[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I inherited a "new" sig p229 from my uncle. It was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: rust.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
rust.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
I inherited a "new" sig p229 from my uncle. It was made in 1993 and has a made in germany railless frame. He never fired it and it was sitting in his safe for the last 24 years.

When I received it I stripped it and found what appears to be rust in the underside of the slide. I don't own any semiauto handguns, just a revolver, and I have never seen rust on any of my guns, so I don't even know how to recognize it properly. The only rust I'm familiar with is the crusty stuff that appears as spots. It doesn't appear to have any "texture" to it, it's smooth like the rest of the metal, just reddish and it transitions smoothly to black like a gradiant instead of standing out.
I sprayed some hornady one-shot hd extreme on the red portions and tried rubbing with a cotton swab. No red residue comes off.

How do I check if it really is rust? Is it even a big deal? Should I worry about it?
>>
It's brass from when the slide picks up another cartridge.

Also, that Sig was definitely used prior.
>>
>>34484047
just clean it and shoot it yo. if it doesnt come off with a "very" light rubbing with 0000 steel wool [dont forget to clean/blow out the steel wool dust] just slather it in clp and shoot it and clean it again.. who cares if its rist or not. if it is not pitted its fine
>>
>>34484058
I'm not talking about the shiny brass in the center, that was from me chambering some rounds earlier today and working the slide.
>>
>>34484069
Please for the love of fucking christ do not use steel wool of any kind

Use a brass brush. If the brass brush can't get it off, use a stronger solvent and try again. It will work.
>>
>>34484047
I wouldn't worry. german sigs bring good money. I have a 1994 228 that's worth about $1000.
>>
File: i dunno.jpg (1MB, 5312x1797px) Image search: [Google]
i dunno.jpg
1MB, 5312x1797px
>>34484083
>>34484069
Brass brush plus hoppes #9 didn't seem to do anything.

Better picture with the flash on.
Makes it look much worse than it does with the naked eye.

It's actually a weird purplish rainbow color (without the flash) after I wiped the grease and oil off.
>>
>>34484308
That's a patina. Oil it, re-assemble it and check for smooth function on all parts, then take it shooting.
>>
>>34484308
>>34484047
First, I don't think that's rust or patina. I've seen it on all the Sigs I've owned. The slide rails just tend to have a kind of uneven red/orange/pink tone, sometimes rainbowish like that. It might be from a hardening process, I'm not sure. But I believe it to be normal, and not rust.

Second,
>P229 from 1993
I am curious if your gun has an internal extractor or an external extractor. It's my understanding that the P229 was the reason why production began in Exeter, since the German factory wasn't set up to mill slides, which was required for the .40S&W, as opposed to folding stamped metal for 9mm guns. My circa 2000 P229 has an Exeter slide (milled monolithic piece of metal external extractor) and German frame.
>>
File: extractor.jpg (2MB, 5312x2029px) Image search: [Google]
extractor.jpg
2MB, 5312x2029px
>>34484485
It has a short external extractor.
>>
>>34484566
That's pretty cool. Before I found mine for sale not too long ago, I didn't realize that the P229's were even being made in the 90s. Apparently '93 was one of the first years, or maybe the first year, that they were made.

I wouldn't worry about the rainbow colors on the slide rails. I've seen that before on other Sigs and I really don't think it's rust or anything to worry about.
>>
>>34484612
Thanks for the info anon
Going to install a short reset trigger and change the mainspring to something lighter.

SA is great, but DA is way too long for me.
>>
>>34484691
If your gun really is unfired, then you might want to give it some time before making modifications. The hammer springs, on new Sigs anyway, really do take a set after firing a few hundred rounds or dry firing it a bunch. Last time I bought a new Sig, I was prepared to send it back to the manufacturer because I thought something was wrong with it. The double action trigger pull felt like it was about 15 pounds right out of the box, but after shooting it a little bit, the double action pull lightened up considerably, feels like it's closer to 8 or 9 pounds now, and has been stable like that ever since.

The SRT is nice, although not really required, IMO.

I just noticed, but it's interesting that your gun appears to have a thin trigger, which I thought was only something Sig put on newer guns, but maybe they modeled the original P229 trigger off the P220 trigger, which was kind of skinny like that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.