[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Wild Bill still using cap and ball in 1876? Is it kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: wild-bill-hickok-1920.jpg (673KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wild-bill-hickok-1920.jpg
673KB, 1920x1080px
Why was Wild Bill still using cap and ball in 1876? Is it kind of like how people still use 1911's out of nostalgia even though it's an obsolete model?
>>
>>34514520
Back then, center fire ammo wasn't as reliable or easy to get in the caliber you need
>>
>>34514731
This. C&B was more prevalent.
>>
>>34514520
Probably because he knew that he could load his pistols hotter than the period cartridges. Cartridge ammo didn't really offer a ballistic advantage until smokeless powder was invented. Ease of loading for sure but he carried two pistols and wasn't worried about reloading apparently.
>>
>Is it kind of like how people still use 1911's out of nostalgia even though it's an obsolete model?
I don't think nostalgia is the right word. It's what he was used to carrying. He's a guy who had been through a lot of shit where guns were needed, and he'd carried Navy models forever. He knew they were reliable, and he was used to obsessively taking care of them. If you already know you can trust something, and there isn't really anything wrong with it, it makes sense to keep using it.

I doubt he was opposed to cartridge revolvers, or thought anything was wrong with them. When he died, he was carrying a Smith and Wesson Model 2.
>>
>>34514520
He actually had a Smith and Wesson No. 2 on him when he died. These were cartridge guns in .32 rimfire, pic related.

Also, all of Wild Bills gunfights took place in or before 1871, and the only available cartridge revolvers that weren't pocket underpowered pocket guns were conversions of cap and ball guns, many of which were Bubba tier hack jobs; European stuff, none of which wouldn't have reached the West by that time; and the the Smith and Wesson Model 3, which was also rare.

When he was killed, he was just a famous bum with no money and multiple health issues.
>>
File: Smith_&_Wesson_No2.jpg (81KB, 1024x442px) Image search: [Google]
Smith_&_Wesson_No2.jpg
81KB, 1024x442px
>>34515176
Forgot pic
>>
>>34514520
He spent a lot of time in lawless, barely civilized areas of the country that had no real means of getting any regular supply of anything. Black powder, balls, and primers were likely the easiest thing he could get and he was used to using them.
>>
>>34514520
The Colt Walker was the most powerful handgun in the world till 1935
>>
>>34515534
>1935
What about the Mars?
>>
>>34515534
Ol' Smokewagon
>>
from what I was reading on the 4th of july, cap and ball started getting replaced by, pin fire cartridges, mostly in europe, the skip to rim and center fire didn't happen till after pinfire cartridges matured a lot.
>>
>>34514520
>Is it kind of like how people still use 1911's out of nostalgia even though it's an obsolete model?
The 1911 is one of the most effective pistols of all time. As long as youre willing to trade a few rounds for some knockdown power, its very efficient. There is an argument that 9mm is better, but the 1911 is far from obsolete.
>>
File: IMG_9412.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9412.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34514520
I like this shitpost, its subtle.
>>
File: 1499048414792.jpg (35KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1499048414792.jpg
35KB, 500x357px
>>34517319
>.45
>Knockdown power

The 1911 isn't dead, but come on now.
>>
>>34517319
Instead of going with the lame ass "muh .45" side of things, you could have acknowledged the vast array of calibers and configurations afforded by the 1911. But nooooo
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.