[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long is it supposed to take to clean a handgun? I just spent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

How long is it supposed to take to clean a handgun? I just spent nearly 2 hours cleaning out a used .45 I bought at a gun show (don't think the last owner nor the vendor cleaned it before selling, alhough granted a chunk of that time spent was just figuring out how to take it apart and then put it back together) and just under 1 hour cleaning my 9mm
I put ~100 rounds through both at the range today, maybe a little less through the .45
Is this normal or am I fucking stupid?
>>
>>34560945
Should take you that long only of you're doing a detailed strip and that's on certain guns only. A complete strip on a 1911 takes longer than on a glock for example.
>>
normal. now if it was your tenth time to reassemble and it still took hours you are a retard.
>>
>>34560945
A modern handgun should take 20-30min and occaisonally an hour or more for a detail clean.
>>
>>34560945
Depends on how OCD you are.
>>
Takes me like 15 minutes after a trip to the range
2 hours for a full disassembly and detailed clean, which I do maybe twice a year.
>>
>>34560945
I usually spend like 20 minutes and it's fine

very rare "deep cleaning"
>>
>>34560997
this desu

I'll shoot 100 rounds at the range and spend an hour cleaning my gun, not because it's dirty but because it just has to be sparkly clean
>>
Personal preference matters a lot here.
I only clean a gun after I put at least 300-400 rounds through it.
>>
>>34560945
WD-40 is a solvent only.
If you have a Dremel with nylon brush attachment, your work will go quickly.
Don't forget to replace the WD-40 with REAL oil.
CLP, Hoppes, 3-in-1, etc.
>inb4 "3-in-1" you fudd?!
>It lubes, penetrates rust, cleans. Hmmm L, P, and C. I wonder what CLP means. Durr.It's fucking CLP in non-aerosol, non-foaming form. If you really need foam on your gun, stop eating crayons.
>>
>>34561864

Faggot
>>
File: 34561890_is_a_faggot.jpg (15KB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
34561890_is_a_faggot.jpg
15KB, 288x216px
>>34561890
>Faggot
I have several
Aids grilling
>>
File: 1436064162497.jpg (27KB, 327x650px) Image search: [Google]
1436064162497.jpg
27KB, 327x650px
>>34561909
Well played, good sir! Huzzah!
>>
File: 1498961838651.gif (1018KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1498961838651.gif
1018KB, 500x281px
>>34561864
>WD40
>Dremel
>3-in-1

Are you some kind of gun sadist?
>>
>>34561992
>Solvent
>Nylon brush
>Rust preventative
Yet you call me
>gun sadist
I'm a gun surgeon
I've received very poorly maintained guns before
My advice is founded on over 20 years experience to remedy something ASAP
Take it or leave it
I don't care either way
My guns function perfectly
How about yours?
>>
>>34562023
WD40 is about 50% mineral spirits and 25% mineral oil, the remainder being propellant and shit. It will gum up, and you better hope that it plays nice with whatever other oils you use, but that's probably not much of a concern since 3-in-1, if you care to look at the MSDS, is made of 97%
>Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil
Which is a really fancy way of saying "Synthetic 20W motor oil without any barrier lubricant or antiwear additives" - so, it's really not such a concern in your case.
I'm sure if you detail strip your guns, which are undoubtedly wearing faster than they would otherwise, you will discover a whole gummy tacky mess inside the parts you can't go full ham on with a fucking DREMEL to remove the congealed disaster of your polymerizing and oxidizing lube mingled with carbon fouling.
If you really want to stick to your guns and be a GUD NUFF FER ME fudd, go get a can of mineral spirits from Home Depot and a bottle of ATF from Vatozone - Trust me, even that is miles ahead of WD40 and 3-in-1, since at least mineral spirits won't oxidize, and ATF has a decent package of anti-corrosion and boundary lubrication additives.

Personally, I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner and Hornady One Shot for the bulk of my cleaning and lubing, with a touch of moly-loaded grease on rails. Wherever the brake cleaner doesn't just wash the fouling right off, a tooth brush takes care of it in two swipes.

I hate to imagine what else you do to your guns.
>>
>>34561864
>WD-40 is a solvent only.
WD-40 is not a solvent.
>>
>>34562138
WD-40 is actually half solvent.
The problem is that the other half is the oil equivalent of garbage.
>>
>>34562126
Are you illiterate?
I state that WD-40 is a solvent and the first step in many to remedy a poorly maintained gun.
>sciency sounding rant
OMFG, loser
>muh brake cleaner feels
LOL
>>
>>34562126
I listed 3 products AND an etc just to give way to all other considerations.
You are an easily triggered autist that only focuses on one thing.
>>
>>34562023
WD40, when it evaporates, leaves behind mineral oil, which will oxidize and gum up.
>Hating on science
Sorry you didn't go to college, Cleetus.
>Hating on brake cleaner
It's literally acetone and toulene in an aerosol can. If that's not a good enough solvent for you, I don't know what is.

>>34562170
CLP is good
Hoppes, I assume you're referring to the oil and not #9, which is a cleaner, is fine.
3-in-1 is borderline garbage.
The real problem though, is saying that WD-40 is a solvent only - it's not, and leaves behind mineral oil, and also saying to "replace" it with real oil, as in - combine different oils, one of which we already know is shit, with another one that may also be shit, and hope that both oils are compatible with each other on top of that.
Besides that, a Dremel has absolutely no god damn business anywhere near a gun, Bubba.
>>
>>34562223
>Sorry you didn't go to college, Cleetus.
MSME
>toulene
MEK
>Dremel
Nylon brush, you worthless illiterate
>>
>>34562264
There's absolutely zero circumstances in which you should need a nylon brush spinning at 35k rpm to clean a gun. I can't even imagine it making cleaning it any faster than just using a toothbrush with an -appropriate- solvent.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if you're just slowly polishing away your surfaces with all of the grit that the brush has picked up.
Just put the dremel away, Billy Bob.
>>
>>34562264
>MEK
Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>34562299
VARIABLE speed Dremels exist, tard
>>
>>34562316
Just stop.
>>
>>34562327
Autist says what?
>>
>>34562334
i never knew it was possible to btfo one's self with only three words
>>
>>34560945
This semen demon, whomst is she?
>>
>>34562363
Your predictable reply is one of many proofs of your autism ITT.
>>
File: 8a8.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
8a8.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>34562470
that was my first post in this thread
>>
>>34562480
Nope.
I may not see your ID, but the posters number did not go up.
Stupid.
>>
>>34562485
shit you're right, >>34561930 was me too.

more importantly, do you regularly pay attention to number of posters in every thread you post in?
>>
>>34560945

Takes me 10 minutes for a handgun, 15 minutes for a rifle, at most.

If it's a new gun you're not familiar with, and/or you're doing a detail strip, expect it to take a while. I spent about 7 hours total to clean all the cosmoline out of an SKS before.
>>
>>34560945
5 min for my RAMI
3 min for my Jetfire
>>
>>34561803
My friends brother in law doesn't cleans his guns until they malfunction. 5-8k rounds between cleanings is normal for him. I don't understand it. I clean my guns even if I only shoot 50 rds. His logic is "how do you know they work when dirty?" My response is "when will it be dirty?"
>>
>>34560945
The more time you spend with it the more you love it
>>
i can clean my SAW thoroughly in a little over an hour, assuming I've kept up on keeping the bastard more or less clean.

no fucking way your handgun should take 2
>>
For my cleaning I just got a big thing of concentrated balistol I used slightly diluted in a spray bottle

I use it to scrub all my parts with some non scratch brushes, rinse off the dirty mix, dry the parts thoroughly and reapply a thin layer of balistol to metal or moving parts before reassembling

Never had any issues or rust yet
>>
>>34562334
What?
>>
>>34560945
For me it takes about 30-45 minutes to get it spotless. Use good products and not meme shit like hoppes.
>>
>>34562144
>>34562138
WD-40 is a WATER DISPLACER you numbnuts.
>>
>>34560945
I spend about an hour per gun I take out but I take great care of my babies. I use CLP, Q-Tips, 2 microfiber cloths, glass cleaner for wood grips, cotton balls for revolver cylinders, bore-snakes etc. I do not use brass brushes at all.
>>
>>34562223
>not using MEK

Get out
>>
>>34562223
>>34562264
>>34562300
>>34567870
>acetone
>ketone
Good luck with your plastic parts!
>>
Just spray some brake cleaner on it and be done with it.
>>
every time I go to the range I spend a good 45- 70 minutes cleaning each gun when I get back, because every micrometer has to be immaculate.
>>
Takes a good 2 hours to get a weapon to inspection level, but only like half an hour for a practical clean

The British Army is incredibly anal about cleaning weapons, the weapons they give you in training have been stripped and cleaned so much that the metal is worn completely silver.

They also don't allow you to use bore snakes(a special pullthrough that cleans the barrel in two pulls rather than 30 with a regular pullthrough), the bullshit reason they give is because "it can get stuck in the barrel", which is bullshit, you're far more likely to get that shitty 45x45mm flannelette stuck in there than a bore snake, the real reason it's banned is because it would undermine the pen pushing retard clerks that see it fit to issue us with weapon cleaning kits that are older than most soldiers serving today.

Fuck that noise I still use bore snakes
>>
>>34567988
>Buying guns with plastic parts
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.