[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For example, the helm has a touchscreen control system — t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

For example, the helm has a touchscreen control system — the only one of its kind. “There’s no more manual throttles; it’s all push-button,” he said.

What could go wrong????

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/07/11/trump-closer-12-carrier-navy-goal-uss-gerald-ford/
>>
>>34519482
since you put four question marks I think you have a few ideas. so lets hear those problems you're concerned about.
>>
>>34519524
let's not because it's probably some poorly-thought out crap by someone who doesn't know the first thing about electronics
>>
>>34519482
Redundant computer terminals with keyboard and mouse is probably the best way to do these things that used to be done with big finessed mechanical controls. Shame they seem so tawdry.

Like the helm for instance. Instead of a nice wheel and long training just fill in the form on your budget UI: add turn radius, rate of attack, new heading.

Then an ugly piece of computer code smacks switches incomprehensibly on some hydraulic pumps far far away. Correct result.
>>
>>34519524
What hppn when button get stuck???? That why mig use lever not button!
Russia 1
Fatnik 0
>>
>>34519482
>Not making sure there were manual failsafes for the cylon invasion

what were they thinking...
>>
It's like Star Trek where you can access the controls from any terminal in the ship provided you have command codes.
>>
>>34519727
Steering by wheel is called follow up and steering by button is called non follow up. These systems are already in place on every merchant ship.

Whats the big deal?
>>
>>34520032
The deal is don't need the wheel -the wheel is an unnecessary pseudo-mechanical interface and just commands hydraulic servos.
>>
File: img-4-e1499827689415.jpg (83KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
img-4-e1499827689415.jpg
83KB, 480x640px
>>34519482
...carbon fiber sinks?
>>
>>34519482
Touchscreen or manual control, either way, there is a backup method of controlling the ship, right?
>>
>>34520060
Saves weight. Doing that for every sink, in every bathroom, adds up.
>>
>>34520060
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (having done 4 years on the Ghettoprise, and being thoroughly cynical about all things Navy) and say that's cheap shitty plastic, that will break at the first solid smack, and is just specced to look like carbon fiber b/c no one was paying any attention to the 19 year old Supply Department asshole who ordered them.
>Picrelated: LSSA's (his) car
>>
>>34520155
Aaaaand I was wrong http://www.dailypress.com/news/military/ford-carrier/dp-nws-gerald-ford-media-day-20170710-story.html. Jesus goddamned tittyfucking christ. And no urinals anymore. Fucking genius. So when it's mid cruise, 30 minutes after lunch, and all the stalls are full of people taking a shit and jerking it, you'll have to piss in the fucking sink, all in the name of making it easier to accommodate the hypothetical female/trans/attack helicopter sailors that are NOT going to actually make up any significant portion of the crew at any point in the future.

Genius.
>>
File: IMG_2995.jpg (139KB, 980x648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2995.jpg
139KB, 980x648px
>>34519727
>2017
>>
>>34520172
Everybody does not eat at the same time.
Though navy is so disgusting anyway so it would not surprise me if they did piss in the sink and shower floor all the time.
>>
>>34520127
Also adds cost.
Do you really suppose that the carbon fiber sinks save so much weight over a fiberglass, plastic, or even alloy sink that it justifies the massive added cost that they surely have?
>>
>>34519482
Does it come with Apple ShipPlay though? And what about automatic climate control?
>>
>>34520407
you would be surprised how cheap carbon fiber can be when you are making thousands and thousands of the same part. The reason it has been so expensive is because of low production and exotic manufacturers price points.
>>
>>34520172
You just know some politician somewhere is patting xirself on the back for being so progressive in having the Ford class be urinal free.
>>
File: 1474940648494.jpg (69KB, 640x795px) Image search: [Google]
1474940648494.jpg
69KB, 640x795px
>>34520442
I'm in the Royal Canadian Navy. Our ships (built ca. 1990) don't have urinals. Amazingly, it works just fine.
>>
>>34520486
That's because you're Canadians. Real people work differently.
>>
>>34519482
Wow they modernized what is called a ship's telegraph

You didn't actually think they connect the nuclear reactor to the bridge by levers and bellcranks, did you?
>>
File: 1493377249181.png (170KB, 1733x632px) Image search: [Google]
1493377249181.png
170KB, 1733x632px
>>34520320
The majority of people on a large surface vessel do eat within the same time frame during daylight hours. This does, in fact, lead to a line for the shitters, and sailors in the middle of cruise will, in fact, sit there and jack it while the guy next to them takes a shit; b/c seriously, time is precious, and no homo. Don't get me wrong, the females are nastier, but pissing in sinks (or in bilges, funnels, off the side, etc) is a regular occurrence.

Getting rid of urinals is the kind of stupid move that could only have been done by ship designers or officers.
>>
>>34520826

people would just share toilets on my boat. Three guys can piss into the same toilet at the same time no problem
>>
>>34520433
This.

Mass production is different from a single car made of Carbon Fiber.
>>
>>34520964
No stall partitions? Also, what kind of boat? (Probably doesn't help that that shitheap I was on was designed in the '50s)
>>
>>34520984

the dividers were removed because they were manufactured wrong and had sharp edges, so people would keep cutting themselves on them (a problem considering how gross the toilets are)

>what kind of boat?

They were brand new CLFs at the time, with blue LEDs for lighting instead of regular lightbulb
>>
>>34519482
There's no way recent ships don't have drive-by-wire controls.

Fly-by-wire has been around since the 1930s for gods sakes, and has been used in passenger aviation since the 80s. Why would it be unfit to handle a ship?
>>
>>34520486
That's because Canucks have no penises.
>>
>>34521109
>CLFs
Huh? Oilers?
>>
>>34519482
>Breitshart
>>
>>34521151

no, but we hung around them. This was us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_and_Clark-class_dry_cargo_ship

keep in mind, my experience was about ten years ago. Also some of the plumbing was fucked too, I was "kind" enough to buy the ship a big thing of putty and some buckets which apparently prevented a lot of fuckups while we were underway
>>
>>34520433
and because its slow as shit to make
cabon fiber sinks is fucking insane

"WELL WE HAVE A BUDGET OF 50 MILLION FOR THE BATHROOMS, WHAT CAN WE GET WITH THAT?"
>>
>>34521308
economies of scale will increase the speed of production. Its traditionally "slow" because companies make one part at a time.
>>
>>34519482
>What could go wrong????
the front can fall off
>>
>>34521909
I just want to make it clear, that normally doesn't happen.
>>
>>34520525
Next you're going to tell me they've done away with speaking tubes and whore pits. Poppycock, sir. Poppycock I say.
>>
>>34521149
They reproduce by rubbing their foreheads together, then a baby is created from a bud. Once ready, the baby will fall off and navigate to the nearest source of maple syrup.
>>
>>34519482
>what are LRUs

Protip m8: if teh screen gets a hole, teh windows int he screen move away so u can still touch. Its liek magik.

Then the mechanics rip the old one out and plug in a new screen from stores. Analog control technology is less reliable, and harder to fix when it breaks.
>>
>>34521872
It's slow because rolling carbon fiber is slow, go look at a video of it.
Also the carbon fiber itself is pretty expensive.

Theres no real economy of scale in this if one machine takes 4 hours to make a sink or something like that.
>>
>>34520407
>Also adds cost.

Saving weight is more important than saving money.

Have you ever paid for a nice thing in your life? Can you actually not comprehend paying more for something of higher value? Do you just shop at the dollar store and only wear stuff you find in dumpsters?
>>
>>34522429
Saving weight on a ship by replacing the fucking sinks with carbon fiber is idiocy

There are a million other places to start saving weight before sinks.

How well will this shit last? How many times will they need to be replaced in the next 40 years? How easily are they broken? etc

It's typical government insanity
>>
>>34519735
How did Russia's last carrier operations go?

Huh?
>>
>>34522463
>There are a million other places to start saving weight before sinks.

Yeah dude, I'm absolutely certain that this is

1) The only place that they saved weight. They tried literally nothing else except this.

2) The cost of these sinks will bankrupt the country and/or make us lose the war.

Have you ever tried not being a complete retard? You are becoming hysterical over this, and for what?
>>
>>34522529
levers performed admirably.
it was the rest of the carrier that crapped out.
>>
>>34522355
>have 40 sink molds.
>put carbon sheets in molds add resin
>repeat times 40
>place all molds in autoclave
>you just made 40 sinks at once.

What about this is hard for you to understand???
>>
File: bridgepic5.jpg (18KB, 340x230px) Image search: [Google]
bridgepic5.jpg
18KB, 340x230px
>>34519482
I bet you think that wheel on the bridge turns the rudder and the speed setting the engines.

>We Star Trek now
>>
>>34519482
>What could go wrong????
Why don't you tell me what you think you can go wrong and I'll sit here and tell you why you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>34523067
Or, more likely, there's an automated line that lays on 20 or more in a single mold and it gets autoclaved and trimmed by CNC.
>>
>>34522546
>levers performed admirably

I love you vatniks, never change.
>>
are there shitters on the hangar deck now?

i remember when I took a tour of the GW in Yokosuka, as part of a unit event in place of sgt's time training. there were no shitters on the hangar deck. you had to walk to the middle of the ship and go 2 decks up into the island to get to the nearest shitters.

those shitters had no toilet seats or stall doors.
>>
>>34520058

You ever been on a ship with z pods? Or any small boys that steer with kort nozzles? Its no wheel on the helm. But you cant just press a button to steer the fucken things.
>>
>>34520121

Every ship should have controls right by the rudder as a last resort and are manned when pulling into port in case of a steering pump failure
>>
>>34522535
Listen m8
Ships do not have to save weight, weight is the least irrelevant thing for a ship
Flagrant wastes of money at all levels, while jewing out on actually important things WILL lose wars
Yes
>>
File: 1497197958104.png (262KB, 446x456px) Image search: [Google]
1497197958104.png
262KB, 446x456px
>>34520060

Holy fuck.

I bet the contractor billed the government at least $200k a pop for those...
>>
>>34525341
but man
they saved so much weight over aluminum sinks
who cares if they are expensive as hell, and explosively flammable, and will shatter when they break...
>>
>>34520172
do people really use urinals
>>
>>34525481
Why not?
>>
>>34520964
dont cross the streams
>>
>>34520433
no i wouldn't. lamination and curing is a time and labor intensive process. plus you need an autoclave large enough. stop posting about shit you know nothing about.
>>
>>34520433
>>34520407
when you jump through all the hoops it takes to do business with the federal government, suddenly an $800 toilet seat no longer seems so out-of-line.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.