[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any info on how the AK front trunnions are machined?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (14KB, 621x494px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14KB, 621x494px
Does anyone have any info on how the AK front trunnions are machined? Looks like a fairly complex job, no wonder companies turn to casting them.
>>
>>34549914
Machinist fag here. That's a cast part that's finish machined. You could machine the whole thing but it would take a shit ton of fixtures and some specialty tooling.
>>
>>34549975
AK guy here
hey're forged not cast anywhere except the US
>>
there is nothing wrong with casting. assuming you use appropriate alloy, casting methods, and properly heat treat it.

in fact casting allows for better heat treating. resulting in better parts than forging.
>>
>>34549998
Which features do they forge?
>>
>>34550029
So casting isn't inherently a bad manufacturing process for trunnions, US manufacturers just don't do it correctly
>>
>>34550040
I've seen one video of it where the sweaty Vietnamese guys rough in the cleft down the middle and dowel (broach? Idk the right term) out the center for chamber end of the barrel, and everything else is machined in so it just looks like cube with a hole down the middle and a bowled out part down the back.
Take that with a grain of salt.
>>
>>34550040
ALL OF IT
>>
>>34549975
No, it's not "machinist" fag. A 4th axis or even a 5th axis machine can make one in no time at all. Casting just makes an inferior product
>>
>>34552182
Ruger pretty much casts all of their revolver frames and cylinders as well as actions for their rifles
They seem ok
>>
>>34552254
>using Ruger as a fucking reference for anything
>>
>>34552182
From what I can see in the opening picture, you could probably even get away with an indexer instead of a proper 4th axis.
>>
>>34552182
>because drunken Slavs had 5 axis CBC in the 1960's
>>
>>34552475
CNC not CBC. I'm a degenerate fone poster. sue me.
>>
>>34550161
As usual for the AK market, yes.
>>
>>34552475
Slavs? No, probably not.
Here's a great video Remington made in 69 showing off some really neat shit, though.
If you ever wondered why M30 is called "end program, rewind", it's because they literally used spools of magnetic tape back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIb20fDTY4
>>
>>34552475
They used fixtures and jigs on manual mills back in the day, but we should expect better products to come out today, especially when a machine can literally do everything in one push of a button. But no they would rather cast the receiver, trunnion, bolt carrier, maybe even the bolt to save money...

For example look at mazak's multiplex, and integrex machines. Those machines can make a trunnion faster than a bunch of drunken Slavs with hammers
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.