[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get my first gun, what's a rifle that can teach

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Balanced-Operation-17.jpg (36KB, 930x387px) Image search: [Google]
Balanced-Operation-17.jpg
36KB, 930x387px
I want to get my first gun, what's a rifle that can teach me the basics of gun disciple? Like, assembly and disassembly, cleaning, practicing with it etc. Any recommendations /k/
>>
>>34540360
10/22 and someone who isn't retarded to teach you.
>>
>>34540360
Obvious answer is the 10/22
Other than that almost any entry level AR would be good. Something like the M&P
>>
One you like to shoot. A gun you like to shoot and want to shoot will get you out to the range more. All of them need disassembly, cleaning, etc.
>>
10/22, or if you wanna skip babby stage then its a nice AR market out there. it'll definitely teach you how to clean it since it'll shit the bed without it.
>>
>>34540386
Isn't that a little pricier?
>>
File: hitlar.jpg (70KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
hitlar.jpg
70KB, 657x527px
>>34540360
lube ur gas chamber
>>
>>34540393
yeah but you're getting alot more rifle out of the money. I'm an akfag but damn if the market isn't great for a beginner AR right now. So many competitors and the prices are so low for what you get.
>>
>>34540393
Yes, like $200-ish for a .22 vs $500-ish for a low end AR. .22LR is cheaper as well. Cheap starter gun that may set aside later vs not quite as cheap gun that's more useful later.
>>
>>34540452
the model.22 LR a good starter?
>>
>>34540519
ruger 10/22
>>
>>34540360
AK and SKS are prolly some of the easiest automatics to master and fiddle with.
>>
People need to stop recommending .22LR guns for first guns. Get something using a better cartridge for defense.
>>
>>34541310
The point of 22 as a starter gun is that you can learn fundamentals without developing bad shooting habits like flinch.
22 is a good first gun. Better weapons for defence and other uses come in later.
>>
File: IMG_8913.jpg (19KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8913.jpg
19KB, 225x225px
>>34541479
>developing flinch
I didn't realize we were spreading fuddlore now.
You're going to accustom the shooter to lesser recoil and you're making him waste money on something that isn't a CC. Giving a new shooter a .22lr as his first gun will also bore him to death and turn him off of guns as a hobby. Also, I noticed you dipshits all like to say "as long as you have someone who knows what theyre doing teaching you" as if every new shooter is going to know what makes a good instructor and as if they're always going to be able to have that luxury.

Go fuck yourself and everyone else who shills this 10/22 meme. Teaching yourself to follow through on your shots is not impossible and you don't need a varmint gun to learn it, you fucking faggots.
>>
>>34541560
Jesus christ don't listen to this idiot. He's either trolling or is a complete fucking retard.
There's a reason why .22s are recommended for first-time shooters.

>>34540360
OP, get a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin model 60 and practice the fundamentals. Marlins have an 18 round tube magazine straight out of the box, but 10/22s have a plethora of aftermarket products.
Read on the fundamentals of marksmanship, and practice with your .22 LR until you're confident with it.

Then you can move up to a bigger cartridge. Depending on what you want and your budget, maybe an entry-level AR or AK.
You could also look at something like the SKS (just use the right ammo, they're known to slamfire ammo with sensitive primers), or a bolt-action milsurp.
If you find that milsurps like the Mosin, 8 or 7mm Mausers or Swiss straight-pulls are too harsh, check out the Swedish mauser.
>>
>>34541626
>recommending the SKS or any other milsurp to new shooters in 2017
>muh .22lr to laern fundamentals
>calling other people idiots

It's like some of you guys are stuck in 2010.
>>
>>34540386
>it'll definitely teach you how to clean it since it'll shit the bed without it.
Fuck off Elmer/Ivan.
>>
File: contact.jpg (868KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
contact.jpg
868KB, 2560x1440px
>>34540360
>assembly and disassembly, cleaning, practicing
I'd start with a bolt action.
My first gun was a Turk Mauser; was easy to learn how to clean and disassemble.
Downside was the caliber of bullet, kicks pretty hard for a first gun, and ammo can be pricey.
Best of luck anon.
>>
>>34540360
used to be everyone said .22 in answer to this. Now that there's ammo again for <10 cents a round it's good advice again. I'd say avoid the TD model of 10/22 (very disappointed in accuracy). And really any bolt or semi .22 is a good choice.

Nowadays you get a bunch of AR fanboys who say get an AR because the 5.56 is the perfect caliber and does everything. Ignore them. If you decide you want to get an AR that's great enjoy. But for training you need trigger time, and that's easier with a cheaper round .22 is again king here. Even match grade stuff will cost less than any centerfire rifle.

The .22 scarcity has improved a couple other options if you don't want to get a 22: Decent Airgun or a Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Airgun isn't a real gun, and I'm not talking about a cheap BB gun, I'm talking real gun money. A quality pellet gun (pneumatic not springer) will teach you a crap ton about accuracy and what you need to do to get it. Actually watching the pellet go through the paper taught me more about follow through than .22 did. And you can do this in your own home. 500 rounds spread out in 10 sessions of 50 is better than a long day at the range going through 500 rounds. Downside is that it's not as much fun.

PCC is a relatively new option. You get the same barrel life as the .22 but also better availability of ammo in exchange for slightly more expense per round. A fun option.

And for a basic rifle position beginning instruction you aren't going to beat the appleseed program. I've been hearing some "I could learn all that from a book" about them, and complaints about their politics, but realistically a n00b will benefit and it's the best bang for your buck.
>>
>>34541560
ignore this retard and a get a bolt .22lr or something abit bigger. learn practice then move on to whatever interests you next
>>
>>34540360
Most guns disassemble slightly differently, so no sense in practicing. Just get the rifle you want and master it
>>
Get yer boy a Degtyarev DP 28, Parts kits aren't that expensive and it's a decent first rifle
>>
>>34544261
>But for training you need trigger time

If you can't learn how to shoot with an intermediate centerfire caliber, all you're doing is wasting more ammo for less money while not improving. You learn everything .22lr can teach you in a single range trio unless you're substantially learning challenged.
>>
>>34545427
yeah....no. Just...no.

There's a reason precision shooting is an olympic sport. And I guaran-fucking-tee you they didn't just pick up one afternoon and master it. There's a reason Jerry Freaking Miculek trains with a 22 as well instead of just 5.56x45. Not his promo cross training with everything, but he has a 22 that he says he uses to train with regularly. Fucking hell steel challenge has a 22 division and I'll bet damn good money you haven't won that, nor could you with your self-proclaimed one afternoon mastery.

Yes you need to train with the caliber you intend to use. Yes you need to get used to the recoil so it's not surprising you. But the lowly 22 can teach you for the rest of your life.

Fucking hell. I hope to God I'm never on a firing line with you because you are nowhere near as good as you think you are.
>>
>>34540371
Specifically for what you're wanting (which is the exact thing you should be doing), 10/22 all the way. Or any .22 that has the type of action that interests you.
>>
>>34540406
I agree. I adore my AK, but god damn. Some guy built a $295 AR over the last month. That's some crazy shit.
>>
File: download (18).jpg (4KB, 527x96px) Image search: [Google]
download (18).jpg
4KB, 527x96px
>>34540360

Marlin xt-22

>cheaper than a 10/22
>you can't magdump so it teaches you each shot counts
>easy to disassemble
>accurate
>you can put a cheapo 4x scope on it and blast targets from 50 yards away
>doesn't have a slipperyass buttplate
>has a decent trigger
>>
>>34544261

>airgun

As long as it's not a break barrel
>>
Get an AK its literally a beater rifle. Child soldiers can maintain it
>>
>>34546325
Yep. Stay away from break barrels, they're springers.

>>34540360
The reason is OP That they have odd recoil, you can be accurate but it's different from a real firearm. You want a single pump, multipump, or precharged pneumatic (starts getting complicated with PCPs and expensive, but some quality shit there).
>>
>>34546447

Benjamin's pump .22 is pretty gud, they also have a couple entry level pcps too
>>
>>34540360
10/22
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.