[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So im going to have a custom rifle built Mauser action in 300

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: images-167.jpg (7KB, 457x321px) Image search: [Google]
images-167.jpg
7KB, 457x321px
So im going to have a custom rifle built

Mauser action in 300 win
Carbon fiber composite stock
New trigger set
Bolt will be lapped and fluted.
Glass bedded
Invar pillars

Now when it comes to the barrel should i get a Aerograde Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrel ? What are the pros other than slight weight saving?

Remember this is a hunting rifle not a range queen so wont have 100 rounds a day through it. Whats peoples experiences with carbon fiber barrels?

Or should i just go steel?

It will be threaded for suppressor and will also have a custom break made.
>>
>>34469017
why the fuck would you want a superlight gun in 300 win? whatever break you put on it better be excellent.
>>
>>34469031
Because im climbing fucking mountains with it.. im only firing 1 to 2 rounds. Im not made of glass.

Saying that the stock will have a bit of steel layed into the forend to stiffen it and add a little weight.

In the NZ mountains we spend a few days camped and climbing some pretty steep stuff.
>>
>>34469031
Also it will mostly have a suppresor on it so that takes a lot of the whip out of it and add weight.
>>
>>34469031
Im also not totally set on 300 win. I might go 30-06. I have a .375 but thats strictly an open sight gun. I dont want to scope it.
>>
I'd say go for it. You can always add more weight if you want to.
Do you have any WIP pictures, or pictures of the components? Custom action or modifying one?
The last one because I've seen some garage builds of old military Mausers, which are basically a bunch of +/- fancy parts hanging around an old and crummy (yet undeniably strong) action.
>>
>>34469068
Isn't NZ like one third sheep farming, one third forest and one third at a 60 degree angle?

Also, how much are you spending on that rifle? And who is the custom manufacturer?

You probably won't find a richfag at this time of night that has experience with any custom rifles, try 10-15 hours from now. 10 will get Europeans, but they are generally begins or shooting club members, 12-15 will get you Americans with day jobs and a lot of shitposting either way.
>>
Why are you shelling out oceans of money on some dumb fudd gun instead of building a lightweight AR-10?
>>
>>34469091
No WIPs at the mo as its still in planning hence this thread. It will be a new action from mauser. Im choosing masuer as ive had a few mausers and loved the action. No relics all new mausers like the m12 etc.

The carbon barrel is in budget. But if some people with experience have negative results i could always move that money into the glass.
>>
>>34469099
I dont want one..
>>
>>34469093
Some pretty good Red stags and Thar. I also hunt in other countries. Hence having a break made as well for non suppressor friendly countries
>>
>>34469093
Fair enough on the time zone thing.

But just thought id give it ago.. im not going to come back on in the early am to talk guns.. i have work.

Its going to be built by a proper gunsmith. I do alot of work with them and know the owner quite well. So ive had a bit of a discount on some parts.
>>
>>34469115
The AR-10 will have objectively better performance at what you need it to do, unless the only thing you plan on doing is long range benchrest shooting. Since you said that you plan on using it to hunt, consider that a bolt action will not save you from an Alaskan Brown Bear, Polar Bear, Hippopotamus, Moose, or Elephant that decides to charge you and that the higher capacity and rate of fire on an AR-10 will, in all cases, make it easier to bring down your target regardless of whatever it is.
>>
>>34469127
Then try some high end firearm forum rather than 4chan. How much are you spending on it?
>>
>>34469136
In NZ.. im not sure if your aware we dont have polar bears and elephants.

But i did say ill be using it in other countries but those will be mainly Australia and Canada. And the place i go in canada ill be fine with bears.

I have a SxS 375. For africa and northern Australia for the water Buff. If you can find a faster shooting gun that throws a 375 than a SxS let me know. And its a 375.. it will stop what you aiming at. And if your going to say " what about capacity " in africa there is usualy a guide and assistant who also have some large caliber rifles with them also.
>>
>>34469144
Im starting to realise this.. im spending about 4.5K on the gun and planning about 2.5K on the glass (Leica)
>>
Anyway back on subject

Does anyone on here have experience with carbon fiber wrapped barrels.
>>
When you realise /k is full of poorfag AR owners.
>>
>>34469632
/This
I'm sure there are better forums out there to ask these questions.

/k/ is full of dumb kids LARPing as Navy SEALs with AR15s decked out with airsoft stuff. I'd bet 90% of this forum has never fired a .300WM, let alone anything bigger than .223
>>
File: Yogo-in-the-sand.jpg (977KB, 3863x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Yogo-in-the-sand.jpg
977KB, 3863x1728px
>glass bedded
Did you learn about rifle accuracy from 60s and 70s gun magazines? Sweet mother man, this is the current year.
>>
>>34469180
honestly with what i have read and seen in reviews they are fine specially if you shell out for a good manufacturer but being NZ you guys have a fair range you shott at yeah? it seems on longer shots due to either barrel rigidity or harmonics whatever the excuse going over 600yards i would say stick to steel for now

but mostly my opinion no hands on for the moment
>>
>>34469784
Its better than ali bedding.. that reacts to heat
>>
>>34470200
But it doesn't crack. And the action heating up creates more thermal expansion than the stock/chassis will
>>
>>34470254
Thats mainly why ive gone for Invar pilars

What would you do then
>>
>>34469017
Why a Mauser action? You'll have to headspace it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.