[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever used your martial arts skills in a fight? I carry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16

File: ronda rocked.jpg (2MB, 3500x2208px) Image search: [Google]
ronda rocked.jpg
2MB, 3500x2208px
Have you ever used your martial arts skills in a fight? I carry a knife but I'm training MMA so that I won't have to use my knife unless shit gets dire. I also carry a LCP II in case shit gets really dire.
>>
>>34482567
Never been in a real fight so no

I've placed my hands in a position ready to put people in locks as part of de-escalation before, where they know I have them and that they lost any chance of having the initiative.
>>
File: Thor.webm (2MB, 406x650px) Image search: [Google]
Thor.webm
2MB, 406x650px
Judo helped me lots of times in school. I'm glad my dad taught me the basics. I've never been in an adult fight, however. I think doing that would be stupid. I'd rather give someone 50 bucks to fuck off than fight them with my hands. That's all they'd get, though. Any more threatening, and it's time to see if an adult gets as winded from a flip as a child does.
>>
>>34482567
Being a trained boxer I have, after doing everything I could to avoid it, used my skills to put someone flat on their ass.
I didn't enjoy doing it, and doubt I ever will, but when all else fails, it's good to have a bit of training on your side.
>>
>>34482567
yes, ive put a dude in an armbar in a fight. Ive also used some judo hip throws and trips. Its surprising how easy it is to take down someone without any training. I have also been in a lot of fights, way more than a lot of people I know. If you want to get good at fighting, the only way to do it is too fight. Be careful
>>
>>34482567
Don't get into physical altercations while you're carrying, or else you're probably going to die.
>>
>>34482567
Work as a bouncer so you need to know your stuff. Did college wrestling and a bit of judo

Ironically it was the reason why I was hired. I had an associate degree in accounting and yet the only reason why I was hired is because I'm 6 foot 4 and had bronze medal at NCAA
>>
>>34483066
There's a Judo place on my drive home from work that says they're accepting students. I would love to learn it but I feel like it's going to be mostly kids and I'll be that weird old dude trying to fit in.
>>
File: Ronda Rousey breaks up a fight.webm (968KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Ronda Rousey breaks up a fight.webm
968KB, 720x1280px
>>34484128
You would probably get more hands on training from the instructor, actually. He would prefer to demonstrate moves on you instead of the little kids. At least you'll know how to take a fall.
>>
File: Who would you hire.jpg (201KB, 900x854px) Image search: [Google]
Who would you hire.jpg
201KB, 900x854px
>>34483327
No crap they hired you as a bouncer for your physic. They don't care about your degree, only how you look.
>>
>>34484373
That actually sounds pretty fun. I do like kids, but I realize I would get some weird looks from parents if I'm sitting around when they're dropping off their kids.
>>
>>34482567
Wrestled since I was four years old through college. Never had a problem in a fight. It also helps I'm 6'3 230 but I was still tiny growing up and still ruined people's shit.

I found even someone trained in another martial arts couldn't hold their stamina once I tied up with them. Grappling is really exhausting.
>>
>>34483327
Gee, who would think the accounting degree wouldn't apply
>>
>>34484474
This.

No matter what your cardio conditioning is, wrestling teaches a certain kind of muscle memory and efficiency of motion that will wear out anyone who isn't experienced to it. Even if the most you can do is maintain a dominant position on the ground, the other guy is going to fire out long before you do.
>>
>>34484474
I don't believe wrestling is a practical and effective style of self defence.
>>
>>34482567
You've got it the wrong way around.

The LCP is the thing most likely to swiftly end a violent confrontation.

You know what paramedics say about a knife fight? Loser dies in the street, winner dies in the ambiance.

Finally, your martial arts are the thing most likely to cause harm to both you and your opponent. No matter how much sparring you do, you will not be able to predict perfectly the things that your opponent will do, especially in the heat of the moment. If you open up with hand-to-hand, instead of going for your pistol first guess who might get the pistol loose from your grip?

Face it, you're not John Wu. The faster you stop your enemy, the higher the chance of minimal harm. If alive and treated properly about 80% of gunshot wound victims will survive.
>>
>>34484373
Alright, this video legitimately got me. Dude threw up a half-hearted block, and the chick went flying. He genuinely looked surprised by how hard she went down.
>>
>>34484581
Paramedics can only comment the people who actually get hurt. There may be just as many knife fight winners who never needed an ambulance and they wouldn't know about it.
>>
>>34484597
The same thing happens to me when I'm playing with my new puppy. He's so light that I sometimes send him tumbling just from pushing him.
>>
>>34482567
been in plenty of fights -- i hate to break to you but the only people are lawyers, judges, state employees. not worth it. loosing money and time is worse than winning or loosing a fight.
>>
>>34484632
Only if you get identified.
>>
>>34482567
Odds are you wont land a kick or use any advance ground work in a fight but mma definitely teaches you to be aggressive and how to throw a punch and if it does go to the ground you will probably be on top and just end up pounding the guys face while youre sitting on top of him
>>
File: Ye-hah.webm (1MB, 202x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ye-hah.webm
1MB, 202x360px
>>34484674
Like this.
>>
Why the fuck would you ever fight if you're carrying a gun? Or pull a knife?

A gun will end a confrontation 99% of the time just by brandishing, why even take the chance of getting your ass knocked the fuck out, stabbed, or worse?
>>
>>34484555
It's not a style of self defense. It's a sport. What it offers that a lot of martial arts don't is
> body awareness. Doing gymnastics while training and stretching made me feel like I could make my body do anything.
> conditioning. Wrestling is EXTREMELY tiring. I've seen a lot of matches come down to who has the stamina left to go on.
Wrestled in high school for awhile and wish I stuck with it and maybe branched out to other disciplines. It got me into the best shape of my life performance wise.
>>
File: 1364787112523.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1364787112523.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>>34484555

Well, not in general because you can't count on a self-defense situation being one-on-one where you'll have time and opportunity to do all that. Better than nothing though.

Random MMA gif may or may not be related.
>>
File: 1364785673096.gif (3MB, 200x149px) Image search: [Google]
1364785673096.gif
3MB, 200x149px
>>34484597

I'm genuinely surprised as well. Could've really hurt her too, she went right on her back on concrete, probably banged her head something fierce. Looked like she was still conscious though.

Another random ring-fighting gif. Is it applicable to self-defense in the street? I'll only know after I post it.
>>
>>34485022
I guess the majority of people reach their highest level of fitness in high school and never see that level again.
>>
>>34482567
Well, I took TKD in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades. Got up to brown belt.

Then didn't touch another martial art the rest of my life.

Got jumped coming out of a bar when I was 23, guy had a knife and wanted all my money, despite being drunk I semi-instinctively snap-kicked him in the gut, then when he was doubled over from that (and the surprise, I'm sure) I snap-kicked him again in the nose and down he went.

Went back inside, had the bartender call 911, cops showed up to a guy with a broken nose passed out on top of a knife like 10 feet from the door with bruised ribs.
>>
File: IMG_0457.jpg (134KB, 614x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0457.jpg
134KB, 614x800px
>>34485074
Nah majority of people reach a place when they are young and then let it decline. I am guilty of this but working my way back to it. Only difference now is I have to place more importance on recovery.
>>
>>34485074
That's because the body naturally has a higher metabolism and the ability to recovery from injury faster, coupled with MOST high schools requiring at least some form of team sport (even if it's just gym class) and having significant societal pressure to participate in JV/varsity/intramural sports.

I'm actually in better shape at 33 than I was as a senior in high school, and I was a 3-season athlete that was a 2-time all-state football player on a team that won the state championship all 4 years I was in high school. It was a 1A school, so the championships aren't quite as illustrious as if I were from some urban megaschool, but still.

It takes a LOT more work to even maintain where I am than it did to gain fitness when I was in high school, and even minor injuries take weeks if not months to heal instead of days.
>>
>>34485235
>majority of people reach a place when they are young and then let it decline

Isn't that basically what I already said? Or do you think the highest level is reached AFTER high school?
>>
>>34483096
After you did it you, do you a plus/delta on your attacks like:
1) no gloves, no wraps, might brake my knuckles,

2) get a cut from the other guys teeth that becomes infected

3) attacker thumbs you in the eye or kicks you in da nutz.

4) no mouth piece can lead me to broken teeth, etc. etc.
>>
Countless times. Had to put choke holds on lots of fools in my frat back in the day (I was head of security). Bar fights involving shootings double legs and rolling in broken glass. Pinning assholes down to the ground. All sorts of stuff. Guns are great but you can't always count on having one. Your hands, feet, knees, and elbow don't jam or run out of ammo
>>
>>34484399
I'd hire the meth faggot just because I don't think I could afford to pay someone with the tattoo's fags qualifications for the types of jobs I'd have him do. Not to mention his nuclear expertise does me little good.
>>
>>34482567
>I work in nursing, was going into LE.

Use my BJJ/Judo often.
Often on dementia patients.
To safely restrain.

Yesterday a male dementia patient was full force punching a female NA in the head.
>>
>>34482567
Good OP.

Get good at situational awareness.
Other wise all of the worthless.

Every time you train or take a class.
Train to be the hardest person someone can kill.

You should train Eskrima too.
So you know how to use your knife also.
>>
File: CMIYV-4UEAMRZHk.jpg (60KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CMIYV-4UEAMRZHk.jpg
60KB, 600x600px
>>34482567
I would run away or use my pistol. Life or death.
Anything else you are asking for legal trouble.

Fitness and martial arts are a last resort.
Criminals don't fight.
>>
>>34485266
yes
>>
>>34484513
The nightclub where I worked is owned by a hotel chain. I applied for a job as accounting technician and the guy at HR said I'd make more money as a bouncer

In hindsight I should've just insisted on that accounting job
>>
>>34488453
Well those who work at entry level accounting jobs are mostly women and unless you're a very good looking person, I'd imagine your presence would cause disharmony in the whole department
>>
>>34488453
How much money do you make as a bouncer?
>>
>>34483066

I truly hate those faggots that rushed to the aid of the Africans.
>>
>>34488492
45k/year, not including stuff like tips, overtime, side gigs (basically playing bodyguards for vvip), bonus,et cetera
>>
>>34482567
I've got a background in a few martial arts, along with some self-practice. Brazilian Jujitsu, Kung Fu, Krav Maga and Bujinkan Taijutsu.

In my personal life, I've used martial arts a total of 5 times. Just five. Two of these were at high school. The rest were situations I couldn't deescalate.

Training in Ninjitsu really brought home the concept of de-escalation and that you can appear to lose the confrontation but win the war. I do enjoy confrontation but as a parent, I would not risk killing someone for the thrill of a fight.
>>
>>34484373
Lmao. Sit the fuck down the video clip. Female feels what its like when men actually do something.
>>
>>34482567
Grew up in a town on the mexican boarder. Got in something like 20 fights by the time i graduated.

Its strange now that Ive moved away into a city, if you wanna win fights you have to hit first.
Ive had 2 different guys puff up their chest and come towards me, both acted all surprised when i hit them as soon as they came within arms reach.

The first time i hung around for a while, guy made a silent exit until he came back with a cop, with a cop between us he proceeded to start talking shit. It ended up being kinda funny because the cops arrested him for disturbing the peace immediately after arresting me.

The second time i had to hit a guy i just left so as to not get arrested. It worked out much better in the long run.

>tl;dr. Fags from the city like to get into each others faces and yell but turn into fucking pussies as soon as you put a hand on them.
>>
>>34484555
Amateur man fag I'm pretty decent based on my knowledge wrestling is absolutely practical. You can't get nigger stomped by Jamal and his buddies if you don't get taken down. The better wrestler in the altercation dictates where the fight takes place you can choose to take your opponent down or you can choose not to get taken down. The former being paramount in "teh streetz".
>>
>>34488551
They aren't helping him, they're taking his wallet and shoes.
>>
>>34487362
No, I just hit him in the lower jaw from the side as he closed, dropped him like a sack of shit.
>>
>>34482567

Only once. I've done boxing since I was young. I am only very average in the ring, with my skills, but training has given me decent cardio. My crap punching has caused me to be good at defending.
I've always managed to avoid problems and will happily puss out of an altercation. I avoid shitty people, shitty locations and shitty situations.

I belted my sister's bf and put his lights out at a party when he slapped her. I punched that cunt so hard it broke his cheek bone and he needed surgery. I also broke my middle knuckle.

Cops got involved and he got charged with domestic violence. I got interviewed but nothing came from it. Lots of anxiety and threats of arrest and law suits. No action ever came out of it.

Spent months with a cast on my hand and it still gets sore in cold weather. Totally worth it.
Sister eternally grateful for stepping in. Found out later that he had hit her previously and that he beats his new gf.
>>
>>34488800
I read somewhere that there are two different kinds of confrontation. There are gorilla-type, pounding fists on the chest, demonstration type. Those are about some perceived slight or as a dominance thing from somebody who feels insecure, and a lot of the time the violence is actually secondary. That's by far the most common in nicer areas.
Then there's the come-up-behind-you, punch you in the back of the head and take your shoes, practical type. These are about putting the other person on the ground as fast as possible without getting hurt yourself. The violence is primary, with the goal of material gain. This is more common in bad areas, and is probably the type you were more familiar with.
>>
>>34482567
I'm surprised no one else has pointed this out yet:

At least under US law, there's no distinction between pulling a knife and pulling a gun. They're both lethal force, period. There's no situation when you're legally justified to pull the knife but not the gun. So you might as well skip straight to the LCP any time shit is getting "dire". I don't think a court would look kindly on you if you pulled different lethal weapons in succession during a conflict, or if you had a gun but chose to start with the knife instead, it would come across like you're toying with the opponent or having fun with it.

And remember, the attacker doesn't have to have a weapon for it to be "lethal force". Any time a reasonable person might be afraid for his life, you're justified. So if you're attacked by multiple large unarmed guys that seem really fucking pissed, there's a good chance you could die from the beating, and you're justified to draw on them. Even one unarmed person can be a reasonable threat to your life in some situations, but probably not for you as you practice fighting. That mostly goes for people in poor physical fitness like small women or the elderly. Remember, it's the jury that decides if it was enough of a threat to you, and the jury's probably made up of dipshit liberals and soccer moms.
>>
>>34489003
It would come across more like you're mentally unstable. Like, flatly. A jury is likely to think(and prosecutor likely to make a persuasive argument that) nobody is "that stupid"
>>
>>34484942
brandishing a firearm is a crime in most states anon, don't pull it unless you intend to fire, don't fire unless you intend to kill.
>>
File: 8325898654_4528a42422[1].jpg (60KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
8325898654_4528a42422[1].jpg
60KB, 500x281px
>>34489003
That's why you draw both at once.
>>
>>34482567

I went up to level 3 combatives in the army. I use it almost daily at work (armed security at high risk locations)
>>
>>34483066
>I'd rather give someone 50 bucks to fuck off than fight them with my hands.

Disgusting pussy, you people are what's poisoning the west.
>>
>>34484674
ive seen quite a few kicks in street fights, if its outdoors theres usually plenty of space to pull them off.

although its generally a finishing move when punches have done some damage.
>>
>>34484581

Have had plenty of fags show up to the E.R. with knife wounds. A lot of them come out just fine. The whole "one person dies on the street, other in the ambulance" is just shit, most actually survive.
>>
>>34485074
I'm nearing 30 and in the best shape I've ever been, and a lot of my friends are the same way. I'm stronger, have more stamina, and am more focused, so the physical training I do gains more results because I'm not zoning out and half assing it like I used to. It also helps that no one is forcing me to exercise like the Army did, which squeezed every bit of fun out of everything. I just started to like hiking and camping again last year.
>>
File: 20170709_155317.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170709_155317.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>34482567
It will help you know how to throw a punch the right way, which is important. Breaking a hand in the middle of a fight is a killer, pic related. The only reason he didn't stomp my ass after I broke it is because I swarmed him and he was already going down. Turned his head and I connected with the back of his skull, broke my hand in three different places.

I kicked him a few times and popped him with my other hand, but after I was in tears, and my hand was bum for about 2 months after that. So learn how to throw a punch the right way, and remember to never fight angry. Or just be a fucking adult and don't fight people.
>>
>>34482567
Not since I was in elementary school getting into shoving matches. All of my confrontations as an adult I just de escalated. I carry mace and a revolver, so if someone ever didn't de escalate they get a spray.

If they are armed in any way, they get 38+p to the chest.
>>
>>34488391
Filipino mafia cannot be stopped.
>>
>>34484694
textbook example of bottling up anger for too long and releasing it

kids got moves though
>>
>>34484674
Both of the street fights I was in I was able to land multiple kicks before anyone was on the ground or otherwise subdued (unlike all the nigger videos that show an unconscious/semiconscious and unresisting guy getting kicked while he's down).

No, they weren't any fucking fancy roundhouse kicks or leg sweeps or kicks to the head or anything like that. One I kept kicking the guy in the side of the knee and the other guy got a push kick to the gut then a bunch of knees to the ribs.
>>
I'm top 3 in my country for fencing (Sabre and foil) so the majority of the fights I have been in I have used the footing and movement learnt from that. I enjoy fighting so I got pretty good at it while growing up.
>>
>>34493495
*county
>>
>>34485074
Nah I was 250 and like 5'6-5'8 in freshman year, by senior year I was 220 and 5'11 and working out at home then by 22 I was 190 and 6' but fit and muscular. I took a major backslide after abdominal injuries though and now I'm 26 and 235 but getting back in the gym regularly and running.
>>
>>34482567
Longer reach
>>
>>34484128
I'm in a pretty similar position. I've always wanted to do Judo, but I either never had the money, worked during the times Judo places trained, or lived in places that didn't have Judo. Pretty soon, it looks like I'll finally have a normal job in a place with Judo, but I'm in my late twenties, which is way, way older than most people start, and I don't know if it would just be better to go to the Jujutsu place that I'm assuming will have more older noobs.
>>
>>34482567
>Have you ever used your martial arts skills in a fight?
I wrestled and played football growing up and used the wrestling and little bit of shit I learned playing defensive line in a bar fight when I went off to college. Nothing too crazy, desu the only time I've had trouble was once in the locker room after practice and a few times when I go to bars smaller white dudes for some reason want to try to start shit. I'm also Tongan so that might have something to do with people not picking many fights with me.
>>34484474
>>34484548
Wrestling is the shit. Wish I had wrestled in college.
>>
>>34483327
>associate degree

Get yourself a real degree
>>
>>34493466
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_8rRjkYfY
Heres a vid of one of my friends knocking some punk ass nigger out
But i definitely know what youre talking about
>>
>>34493466
>>34495886
But i remember in one of the fights ive gotten into the guy who i fought tried to use a kick to the side of my knee like youre talking about and i literally didnt feel shit and just right hooked him and fucked his eye out and he was done
>>
File: IMG_20170709_220606.jpg (2MB, 3156x4167px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170709_220606.jpg
2MB, 3156x4167px
>>34482567
This is why I carry .pic related
>>
>>34485050
>Is it applicable to self-defense in the street?
I'd say no. High kicks are high risk high reward. Landing one is show stopper but if the opponent decides to move at the same time you're left in a really bad position. Also consider the outside environment that could ruin a kick - is the ground slippery or muddy, are there multiple opponents, are you wearing sneakers that day or some cheap flip flops, do you stretch daily so that you can kick cold without pulling a muscle, etc.
>>
>>34482567
Yes, judo has gotten me put of bad situations more than once. I haven't had to use it since before my 20s, and now that I'm old enough I carry a gun.
>>
>>34484373
>at least you'll know how to take a fall

Trying to teach ukemi to kids younger than 13 is the most frustarting thing I've ever experienced.
>>
>>34488894
>white people stealing
>ever

go away moishe
>>
>>34484942
>A gun will end a confrontation 99% of the time just by brandishing,

Yeah because the guy is going to let you take your time awkwardly drawing your stupid makarov from your aliengear, he definately won't foul your draw, go for a grab and shoot your faggot ass with your own pistol because you thought BJJ or MMA was dumb. Fuck off idiot.
>>
>>34482567
once, victim of attempted mugging: straight front kick to groin, followed immediately by a "turn and run like hell"
>>
>>34497176
I agree with high kicks. Trained high kicks, as well as waist down kicks. Used a high kick only once against an untrained group of kids in my high school, purely as a psychological deterrent.

Try that shit with a slightly skilled opponent or even an opponent with decent reflexes. Your leg gets grabbed and most people could sweep you to the floor.

Best kicks are Muay Thai side kicks, push kicks for creating space or hitting their groin, knee stomps to buckle them or low turning back kick to take them by surprise.

Why risk using your support base, when you have elbows, palms, and fists?
>>
>>34488481

Sounds like a reason to get promoted.
>>
>>34487918

Aren't people with dementia very old?
>>
>>34482567
In 7th grade i fought a kid on my way home frome school. Long story short, he was being a dick and threw 2 right hooks at my head. This really screwed up my coordination so i grabbed him close so he couldn't get a decent punch out. As he slid out i kneed him square in the forehead. Then my friend grabbed him aroung the neck and i punched his balls and stomach as many times as i could before the neighbor broke us up. I have a blackbelt in taekwondo but i might as well have a mid tier belt or lower of anything else. Waste of money.
>>
>>34501381
Groin kicks.
>>
>>34503370
>Aren't people with dementia very old?

Not him, but never underestimate tard strength.
>>
File: 1461851547740.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1461851547740.gif
134KB, 340x340px
>>34484373
>That title
>>
File: newAvi.jpg (44KB, 482x542px) Image search: [Google]
newAvi.jpg
44KB, 482x542px
>>34488391

Aaaaaaand that's why you train

And carry a gun.

Be strong and armed.
>>
>>34499270
>he doesn't practice the close quarters draw
>MUH BEE JAY JAY
>>
>>34484399
I'll never hire someone with tattoos.
>>
>>34495902

Depends who is throwing that kick.

Was it some LARPER loser who barely trains or knows anything?

Or a Sanda fighter?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.