[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are these Shockwaves considered to be non NFA regulated firearms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3339.jpg (6KB, 333x151px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3339.jpg
6KB, 333x151px
Why are these Shockwaves considered to be non NFA regulated firearms but if I want a 14inch barreled shotgun I have register it and go through all the extra cost and paperwork?
>>
>>34556428
loop holes are a thing my freind
>>
Because they are pistol grip only.
>>
>>34556428
Because the NFA's clauses on SBR and SBS are asinine. They were implemented to prevent people from circumventing a handgun ban that they ended up dropping from the NFA. Nothing about it makes fucking sense, it is all bullshit.
>>
>>34556443
Yeah but what is the logic?

Also, if I bought one of these and threw the mag tube and barrel on my 590 I'd be in deep shit right? Doesn't make sense.
>>
>>34556463
There is no logic with US firearms laws.
>>
>>34556428
"No shoulder stock = not actually a shotgun" - ATF
"Not shorter than 26 inches overall = not an AOW" - ATF
>>
>>34556452
>>34556452
Is there any hope of this law being repealed any time soon?
>>
When you make stupid fucking rules, people find a way around it.
>>
>>34556490
Bumping for an answer to this question
>>
>>34556490
The NFA? No, since the most you fucknuts can muster is a shitty Whitehouse.gov petition.
>>
>>34556463
if a shotgun comes from the factory with a stock attached it's considered a shotgun.

if a shotgun comes from the factory with a pistol grip/other attached, it's considered a firearm that uses 12g ammo

federally, a shotgun(stock attached) cannot have a barrel shorter than 18"/ however, a firearm(pistol grip) has no minimum barrel length. the only restriction a firearm has is a minimum overall length of 26", anything under than and it needs a $5 AOW tax stamp. The shockwave is legal because the overall length is 26.5"
>>
>>34556428

wait this thing is legal in california but not Texas or ohio?
>>
>>34557292
They just signed a bill in Texas called "The Mossberg Amendment" (lol). Shockwaves will be legal in Texas after September 1st this year.
>>
>>34556428
Because it's manufactured as a FIREARM, and not a shotgun. Since it's not a shotgun, because it isn't designed to be fired from the shoulder, it doesn't have to comply with the 18 inch minimum barrel law for shotguns, just the 26.5 overall inch law for "firearms".

Also, it has to be manufactured this way by a licensed gun manufacturer. You can't just put a pistol grip on a stocked mossy, and saw off the barrel to 14 inches.
>>
File: Commieforniasshotgunlogic.png (70KB, 1870x437px) Image search: [Google]
Commieforniasshotgunlogic.png
70KB, 1870x437px
>>34557292
California made the Shockwave Illegal when they passed a Senate Bill to close the loopholes and laws that made the Taurus Circuit Judge, legal.

Apparently it was because they thought the Judge would lead to people manufacturing CA Compliant Cobray PreschoolSweepers with rifled barrels.
>>
>>34557233
/thread
>>
These are considered pistols in Maryland and require a pistol license. Fucking gay.
>>
>>34557457

nice, good for you Texas gl e8th the commiefornia expats

>>34557551

darn, I was looking at them on PSA and they weren't explicitly a no sale to.
>>
Another related question:

Say I decided to go the $200 tax stamp/paperwork/wait around for approval route for converting my 20 inch 590 to a 14 inch.
Can I buy the conversion kit with the barrel before I get approval as long as I don't install the barrel on the gun or do I need the approval before I even purchase the barrel?
>>
>>34557832

Best practice is to not have the barrel with the gun (concerns about constructive possession), but you haven't manufactured anything until you've installed the 14" barrel.
>>
>>34558562
Cool. Thanks for the response. Is the purchase itself constructive intent? Or could I purchase the barrel but have it shipped to a relative and have it kept there until I receive approval?
>>
>>34556463
>Logic? This is Congress.

The rules that govern the NFA are themselves arbitrary and poorly defined or explained, meaning Mossman can shit out another 500 with a worthless stock and a hand strap for way too much money and grin all the way to the bank.
>>
Let's get down to brass tacks here

What would it truly take to repeal the nfa?

Only thing I think I could personally do is run for low level government in the hopes of getting higher and higher til I can do some actual work on it.

I don't think protesting will work with this one
>>
>>34558606

It's hard to say.

Constructive possession is basically somebody like me saying "had we caught them at another time instead of right now, they would have had the completed contraband."

It's going to require a showing of intent on your part. So, evidence of things like, oh, I don't know, taking pictures and putting them on the internet that are of a gun that's clearly pre-stamp? Probably a good case. An unpacked barrel next to the gun, which doesn't have a barrel installed?
Again, probably a good case because I could argue there's intent to assemble. A 14" barrel still in the packaging, along with a copy of the applied-for NFA paperwork? Maybe not so great of a case.
>>
>>34559029
Interesting. Thanks for your insight.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.