[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a Cold Steel thread? I bought a jian from them back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: 1489304933229.jpg (98KB, 657x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489304933229.jpg
98KB, 657x900px
Can we have a Cold Steel thread?

I bought a jian from them back in my teens that was pretty solid, it's nice to have a skinny little sword that can hack a pumpkin right in half. I'm thinking of picking up their gladius, too.
>>
cold steel isn't all they are cracked up to be be
they've gained a bad stigma to attract weeaboos and teenagers that want to be tactical

they claim to be the sharpest with amazing steels
the steel isnt amazing but its OK
sharp is not a word that comes to mind when i think of cold steel sadly.

they need to stay the fuck away from axes,

their folders are top shit, myself having owned several, again, edges mediocre having to do them myself

machetes are decent, if not a little over the top with their designs, also owning a few of them,

theyre a company that people love to hate on this board

they have hits and misses
>>
>>34482282
HEMAfag here
Cold Steel swords are shite, or at least their European swords are.
Badly balanced, too chunky, overbuilt meme sword-like-objects.
>>
>>34482805

I always thought their main selling point was that you could buy a functional sword that would chop shit well for a few hundred bucks instead of a grand.
>>
File: cold steel.png (988KB, 1099x615px) Image search: [Google]
cold steel.png
988KB, 1099x615px
>>34482282
Cold Steel is one of the first memes that made me realize /k/ is fucking retarded and has no idea what they're talking about. /k/ buys cheapo, gimicky folding knifes for "self defense". Cold Steel makes one of the best fixed blades I've ever held - the QC is high, the steel quality is high, but so is the price. /k/ shits on cold steel because of muh-meme-fedora and because they're mostly poorfags
>>
>>34482805
>the steel isnt amazing but its OK
Nobody knows the difference between good or bad steel in terms of use and most bad steel is more than adequate for most stuff.
>>
>>34482282
cold steel has gone to cheap shit city
I miss the good old days when it was quality stuff...
>>
>>34483393
>t. whetstone salesman
nice try, jew
>>
Buy zombie tools instead. Especially the upcoming modelsthey showed at blade showthis year. I've owned colds steels butterfly swords, the swept hilt rapier, ribbed shell, and warrior series katana, and Yeah, it's above mall tier, but it's overpriced because popularity. A Paul chen oniyuri is better than the wskatana but for less. Idk, preference i guess. Again though, zombie tools.
>>
File: IMG_20140527_102950.jpg (713KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140527_102950.jpg
713KB, 2560x1920px
>>34486039
Just fun cs i had
>>
>>34483393
bad steel is ok because we let it be, it gets the job done, but it could be done easier/better

people don't look into things they just wanna fill the void,
>>
>>34485827
fuck off, you didn't even come up with any sort of idea what steel is good or not. im not selling shit here just in my experience even shitty stainless steel works fine as long as you're okay with sharpening it with a file constantly and then going over it with a whet stone if you wanna open an envelope nicely, it still cuts stuff like flesh just fine and works for a more stabby kind of blade design if you don't go full - this shit is dull AGAIN i only used it once or twice-
>>34487945
if you try looking into steel people go into metallurgy memes and just totally lose their entire point about useful stuff like edge retention... or if it's more likely to snap if you try to use it as a pry bar or even a thrower or it just depends what you're throwing it at but hitting the ground might chip it some kind of sliding scale maybe, rust, ect. I think it's a large reason why people buy shitty quality knives that otherwise look cool, at least I know I have a few times not that there were any better options around.
>>
>>34487998
most people buy wall hangers because they are ignorant to the fact that there are certain grades of steel better for the object in question that others.
that and shit steel is a fucking lot cheaper.

shitty steel will work for most things, I will agree with you on that, but there are definitely better options available to you and will last much longer.

also
>file
>whetstone
are you trying to wear away your knives? most of the time the edge just needs to be honed, use a steel or ceramic "sharpening" rod. It will even up the edge and you'll preserve the steel your wearing away with he file and stone, those are only used for damage such as nicks or f someone fucked up your edge with a file and its all lopsided n shit.
>>
knifefag here. no one here knows what they are talking about, so ill fill you in. cold steel makes shit knives that can open and close decently. most of their knives are batshit autistic and defective by design, the code4 isnt bad. just save your money and get a real knife like a benchmade.. or spyderco, or ZT. as for steel, CTS XHP is alright i see it offered with cold steel sometimes. CTS BD1 is decent, and the rest cold steel offers sucks. CPM (Cruicible Powder Metallurgy) steels are usually the best, but D2, 154cm, 204p, and a few others are alright. cold steel got a patent they shoulnt of, and so they sue the shit out of small knifemakers. garbage tier company, knives, and marketing.
>muh traid lock strength

bullshit, i have a benchmade that weighs 2.5 ounces and it has a 350 pound lock.
>>
>>34488132
>are you trying to wear away your knives?
Yes especially that one in particular, it's got a long clip point, and cheap handles. I legitimately believe it was made as a cheap shank to stab people and really no other purpose. I kind of want to break it but the steel is soft enough it springs back into shape if you try to pry stuff with it.
>>
Now that big knives are legal in to carry in texas, what would be a good folder to carry just because I can/to scare people when I open boxes. I was looking at the espada series, but they are a little rich for my blood.
>>
They produce decent machetes and most folders are nice, their blowguns are also good, but id avoid anything else
>>
>>34487998
>needs resharpening to open an envelope
>still cuts flesh just fine

Are you aware how much more difficult it is to cut through flesh than paper?
>>
>>34490518
A clean cut through paper without tearing it, that's much sharper than what you *need* to make an ugly gash in flesh. It just takes a lot more effort.
I got a few of those blades I been trying to break and sharpen like>>34488866
this with a file and whetstone. I'm probably a bit more skilled with them when I mess up I maybe break a layer or two of skin but not deep enough to draw blood when it's dull, if I had it to someone else to use they almost always draw blood on themselves. I rarely cut myself on accident unless it's a very sharp blade like it'll draw blood from drawing without any pressure kind of sharp I have had a few blades like that.
>>
>>34482907

No one cares that you do hema. Duck off nigger.
>>
>>34488291
To you and anyone else on here: how do you define, in terms of practical use, what makes a Benchmade, ZT, or Spyderco better than a Cold Steel knife? And what criteria do you use to judge whether a steel is "alright" or "decent?" Are you basing your conclusions on data gathered from testing or real-world abuse, or are you just re-hashing info you read online?

I'm a miner (of limestone) I use knives all the time for a variety of tasks. After owning and using several, I can confidently say that I like Cold Steel knives the best considering how well they hold up (which is just as well if not better than Spyderco, for example) for how much they cost. I can also say that when it comes down to it, I'd rather use 4116 Krupp stainless than CTS-XHP because both blades will inevitably get dull, but 4116 is softer and easier/quicker to sharpen, and less costly if it ends up getting trashed. No other knife I've had resists getting gummed up with stone dust as well as my Cold Steel knives do. Perhaps my standards are different than someone who works in textiles or meat packing, since I use my knives for much more than just cutting. But to simply say, with no evidence or explanation offered, that a particular brand or steel is better than another, is pure folly.

Where is your evidence? What standards do you use to make your judgements?
>>
>>34494288
>Where is your evidence? What standards do you use to make your judgements?
Just what he sees and foolishly believes from /k/
>>
Here's the rundown on Cold Steel. Most people on /k/ only know the new improved Cold Steel and aren't familiar with how they were before, thinking all the crap people talk about them is memes.

Swords:
>tough and durable
>otherwise bad
>terribly balanced
>not put together very well
>some of the new ones are actually good (the ones they bothered to consult an expert for)

Knives
>strongest locking systems
>have upped their game in steels and grinds in the past 2-3 years
>cheap knives are good value or acceptable only because they're cheap
>mid-tier knives are great
>high-tier knives are overpriced for what you're getting

Machetes
>a bit expensive for a machete, but otherwise serviceable
>main appeal is vaguely resembling swords and selling like hotcakes to mall ninjas

Self Defense products
>relatively sturdy but otherwise super gimmicky and mall ninja

Other
>has a history of shady business practices
>known for biting off other manufacturers
>also known for frivolous lawsuits
>marketing team is the equivalent of the internet tough guy or the guy with a tapout shirt at the bar who wants to fight everybody
>>
File: 285994.jpg (68KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
285994.jpg
68KB, 880x660px
I had a CS recon folder, it was tough and the lock was great

switched to benchmade though, like them a bit more
>>
File: 20161001_132644.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20161001_132644.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>34482282
COLD STEEL ESPADA XL here. It's badass.
>>
>>34494288
Not him, but I don't have any interest in a knife if it's stainless. Unless operating innaocean, I can't think of any situation where stainless would have an advantage over a high-carbon steel.

That said, I'll admit that I don't spend much time in limestone mines, and rust might be prevalent.
>>
>>34486039
Zombie tools themselves seem kind overpriced.

Do you have any personal experience with them?
>>
>>34488291
Knifefag here also and apparently you don't know what the fuck you are talking about either. As an anon stated earlier cold steel can be either a hit or a miss and that can be said about most of their product line. That being said, there are products they have that are well known and are garunteed to be very good quality and there are products they have that are known to have not so good quality. In general a lot of their folding knives are cheap gimmicky crap, but the over built fixed blade machetes are actually really great. I've also had a fixed blade of theirs that wasn't even too expensive that was an awesome knife. Some of what cold steel makes is great, just gotta do your proper research before buying.
>>
File: IMG_20170701_183653.jpg (3MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_183653.jpg
3MB, 4096x2304px
I bought the Voyager Tanto XL mostly for fun. The blade came sharp but got small nicks from chopping a 2x4 and cutting some copper wire. Fun to fuck around with though.
>>
>>34483335
Their swords are laughably bad. Hanwei has them beat for traditional sub $500 market and universal swords either is or uses the same equipment as the company subcontracted to make their European sabers
>>
>>34497425
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE3_p7Fxwg

I'm not Anon, but - until I see any other sword company put their product through this kind of abuse with more impressive results, I'll recommend ZombieTools for a bargain lifelong chopper every day.
>>
>>34482805
CTS-XHP is just "ok"? If they were still using AUS8, I would be more inclined to agree with you.
>>
>>34494288
Edge retention/ease of sharpening
Blade and grind profile
Ergonomics
Fit and finish/durability
a s t h e t i c s

Cold steel makes overpriced knives that dull out quickly and look like shit once their LITERAL PAINT finish chips. Which is the second you put it in your pocket. Even the plastic grip panels get wracked up from pocket carry. Also they gum up with pocket lint thanks to muh axis lock

For anything but meming standard pocket knives pretty much go
Serviceable tier: buck, crkt, and Kershaw
Good tier: Spyderco
You'll be pissed when you lose your hundred dollar knife toer: benchmade

For the quality of a CS knife you could get one of the mallninja buck knives
For the price point of a CS knofe you could get a Spyderco

Bitchmade is king, but their factory edge can be inconsistent.
>>
>>34496162
Uh, okay. So, he asked a question about what makes a steel "alright" or "good" and you spout some nonsense about carbon steel vs. stainless. That's fine that you enjoy carbon steel. I like all of my slipjoints to have carbon steel. However, that doesn't help him discern shit. First of all, your choices for a heavy duty folder with a reliable lock and carbon steel are pretty slim; stainless is far more prevalent. Second, I live in Nevada and it's very dry but all of my carbon blades will develop rust if I don't oil them semi-regularly. Swear is corrosive and during the summer the 100 degree weather causes me to sweat. So, if he works in a mine, it's likely his sweat would cause carbon steel to rust.
>>
>>34497736
So much wrong in a single post. Your experience with CS must be ancient because CS hasn't used a form of the axis lock in a minute. The triad lock-which is their current standard-doesn't gum up anymore than the traditional midlock and those have been in production and working well for more than a century. The steel they use is CTS-XHP and it's a high quality, American-made stainless that will retain a sharp edge for a long time. They also changed their finish. I have a new Recon Clip Point and I use it exclusively as a yard knife. The coating is still perfect.

Onto your "tier" system. Benchmade is being tops is a highly subjective statement. BM is hugely overpriced and every Spyderco I've ever owned has better fit and finish and has come with a far more capable edge out of box. My Manix 2 came so sharp that could whittle hair. I've never owned a BM that displayed the quality my Manix 2 and Militaries have.
>>
>>34497736
>ihavenocluewhatimtalkingabout.jpg
>>
>>34497655
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE3_p7Fxwg [Remove]
this is like the 2000's reboot of deliverance
>>
Reminder that it wasn't that long ago when nearly every Cold Steel knife was AUS-8 with a retarded blade geometry.
>>
>>34497862
>>34498002
>Cucksteel internet defense force/10
You're reminding me of the days of CSF
>>
>>34492578
>No one cares that you actually use and know swords, flip off snigger
>>
>>34482282
Laughable . The only superior sword is the katana which has been folded at least 400 times
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.