[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started watching the show Vikings. (I know Im slow) I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

I just started watching the show Vikings. (I know Im slow) I must say the amount of strategy these guys use is incredible. Even with sub par weapons the dominate. So Viking general also ancient combat general.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 301x167px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 301x167px
Axe Vs.Sword who has the advantage?
>>
File: 98526023.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
98526023.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>
vikings is a shitty, reddit innacurate tv show.

the correct term is NORSEMEN, the norse are a subsection of the GERMANICS.
>>
>>34480040
forgive me sir Ijust assumed the history channel would try to make it some what accurate
>>
>>34480040
Norsemen Vs. Apache?
>>
The Vikings lost literally every proper battle they fought, they were only good at raiding undefended villages.
>>
>>34480046
>the Hitler, Aliens/Conspiracies, and reality TV channel
>>
>>34480057
weren't they a problem for the Roman empire for a while?
>>
>>34480062
Ok you got me there they are just running out of history. How many WW2 Docs can they show?
>>
>>34480057
except they didn't raid villages, which were usually pagan.

they raided monasteries and christian cities

>>34480069
>>34480046
>>34480056
>>34480062
>all this historical innacuracy

don't confuse NORSEMEN (NOT VIKINGS) WITH SOUTHERN GERMANIC TRIBES RAIDING ROME

THE NORSE RAIDING WAS HUNDREDS OF YEARS AFTER THE SOUTH GERMANICS RAIDING ROME
>>
>subpar weapons
Do you really think what the Vikings carried was subpar by 9th century standards?
>>
>>34480080
Why did you include me in that response? I was just pointing out that the "History" channel has almost nothing to do with history, so it is pointless expecting them to have any accuracy at all.
>>
>>34479994
You are going to be disappointed, as the series goes on the combat becomes less and less organized and goes more the movie melee route. I'm not sure there's a shield wall done at all after the first or second season
>>
>>34480017
Alone? The sword. With shields? They're about the same.
>>
>>34480402
but axe can be long or short or even be used as mid range throwing axe
>>
>>34480470
Swords can be long or short too, but they're more nimble in the hand. You can cut, thrust, and parry with a sword. An axe can deal out a lot of damage, but they're a little heavier, slower, and usually shorter (one-handed).

The problem with tip-heavy weapons like axes, warhammers, and maces is that it's much harder to defend yourself without something like a shield or buckler because your hand is much more exposed compared to using a sword.
>>
>>34480470

Sure, but a pole axe is going to be used in formation or the wielder is going to wind up dead pretty quickly. Yes I'm aware of that one story, but the reason there is that one story is because it was an exception.

And if you're throwing your axe instead of using it as a melee weapon, enjoy dying unarmed.
>>
>>34479994
>Viking strategy
>Sneak up and attack defenseless coastal villages at night
>Rob defenseless churches and rape women for slaves
>Run like hell when the local militia shows up
Snowniggers, dark age Somalis, you name it.
>>
>>34480057
Not entirely true. They did conquer some lands (mostly temporarily).

>>34480069
At least 400 years off.
The carolingian empire did have their quarrels with them though.
>except they didn't raid villages, which were usually pagan.
>they raided monasteries and christian cities
Are you implying all the christians lived in cities or something?
>>34480084
They were poorer and less well equipped and organized than the armies of middle europe and england.
>>34481225
Opportunity makes thieves. Scandinavia was a bit (not by that far) backwards compared to middle/western europe, but their edge in shipbuilding allowed them to indeed steal with impunity for a while. As soon as there were proper defences and they understood that trade was much more profitable (and they were integrated into christian europe) the raiding stopped and scandinavia caught up economically (more or less, with the harsh climate). No comparison to universally shitty africans or even other temporarily powerful peoples like the mongols, who never managed to make themselves civilized.
>>
>implying Norsemen didnt conquer England
>implying Norsemen didnt temporarily conquer parts of Italy
>implying Norsemen werent hired as personal guards to the emperor of Byzantium
>>
>>34479994
>the show Vikings
NO
N O
N O
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.