[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can submarines fire heat-seeking missiles? https://www.yout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Submarine.png (400KB, 842x347px) Image search: [Google]
Submarine.png
400KB, 842x347px
Can submarines fire heat-seeking missiles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q1PW6yztpg
>>
>>34469529
they can fire nukes and ejaculate angry frogmen but for some reason you think they can't fire heat seeking missiles?
>>
>>34469529
Some Soviet subs could launch a Strela from a mast to kill MPA aircraft.
>>
>>34469532

Aren't heatseekers normally for killing aircraft? Why would a submarine need anti-air capability?
>>
>>34469529
Who knows what those russians have
>>
>>34469540
Why not?
>>
>>34469540
aircraft are a subs worst enemy
>>
>>34469529
No reason they can't but none have apart from MANPADS they can stick out of the conning tower.

As far as I am aware.
>>
>>34469552

Because aren't submarines normally, you know, underwater? Why take the risk of surfacing just to fire off one puny missile?
>>
>>34469557
Because MPA and ASW helos are a serious threat.
Coming to PD and shooting down a plane or helo might be the key to evade ASW forces.
>>
>>34469557
Because
>>34469553
>>
>>34469540

so it can shoot down planes
>>
neat

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6894/have-submarine-launched-anti-aircraft-missiles-finally-come-of-age
>>
>>34469570

Why not just stay underwater? The aircraft can't see you if you're underwater.
>>
>>34469594
I am about half sure you are trolling.

But just in case your questions are legit:

1) aircraft carry bouys with sonar sets on them. They can send data to the aircraft allowing them to detect subs.

2) helos can have these bouys as well as a sonar on a cable that they can dip into the water when they hover.

3) Both have magnetic sensors that can detect the changes in the Earths magnetic field caused by a huge hunk of metal like a submarine. The range for this is somewhat short, requiring the aircraft to almost fly over the sub at low altitude but is useful.
>>
>>34469529
they can't but the dipiction of heat seeker in the movie is fucking retard
>>
>>34469671
Yes, some can.
>>
>>34469529
The fuck did a single AA missile do that.
>>
>>34469701
it was a typo
sorry

i was type "can"
>>
>>34469529
This is the Fast and Furious now? How did it come to this?
>>
>>34469529
Subs often carry MANPADS in the mast as a last defense against aircraft, but they lack any launcher like the one in the video. There are tube launched anti aircraft missiles though.
>>
>>34469529
British and Soviet subs used to carry MANPADs for attacking MPA and ASW aircraft. But they were removed because a sub would have to come to an almost complete stop, go to periscope depth and then sit there for a few minutes as it searched around for a target. By that point the aircraft hunting it would have probably found the sub and started dropping torpedoes and depth charges on it.

If I remember correctly, the German navy is planning on making tube launched heatseakers based off their IRST missile. The missiles would be fired out of a sub's torpedo tubes in a protective case similar to the ones used on sub launched harpoon missiles. I think that the USN may do the same thing with the AIM-9x, but the only source I've got is rumor and conjuncture.
>>
>>34470850
Initial D ended
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.