[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really want a luger p08 9mm for shooting. What sort of inspection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Luger_P08_(6971793777).jpg (132KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
Luger_P08_(6971793777).jpg
132KB, 1280x850px
I really want a luger p08 9mm for shooting. What sort of inspection items should I look for if I get the chance to fingerfuck one? I'm really worried that I'll buy one and find it's not in working order or it's in 7.65, not 9mm

What should I look for to keep myself from getting swindled, /k/?
>>
File: Nambupistol2465.jpg (324KB, 1280x923px) Image search: [Google]
Nambupistol2465.jpg
324KB, 1280x923px
>>34544080
Nambu/walther P38 advice welcome too although I don't expect to find the Nambu's cartridge anywhere
>>
>>34544181
http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=85
http://www.mrnambu.com/brass.htm
https://www.buffaloarms.com/8mm-nambu-ammunition-100-grain-full-metal-jacketed-bullet-loaded-with-reformed-cases-box-of-50-amo8mmnambu2?___SID=U
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search?keywords=8mm+Nambu
>>
>>34544181
i forgot one
http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com
>>
>>34544294
>>34544277
Wow thanks!

I'm asking because the cabelas near me has 2 nambus, a luger p08, and a p38 for sale although I'm wary of the nambus because on their tags the model is listed as "pistol" and the caliber is listed as "none" which could mean that cabelas is dumb as shit or that the guns are incapable of fire
>>
>>34544409
>cabelas is dumb as shit
your answer is in your statement, and in the off chance they are babies in 7mm ?Nambu alot of the listed ones make that too. And if the lugers are .30 luger that is still in active production as well, again the internet is your friend. And for nambus wolff makes new springs
>>
>>34544409
Listen to >>34544429 OP. Cabela's is dumb as shit. One near me has a WW1 STEYR in their collection but can't figure out what it shoots. They priced it at 400$ because of that I think.
>>
>>34544080
>Ensure all numbered parts on the gun match (i.e. "1436" equates to "36" on all numbered parts), or it loses twenty percent of its blue-book value.
-This includes field-stripping it down to the striker.
>Ensure the gun can fire, via "hammer drop".
-It's striker-fired, but that's beside the point.
>Ensure P08 has original magazine (also numbered) and not aftermarket junk.

All I can think of off the top of my head, anyway.
>>
"Code 42" or DWM?
>>
>>34544504
Thanks!

>>34544519
Dunno lol I couldn't get a very close look at it. It was in a case and I didn't have a whole lot of time to talk to staff about handling it.
>>
>>34544567
Next time, if there's one, ask the showman to look at the top of the P08's "toggle"; he should be able to tell you, immediately.

"Code 42" Lugers are the most common you'll find. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny for it, though.
>>
>>34544080
P08, things to check:
- Overall shape outside. Original finish is simply stunningly beautiful - excellent bluish blue with straw-yellow finish on trigger + disassembly switch. On later pistols it is not less attractive and re-finished pistols are not uncommon either.
- Manufacturer and when made (markings on top of chamber and toggle). Value-wise earlier the better (if not messed with).
- Bore (can be checked with mag inserted and toggle pulled back or pistol disassembled).
- Matching serial numbers. Having them has major effect on value. Last digits of serial number are marked in all major and pretty much all small parts and this includes also wooden grip panels (which you should not try removing unless you know exactly how, since they are easily cracked if done wrong).
- Originally grip panels were wood, plastic ones were issued later as replacement (but are not necessarily historically incorrect since for example Finland and East-Germany issued plastic grip panels in post WW2 era).
- Mag(s): There were several versions made. Oldest ones have wooden button on the bottom, later ones have buttons made from aluminum or bakelite or plastic. In addition reproductions have been made later (Mec_Gar being most common). All mags tend to be expensive, but their values vary.

When pistol is disassembled carefully inspect the toggle. It is the structurally weakest point and breaks down first if the pistol has been shot too much with ammo that was too hot (several countries had hotter ammo for SMGs).

Also, check the sight picture - it has sharp tipped front sight and V-notch in rear sight, sometimes in post-ware era front sights posts were replaced and rear-sight opened up as U-notch.

Also test trigger - sometimes trigger components have been filed to get hair-trigger - very had idea considering those components are only surface-hardened.

Pulling back the toggle should require a bit of effort. It you can do it without any, its time to replace recoil spring.

1/2
>>
>>34544567
Ensure you DON'T pull the trigger when the safety's on, as indicated by a small sliver of steel (also numbered) slipping up from the frame, just in front of the toggle's grip-rings. You can easily snap the sear, and those are an ass-ache and a half to replace.
>>
>>34544617
2/2 continued...

If you need new springs they are available from Wolff. New mags are available from Mec-Gar, but they are to necessarily terribly reliable, in fact reliability-wise original German milled mags seem to the best ones available.

Due to (late) finish, serial numbers and mag (with aluminum button) my educated guess is that the pistol in OP's photo was manufactured by Mauser. Sights seem to be in original configuration and grip panels may be original as well. Very nice overall with only little bit of holster-wear.

If you are in States and plan shooting the pistol a lot, a "shooter range" pistol with some mixed serial numbers might be a more sensible choice than the more expensive ones.
>>
>>34544732
Op here. Thanks for all that info! The pic I posted is from Wikipedia. Only relevant image I had in my phone. I don't much care about it's historical significance (not to say I wouldn't respect its significance if it had any); I'm buying to shoot it so mixed serials is fine with me. In a perfect world, P08s would be as commonly manufacured as 1911s and I could just go to a gun store and pick one from a bunch of factory fresh ones.
>>
>>34544504
Matching parts doesn't really matter for a shooter, does it?
>>
>>34544718
Jesus christ seriously? That's why I'm so uneasy about getting one. Or any milsurp gun, really. I feel like they're all antiques that will break if looked at to hard. I'd hate to break it by forgetting the safety is on
>>
>>34545081
*too
Stupid phone
>>
>>34545066

Not to my experience. I have heard story about P08 with side plate assembly that had different serial number and did not fire always, but that might be been another issue (lever bent or out of shape?) or just a story. Obviously its smart to test any used pistol by at least dry firing it before buying it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.