficient with them. And they see no real use in a military role.

I realize there are benefits to the striker fired action, but I personally will always choose a DA/SA design, because I personally shoot them better. I shoot 1500-2500 rds a month (depending on matches) and still prefer my handguns DA/SA.

I shoot a USP Expert btw, and have learned to train around the differing trigger weights.
>>
>>34581552
>he would have shot someone that would have otherwise been a "no shoot".
he wasn't a "no shoot" running at the officer in the least.
Would have been fine to plug him.
>>
>>34577236
Striker-fired is not the opposite of DA/SA
>>
Welfare queens have shit taste and also contract to the lowest bidder. Just because they use it should not be a measurement of a weapon's quality.
>>
>>34583767
>getting killed by some jig because you're too scared to do your job
Reality>fantasy land(not the Tampa one). Get a grip. Guy coming at you with a knife is a deadily force encounter. Sorry you can't grasp that.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.