[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help /k/ I'm about to buy my my first EDC pistol, and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

help /k/

I'm about to buy my my first EDC pistol, and I'm leaning towards a 9mm, however the .45 is slower, so over-penetration is less of a concern. Which is better? Should I compromise and stick with my Glock 20 with the .40 barrel?

Also what pistol should I get? I'm a big guy, and I won't say I'm a rich man, but not really concerned about price tag so much as would rather get something that doesn't suck that I can practice a lot with. A safety is a must, and want something I can plonk an optic on.

Right now I'm looking at the FNX45T and the Sig P320 (haven't decided on Compact vs. full yet). Feel free to tell me why I am wrong or dumb.

Also caliber war thread general I guess
>>
>>34465157
9. Load it up with 9bple and call it done. More rounds usually, especially if you're going double stack. More rounds means higher likelihood that you make a hit means a higher likelihood that you come out of the nightmare alive.
>>
...What the fuck is this? If not bait, then congratulations on considering getting your first gun.

So 45 will penetrate reliably because of its mass, often considered more reliable than 9mm to get through windshields. Next, fnx is too big to cc due to size and weight.

Honestly I think the modularity of the sig 320 is your best bet. I always recommend 9mm, but 45 has its merits. Don't get .40 because I project the ammo cost of it to skyrocket once supplies run out in a few years as less and less professional agencies want to field it- short term though prices will drop but it depends on how future proof you want your gun to be.

In the end it Depends on what you're most comfortable with. Go to a range and rent a bunch of different things
>>
just find the one that costs the most money and has a picture of a navy seal on the front

the general rule is how much money you spend directly correlates with your skills as an operator
>>
>>34465157
>45 is slower, so over-penetration is less of a concern
frangible ammo, HP and hand loading all are a thing.
>Also what pistol should I get?
shield.
> A safety is a must
YOU are the safety you fucking retard, but your Glock also has 3 so stick with that I guess.
>>
>>34465270
can you get cowitnessing iron sights on a shield?
>>
>>34465157
> Optics on an EDC pistol
Please tell me this is a troll. If not:

> 9mm
> Cheaper to shoot than 40 or 45. You can buy 3 boxes of cheapest 9mm for every 2 of cheapest 45.
> Low recoil, good for new shooters
> Better barrier penetration due to higher velocity
> Stopping power is more about ammo type. Check this out:
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Tbh I get the feeling you'd probably be best off with an M&P or M&P shield in 9mm.
>>
>>34465295
You want to stick an RMR on a subcompact? Why?
>>
>>34465295
Out of the box, not that I am aware of. But ask mark at precision tool. He did my p227 at his estimated price and within his estimated time.
>>
>>34465157

CC

>Usp .45 Fullsize
>12+1
>230gr Winchester Ranger JHP + P
>15$ Leather holster
- Fuck anyone who says buy a expensive ass holster for ur first cc, buy the cheapass leather one.. and you will see what you desire from a holster -
>Gunbelt

There you go.
>>
>>34465157
Get whatever one you feel comfortable shooting and whatever you feel you shoot better. Look at HK for handguns because FN and SIG are memetrash. I would recommend a P30, P2000, P2000 SK or USP.
>>
File: noise.jpg (280KB, 1024x881px) Image search: [Google]
noise.jpg
280KB, 1024x881px
>>34465157
>9mm
Might as well save a ton of money and get one of these
>>
>>34465349
>>34465375
Compact, not subcompact.

The invitation to be told I am wrong carries the implication that you should explain to me why.

My googling isn't really turning up any reason why to not have a reflex on an EDC - all I've found is people who've never done it saying how much of a problem it would be and people who do do it saying it's no issue at all.
>>
>>34465157
Chances are you're never going to use it, so get what you want.
>>
>>34465500
Increased weight and bulk, if its bulky you will start leaving it at home and then never carrying it. Get something small and concealable, and something you will carry 100% of the time, I've never met anyone that carries an optic on their edc
>>
>>34465157

Just bought a CZ P07 for $400. I like it. I already got a Glock 19, Shield .40 and M&P40. Tried both calibers just to see what's up, and I prefer 9. I like .45, and plan on getting something in the near future for suppressing. Leaning toward an HK, but we'll see.
>>
File: smolguns.png (2MB, 2319x1118px) Image search: [Google]
smolguns.png
2MB, 2319x1118px
>>34465500
Compact v. subcompact really doesn't matter, they're poorly defined marketing terms anyway. However, the shield is the same size as a G43; it's pretty small (yes I know the pic is an M&P9c, they look about the same from the side).

I'm not decrying the idea of a red dot on a carry gun, it just strikes me as odd. Guns in that size group tend to have low sights designed to reduce snagging, and the slides are often thinned out. I haven't seen anything with an rmr mount on it in that size range, nor have I seen anything in the way of high sights as a default option. Basically, if you want to cowitness a red dot on a pistol that is designed for and marketed for concealed carry, you're unlikely to find a factory ready option. However, you can probably find a gunsmith who'll do the slide machining and install some higher sights for you if you have the dosh.
>>
I have both an fnp 45 and a shield 9mm. I can say from experience that it's really hard to conceal the fnp and I'm a pretty stocky guy (former butcher, currently a diesel technician). The shield is so small it feels like my hands are going to swallow it and I'm still getting used to the da only but it's way more concealable. I'd recommend the shield for edc, if you can get both keep the fnp for a vehicle or desk gun. It also open carries really nicely.
>>
>>34465157
The shorter the grip, the easier it will be to conceal. The narrower the gun and the shorter the barrel, the more comfortable it will be to wear.
>>
>>34465157
Get the full, you can easily convert it to compact if you decide that is what you want. Sig made it very versatile.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.