[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to buy my first rifle to use both for target practice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: mosin.jpg (8KB, 281x179px) Image search: [Google]
mosin.jpg
8KB, 281x179px
Looking to buy my first rifle to use both for target practice and hunting. I've seen how cheap the mosin nagant 91/30 is and was wondering if its a good idea to buy one. What should I look for in buying one? Thanks
>>
>>34508555
get a K31 instead. now that Mosins aren't $100 anymore, ther is literally zero reason to buy one.
>>
>>34508555
>if its a good idea to buy one.

They're just not that cheap anymore. Buy a Savage Axis or a Ruger American.
>>
Unless you want a mosin I'd get something else like a Savage axis or a Ruger American. Either will give you a much better and accurate rifle for just a little more at this point. 54r is getting up there and it will only get worse, whereas .308 and 06 will remain common and fairly cheap + you can reload them.

I like surplus more than new, but in this case I'd recommend you go with something other than a mosin, even if you want surplus you can get a surplus rifle that will serve you better than a mosin. An SKS for example, you can hunt just about anything with it and it's not going to have an issue with ammo any time soon. Enfields are good too, but ammo can be an issue. The 1907 is what immediately sticks out to me if you want a bolt action, you get a cheap, accurate, beautiful surplus rifle chambered in one of the most common hunting rounds in North America.

Depending on your location I would recommend an SKS though, it gives you the power to hunt deer and small bear and still be able to plink for cheap. I live in Florida and I got an SKS for these reasons specifically.
>>
whats a good caliber to get then? In the long run I want to save as much money as possible.
>>
Thanks I'll look into them. I'm trying to get to a gun show next month so I'm able to see as many rifles as possible.
>>
>>34508638
The caliber I would recommend depends on where you are. If you're looking to hunt things like deer then there's nothing wrong with 7.62x39. If you're looking to hunt bigger things like brown bear then I would say .308 or 30-06.

It also depends on what you want to do with them and how much you're willing to spend. x39 is cheapest, .308 and 06 are fairly similar but if you're reloading or plan to then I'd go with 06 because you can make hot loads and most rifles chambered for it will be able to handle it just fine. Target shooting is another issue altogether, if you plan on doing it a lot then there's really nothing here better than x39 because the other rounds will be 50-80c+ a round vs the 20c of x39. But if you plan on hunting larger animals AND plinking then either start reloading or get two rifles if you don't want to burn through $200 in 45 minutes.
>>
>>34508555
Mauser's can be had for 250 on a good day.Just get one of those instead
>>
>>34508660
Stevens 200 in 223.
>>
File: 1499341012448.jpg (6KB, 274x274px) Image search: [Google]
1499341012448.jpg
6KB, 274x274px
>Be poorfag
>Finally saved up enough to buy a nugget a few months ago
>See this thread
>mfw
>>
>>34508867
Milsurp isn't for the poor.
>>
The days when milsurp was a way to get a cheap shooter are gone forever. If that's what you want, as someone else said, get a Savage Axis or a Ruger American. It may even be a few bucks more expensive to buy, but once you put a couple hundred rounds of much-cheaper ammo in a common hunting caliber (as opposed to not-common and not-cheap milsurp calibers) through it, you'll be ahead.

As for caliber, .308 is pretty much default for hunting guns. If you find the recoil of that a little much for you, you can get .243 as a lighter alternative.
>>
>>34508872
I may be poor but at least I'm not a tripfag.
>>
>>34508867
You don't save up to buy a mosin. The whole appeal of them was that anyone could afford them. If this was 2007 you could buy one for $69.99

But it's 2017 now and mosins aren't cheap anymore, so spend your well earned money on something better. A Savage XP is a decent bargain. Get it in .243 or .308.
>>
>>34508572
Well there is the reason of it's the most aesthetic bolt action rifle in the history of the world, it's served in almost every major conflict since it's creation, and it's cartridge is still in service today. But you know wehraboos as their superior Mauser actions.
>>
>>34508555
Get a CZ 527 in 7.62x39.
>>
>>34509009
I can smell your neckbeard from here.
>>
>>34509009
>Well there is the reason of it's the most aesthetic bolt action rifle in the history of the world

Dude bro the mosin action is literally a refined copy of the needle gun. It is not that special.
>>
>>34508867
At least you saw this before spending all that money on a mosin. Their only appeal WAS there price, now that thats gone you have no real reason to get one unless you specifically want one, in which case they're not bad rifles at all, just not great.
>>
>>34508572
K31's are a beauty
>>
>>34508885
>can't even afford a free name on a imageboard
Now THAT'S poverty.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.