[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"A bullpup is a firearm with its action behind its trigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: MZ-14-PLUS.jpg (7KB, 400x211px) Image search: [Google]
MZ-14-PLUS.jpg
7KB, 400x211px
"A bullpup is a firearm with its action behind its trigger group. This configuration permits a shorter overall weapon for a given barrel length. This maintains the advantages of a longer barrel in muzzle velocity and accuracy, while improving maneuverability and reducing weight."

Tell me why bullpups aren't the superior weapons
btw this is a Ruger Mini-14 conversion into a compact stock called a Muzzelite
>>
Because in pretty much anything that isn't a marksmans rifle, the gains aren't particularly worthwhile. They had their place back when SBRs were shit in the pre-90s, but nowadays a quality 10.5" AR can give you sub-moa performance, so a bullpup really doesn't hold much value in most types of weapon.
>>
File: muzzelite-kit.jpg (50KB, 768x559px) Image search: [Google]
muzzelite-kit.jpg
50KB, 768x559px
>>34468378
>this is a Ruger Mini-14 conversion into a compact stock called a Muzzelite
The Muzzelite stocks are also atrocious pieces of shit.

Their only justification for existing is for movie armorers to make cool sci-fi guns out of like in Total Recall and Starship Troopers
>>
>>34468378

>reducing weight
>bullpup

Bullpups tend to be heavier. So that's a crock of shit.

Otherwise, they are better for service rifles and acceptable for anything else thats not a belt fed LMG.

That said, it's still cheaper to just buy M16A4s and the gains don't REALLY cover the increased production cost, mainly due to 5.56 being a shit round outside city fighting.

If a new larger, more powerful round gets adopted, it's better to use bullpups purely to get that extra barrel length to maximise muzzle velocity while keeping the rifle more compact.

But ofc that means retraining the entire US army from the ground up so it's unlikely a brand new rifle will be adopted as an AR platform in the new calibre to save on headaches when you need to retrain your pet monkeys in how to use a new weapon and maintain it.
>>
>>34468454
but it turns it into a small tactical long range weapon for cheap. only would have to spend like 400$ on this thing including the kit
>>
>>34468395
No serious marksman would ever consider a bullpup because half the battle is the feel of the trigger and bullpups necessitate separating the trigger from the hammer by a linkage. Also I don't know of any bullpup designs which allow for a free floated barrel. In practice a decent AR-15 with a 16" barrel will run rings around a Steyr Aug with a 20" barrel in accuracy.
>>
>>34468484
>Ruger mini 14
>long range

I'm not even going to chastise you for choosing to unironically use the word 'tactical' when talking about this fucking monstrosity. you should feel bad about liking this.
>>
>>34468513
ok :(
but what should i look into instead.
I want something cheap but that has long range capacity while being compact
there are other bullpup stock conversions out there I believe
>>
>>34468501
Ain't the FAMAS free floated? Shit trigger tho
>>
>>34468523
And I want a car that costs as much as a Tata but looks, handles and feels like a Mustang.

Christ you are fucking stupid.
>>
>>34468556
..ok thanks
>>
>>34468523
>Compact, cheap, and long range accuracy.
Just pick 2. I'm not sure there is a compact product that is particularly long range capable. If there is something that does it well it probably isn't cheap.

So pick, do you want a cheap CQ or a cheap long range.
>>
File: 1486676155379.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
1486676155379.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
>>34468378
>best
>>
File: AC-556 tacticool.jpg (28KB, 639x299px) Image search: [Google]
AC-556 tacticool.jpg
28KB, 639x299px
>>34468484
>for a bargain
Considering that the new Mini-14 rifles go for like $600 to $800+ new, no, not really.

Maybe if you got an old 180 series rifle, then put an AccuStrut on it (so you don't get +5MOA groupings after one magazine). But even then, I would much sooner recommend a Tapco stock over a Muzzelite stock, because at least it won't be horribly brittle and creaky, or have an awkward heavy triggerpull, or somehow jam brass inside it's plastic body.

>tactical long range
For one, there's no reason you can't operate operationally with a Mini-14 as is, a traditional curved rifle stock doesn't stop you from doing so, people did it for a century just fine.

For another, 5.56mm is best suited for a maximum range of like 400yds, if you want to reach further, you want another rifle, using a Mini-14 as a fighting rifle kind of works, but you also don't really use fighting rifles for extended ranges.

If I wanted to tacticool up a Mini-14 I'd probably get a Sage stockset and put an ACE folding stock on it.

>>34468481
>mainly due to 5.56 being a shit round outside city fighting.
Ah yes, which stooge are you, the 6.5mm or the 6.8mm one?
>>
>>34468378
They don't necessarily have better balance.
>>
>>34468501
>In practice a decent AR-15 with a 16" barrel will run rings around a Steyr Aug with a 20" barrel in accuracy.
proofs
>>
>>34468687
Is that a FAMAS
>>
File: AC556 Butler Creek.jpg (38KB, 629x253px) Image search: [Google]
AC556 Butler Creek.jpg
38KB, 629x253px
>>34468523
>while being compact
Put a folding stock on a Mini-14 then have it SBRd?

Pic related is an AC556k (the select-fire version) with a Butler Creek stock, it's pretty compact, and you could probably make something similar that isn't a machinegun out of a brand new Mini-14, just have a gunsmith professionally shorten the barrel and alter the gas system for reliability.

It should be decent enough for 300yds if you practice.
It won't really be that cheap, mind you, but it'll work as a compact fighting weapon. Maybe you can do it as a long term project, pick up a new rifle, then in a few months get the folding stock, maybe file paperwork to make it an SBR, then once that's done find an experienced gunsmith to help you out.
>>
>>34468816
>short-stroke piston with no free floating barrel
>no piston and a barrel that's trivially easy to free-float
Gee
>>
File: 1496780928481.png (202KB, 340x253px) Image search: [Google]
1496780928481.png
202KB, 340x253px
Good fuck is it summer here. BARREL LENGTH != ACCURACY. In fact, all other things being equal, a longer barrel is always less accurate than a shorter barrel of the same profile because it is less rigid, giving it more whip and greater sag as it heats up. All you get with bullpups is poor accuracy capability from the non free float barrel and stuff pressing on it inside the stock plus generally shitty triggers and a mild velocity increase over their sbr OAL equivalents, as well as a generally more cumbersome manual of arms.
>>
>>34468687
People in the middle east are quite happy with this one.
Is this because it works or because their arab brains tell them to love shiny and extravangant things ? We'll never know.
>>
>>34468378
Retard.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
side mags are the better meme layout
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.