[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taking a friend to the range tomorrow. He's never shot a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3366.jpg (82KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3366.jpg
82KB, 300x240px
Taking a friend to the range tomorrow. He's never shot a gun before. How do I make sure he has a good time and doesnt fuck up?
>>
>>34546219
Probably shoot him beforehand, so he knows how it feels. Start with 22 so he can build up his immunity
>>
>>34546219
Bring a 10/22, start him out with that. Load the gun for him the first time. Also make sure you give him good earpro.
>>
>>34546359
This is solid advice, I teach everyone on a UCM-2 or a CM-2 as their firs rifle, by the end of the day most people end shooting the m1 or the 91/30

A good thing to do is go over how to step up to the firing line, how load your weapon, how to check your weapon ( i.e is it loaded, did I fuck up, anything else) , go over the " if you get nervous ; finger off trigger set the weapon down muzzle down range" and so on and so forth. Reactive targets like water bottles or steel poppers ( if your range allows em) are great as they give instant feed back, paper doesn't do much on its own.

Don't lecture, but introduce, don't be "that guy".
>>
Give him good earpro, blasts initially scares people.

Give him a good lecture about the 4 golden rules.

1-every gun's always loaded
2-muzzle always pointing in safe direction
3-don't put fingor in triggor until ready to fire
4-be sure of the target and what's behind it

don't do a long speech but be sure he grasps the safeties. people appreciate that you aren't a redneck and feel safer and doing something in the correct way.

start small, but if you have something properly mid range (9mm or such) let them shoot it. You shoot first to demostrate that in the proper way, no one dies and no one gets hurt.
>>
>>34546219
Start him with how to operate the guns sans ammunition. I once made the mistake of trusting a guy that he'd been shooting before by handing him a pistol with nothing chambered and a full magazine. He loaded a round, turned, pointed the gun right at my dick, and asked how he should hold it.
>>
The suggestion to start with a .22 rifle is a good one. I have three of them: a 10/22 Takedown, a Radom WZ-48, and an AR-7, and start people on one of the three depending on who they are and where we're going. The WZ-48 is basically a .22lr Mosin-Nagant, so with all that heavy wood and steel it has honestly zero felt recoil. It's also the most fun for someone who likes history or old military rifles. The AR-7 is convenient to take innawoods or on road trips, but is so light that there's a definite, though mild, kick to it. And the 10/22 is, well, a 10/22. Of the three, I actually like using the WZ the best - it's a single-shot bolt-action, so it's by far the simplest to use, and it's heavy, so nobody will want to take it off the bench and muzzle sweep everyone while I have my back turned loading magazines, which it also doesn't use. That said, I've taken all three of them to the range with friends for their first time shooting, and a good time was had by all.
>>
I'm taking my friend too. She's nervous as fuck but wants to shoot a revolver.
I got my .22 boltie, and was gonna give her a .357 revolver after she got used to it. Is this a good plan?
>>
>>34547303
Load it with .38 special and you're golden. If she likes that, give her some .357 to shoot through it.
>>
File: p30 - g19.jpg (173KB, 631x436px) Image search: [Google]
p30 - g19.jpg
173KB, 631x436px
>>34546219
double up his hearing protection in case it turns out he's sensitive to the noise. Bring some paper for understanding what's going wrong when mi9ssing but also something reactionary so he can relax and plink a bit.
(((upotte!))) stream btw
livestream
DOT
com
/7hateslivestream
>>
>>34547374
Problem being I don't have a revolver in .357
I'm gonna have to rent one and my fucking range charges 27$ for a box of .357
Probably around 20 for a box of .38 spec
i'd rather get out there for less than 50$
I'd only give her it with one in the cylinder, just in case
>>
>>34546219
Make sure that when you teach him about safety that you reinforce that he must make everyone he ever meets ever know that he knows all about gun safety so he looks super cool because he likes guns as his hobby.
>>
>>34546219
As previously stated
>thoroughly explain Firearms safety
>start off with .22
>double ear pro

>>34547303
See above. Also make sure she starts off with .38 special.
>>
>>34547505
Of course, that's a given.
Mm, I'll ask em how much .38 spec is, I guess. I don't mind dropping more money if I have to.
>>
>>34546219
Good advice here, but I'd add that you want to have him practice a bit with an empty gun before hitting the range. Make sure he understands rules 1, 2 and 3 before even letting him anywhere near live ammo. If he keeps pointing it at things or if he keeps the finger on trigger, call the whole thing off.
>>
>>34546219
Keep an eye on him at all times, have one gun out on the table at a time, don't assume after a few mags that he's "ready to load up and shoot in his own lane"

Seriously I cannot stress this enough, I've taught multiple people to shoot and inexperienced shooters will make your jaw drop at the things they fuck up.

Was teaching a friend of a friend to shoot pistol with a 1911. After I showed him how to load the mag, insert it and rack the slide, he fired off all 7 rounds.

I handed him another loaded mag, he inserted it and racked the slide, fired one round then attempted to rack the slide again, wasn't strong enough and began to fumble with it while a round was already in the chamber after the first shot.

THIS STUPID FUCK TURNED THE GUN AROUND, FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, MUZZLE POINTING DIRECTLY AT HIS HEART, AND BEGAN TO FUMBLE WITH THE PISTOL AGAIN.

>I've never moved faster in my life

I reached out and put my left hand on the hammer, grabbed the muzzle with my right hand, pointed it towards the ground between us, trying not to scream in his face about how he could have just accidently killed himself with somebody else's gun.
>>
>>34546219

Make sure you let him shoot an AR-15 assault style rifle. They're horrifying, menacing and very very loud.
>>
Make him cum, maybe take him somewhere nice to eat afterwards.
>>
Teach him the basic four rules of gun safety, make sure he is at least slightly prepared for the typical range tards, start him on a .22 or similar, make sure he can pick up on reloading/unloading safely
>>
>>34546219
This thread reminds me why I seldom drop in on /k/.
>>
>>34551415
Of all the threads, why this one?
>>
>>34551415
>people give decent advice
>anon is assblasted no one is telling made up stories about fucking their sister or curb stomping Mexicans
>crawls back to /b/ andor /pol/
Good riddance.
>>
>>34546219
Give him a GP100 22lr then a GP100 with .38 spl+p
>>
>>34546219
Give him 4 or 5 strong beers beforehand.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.