[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi dudes, noob here. Can I just point my AR (with laser boresighter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 41rA4KACa4L._SY355_.jpg (14KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41rA4KACa4L._SY355_.jpg
14KB, 355x355px
Hi dudes, noob here. Can I just point my AR (with laser boresighter inside) across my house to the far wall, which is probably 25 yards away, and zero that way? Or should I still go to the range to use live rounds?
>>
>>34528524
Get bore site from laser then go to the range and site it in for real.
>>
i did mine that way and its zeroed fine, although it might be worth making the trip to the range if you want to be extra sure that its zeroed perfectly
>>
yeah, like the rest of the thread said. you can boresight in your house (i love playing with funs indoors), and then make sure your zero is solid on the range. that is if you wanna be zeroed to 25 yards
>>
>>34528569
I have a 3x optic mounted, that means I should zero at 100 yards right? If so looks like I'm going to the range either way lol
>>
>>34528669
Get a ballistics calculator and plug in the data for your ammo. Not sure if you'll have one or two zeros when your far zero is at 100 yards. If two, then you can use the laser to zero at the near zero, which will be like 17 yards or something. Pic related. Then go to the range and check it.
>>
>>34528726
is it bad to use steel case to zero? i'ts all I can really afford atm
>>
>>34528760
A zero is only good for one particular set of ballistic characteristics, so zero with whatever ammo you'll be shooting.
>>
>>34528815
got it, thanks for the help dude
>>
>>34528815
BTW, even things like altitude and temperature can change your zero, but probably not enough to notice at 100 yards. Changing your ammo can make a big difference, though.
>>
>>34528760
If you can't afford $20 to buy a 50 round box of hornady steel match you shouldn't own guns
>>
>>34528969
bruh
>>
Virtually all boresights on the market do not have a properly zeroed laser and are just aids to get on paper within several inches for sighting.

If you had one, you likely could verify this by roating the laser in the chamber and seeing your zero go in a circle or other shape.

You'd actually be better off putting it somewhere secure and directly boresighting it on a round target.
>>
File: 1487791753127.jpg (58KB, 564x561px) Image search: [Google]
1487791753127.jpg
58KB, 564x561px
>>34528524
>across my house to the far wall,
>25yrds away
>>
>>34528524
Generally the bore sight will get you on the target at 100yards. But different ammo will act a bit different and it is a good idea to sight in at the range. And really you should train as much as you can.
>>
>>34529335

I have a friend who can probably pull a 25 yard straight line in his house.

Mind you, he's not what you'd call poor.
>>
>>34528524
>do I have to try something for real to see if it actually works?

Gee, OP, I don't know.
>>
>>34528524
Buy ammo instead of boresighter. Take to range, get on paper. Note how bad your group is. Practice until better.
>>
>>34528524
You can walk 25 paces in a straight line in your house and not hit a wall? I lived in a four bedroom house with all 4 rooms going down a lone off a hall way and couldn't do that.
>>
How to zero a rifle.

>Step one

Go to the 25 yard range or even closer. Get windage correct and about 1" low

>Step Two
Go to 50 yards, get 1" high

If you want to zero at 100, you should be right on the money at this point.
>>
File: 20160112_161215 (2017x1135).jpg (1MB, 2017x1135px) Image search: [Google]
20160112_161215 (2017x1135).jpg
1MB, 2017x1135px
>>34529335
some people have nice houses
>not me
>>
>>34528524
>>34528532

This OP, good question for new guys though. Bullets do not fly like a laser, there's a lot of variables involved.

When you buy a laser boresight its only purpose is to get new sights or a gun thats had something like a barrel change shooting onto paper so you can adjust them from there. It is not where the bullets will land.

Also, since you said youre new keep a few things in mind.

>depending on what distance you're shooting, you will shoot significanty low at close range like 10 yards but on target from further out like 100 yards because of how high your sights are compared to where the actual barrel is.

>A specific gun of the same make and model will group better with one ammunition compared to another gun exactly the same.

>Different ammunition of the same weight and caliber may have significantly different points of impact. Find one nice round your gun likes and stick with it.

I buy one cheap brand for plinking and handload another for accuracy, the POI just happens to be only slightly different so I can still practice with it well enough.

Lastly, a suggestion, if you have fat flip up sights on an AR you should probably sight it in for 50 yards. If you have nice fixed sights or the blades are very narrow I'd suggest 100 or 200 yards
>>
>>34528760

Theyre fine, just run a bit dirtier on average and over a long time parts wear out faster but not fast enough to justify some expensive rounds. I shoot a 1400$ AR I built and I use steel more than anything because it's still cheaper to replace parts. Clean it more often and its cool.

By the way, buy in bulk online to save A LOT of money but make sure you know your gun cycles that brand well. Some guns will, some won't. If you can get a thousand rounds 5 cents cheaper per round after shipping you saved $50 you can buy another 5 boxes with. Ammunition takes 30 years before it might start to go bad, you're going to shoot them before they go bad.
>>
>>34529335
Ranch style home, ftw!
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.