[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aside, how does a ramp work? If the aircraft has not enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

Memes aside, how does a ramp work? If the aircraft has not enough runway to accelerate the ski-jump doesn't make it faster (probably slower, since it has do move upwards with the same momentum), it also doesn't provide significantly more height. So, where does the magic happen?
>>
It angles the plane upward increasing lift
>>
>>34571532
More Angle of attack = more lift

Catapults increase lift by having higher vilocity.
Ramps do it by having more aggressive angle of attack.
Theoretically you can have some system of discarding wing sections to increase lift by increasing area.

Someone please tell me things will be better.
>>
>>34571532
you will never see anything with a less than very high thrust to weight ratio on a carrier with a ramp, because it just launches the planes up higher, allowing them the time and space to accelerate to a speed at which they can fly. Essentially it's an extension of room to accelerate. this is why the Russians typically don't fly aircraft that aren't Mig-29K or the naval variant of the SU-25 from the kuznetsov. They need that high thrust to weight ratio to accelerate up the ramp, where they'll have enough drop room to fall while they accelerate to lifting speed without hitting the water.
>>
>>34571603
>> or the naval variant of the SU-25

Su-27. Su-25 is an attack plane.
>>
A fucking RAMP
>>
>>34571603
>naval variant of the SU-25
Kek he doesn't even know he's planes and he thinks he knows ramps.
>>
install kerbal
>>
File: doesn't even know he's planes.jpg (80KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
doesn't even know he's planes.jpg
80KB, 600x450px
>>34572062
>>34572110
"The Su-25UTG (Uchebno-Trenirovochnyy s Gakom) is a variant of the Su-25UB designed to train pilots in takeoff and landing on a land-based simulated carrier deck, with a sloping ski-jump section and arrester wires. The first one flew in September 1988, and approximately 10 were produced.[73] About half remained in Russian service after 1991; they were used on Russia's sole aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov. This small number of aircraft were insufficient to meet the training needs of Russia's carrier air group, so a number of Su-25UBs were converted into Su-25UTGs. These aircraft being distinguished by the alternative designation Su-25UBP (Uchebno-Boyevoy Palubny) —the adjective palubnyy meaning "deck", indicating that these aircraft have a naval function.[74] Approximately 10 of these aircraft are currently operational in the Russian Navy as part of the 279th Naval Aviation Regiment.[75]"
>>
>>34572110
I can taste the irony in this statement
>>
File: fluid dynamics modeling.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fluid dynamics modeling.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>34572111
KSP is an alright aircraft design simulator; it simulates some basic stuff and with mods you can go a bit further but ultimately it can't model any fluid dynamics stuff.
>>
>>34572062
>Su-25 is an attack plane
lots of "attack planes" are carrier capable. Including the su-25.

Su-27's weren't really carrier aircraft. It was quite a big deal when they first landed a Su-27 on a carrier. They certainly weren't designed for it.
>>
>>34572110
I mean, I'm flattered that you think I'm secretly a plane, but I think I would know if I was a plane, or quite especially several planes.
>>
>>34572062
The SU-33, best described as a Modified SU-27 adapted for naval operations, is no longer in service with the Russian navy as far as I know, being replaced by the MiG-29K. Or at the very least they INTENDED to have it out of service by now, seeing as they only produced a few (24?) and decided not to make more. Also, yeah, the carrier variant of the SU-25 for dedicated strike roles.
>>
Same thing, more faffing about.
Cat and extended nose gear and hold back and wall.
Or a ramp.
>>
>>34572390
>Extend nose gear
>Expand dong
>>
>>34572161
>Su-27's weren't really carrier aircraft
The Su-27K/Su-3333 is however, seeing as they are heavily modified, its not just a Su-27P with a hook and folding wings.
>is no longer in service with the Russian navy as far as I know
They are, recently overhauled and with multi-role capabilities added, and with new engines currently under production.
>being replaced by the MiG-29K
They where bought because the Indians offset most of the production line set up costs. And obviously as a stimulus package for Mikoyan.
>>
File: Buccaneer_S2.jpg (58KB, 744x558px) Image search: [Google]
Buccaneer_S2.jpg
58KB, 744x558px
>>34572390
>>extended nose gear
>not just popping a wheelie
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.