[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be poorfag >Gifted a PTR91 by brother >Live in an apartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: ptr91.jpg (28KB, 758x177px) Image search: [Google]
ptr91.jpg
28KB, 758x177px
>Be poorfag
>Gifted a PTR91 by brother
>Live in an apartment with paper thin walls
>Neighborhood isn't the best in terms of break ins either

Any protips so I don't hit someone next door by accident?
>>
>>34464239
>Any protips so I don't hit someone next door by accident?

Git gud.
>>
>>34464239
Hollowpoint defense ammunition. Shit tends to be pricy but you only need to buy enough for one incident.
>>
>>34464239

Super poor fag here.

Only have 1 gunz. Like you I got gifted a rifle by a family member who did not like it after he shot it a few times. Ruger Scout .308. Not ideal, but for a busted ass broke guy I really appreciated getting it.

For home defence I saved up and got http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/308-win-tap/110-gr-tap-urban
>>
>>34464239
Under load your cartridges.
It'll become a bolt action but they wont penetrate too much.
Just pour 1/3rd of the powder out and get good at wracking.
>>
>>34464239
Get a bayonet for it. Problem solved!
>>
File: 45645645645645.jpg (25KB, 591x336px) Image search: [Google]
45645645645645.jpg
25KB, 591x336px
>>34464346
Are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>34464370
Post an argument as to how that wont work instead of a meme, friendo.
>>
>>34464346

Squib loading 101.
>>
>>34464375
1. OP is a poorfag, so he's unlikely to be able to afford reloading materials. Also the PTR's chew brass, so reloading will be less cost efficient.
2. PTR's ergos are shit and it lacks a forward assist. It wouldn't be unlikely for the action to not go fully into battery.
3. ur a nogunz fagit.
>>
There is no reasonable answer to this question.

>inb4 frangible ammo
No. They are designed to turn to powder when they hit steel. Your apartment isn't made of steel. It otherwise preforms like a FMJ.

I believe there is a Swiss company that makes wooden and plastic .308 training rounds that are more than lethal at close range but idk much about them.
>>
No substitute for accuracy my friend.
>>
>>34464607
Shit, do I just try and shoot from a good angle to minimize collateral damage and hope for the best? I could buy 2-3 boxes of the hornady defense ammo and leave it at that.
>>
Get a limited penetration .308 or something liek that. The urban 308s marketed to police like someone else posted is good.

If you could find some surp with a partial jacket and a lead nose or maybe one of those Lapuas for deer that have the thing on the front.

Dont pull bullets dump powder or anything dumb like that.

Reloading is a possibility if you go the cheapest route you are still looking at $100+ and thats just dies, primers, powder, and bullets in enough quantity to matter because you have to test fire at a range. And if the thing eats brass then there you go.

Would subsonic loads have less pen? Do they make any at or lower than 1000fps?
>>
http://beckammunition.com/subsonic-ammo/308-win-subsonic/308-win-180gr-rex-expanding-subsonic.html

>does not cycle in semi auto

:(
>>
>>34464239
Maybe trade it or sell it for something ideal? You could potentially get a nice pistol and build yourself an AR with the money you'd get if the rifle is in newish condition.
>>
>>34464347
Not a terrible idea in close quarters, but I don't think it has a bayonet lug.

I vote the lightest and fastest hollow point you can find.
>>
OP here.

Am I seriously better off with saving up for a hipoint and using that instead?
>>
>>34464783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZI-a6oI9c

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900285352/winchester-pdx1-defender-ammunition-308-winchester-120-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

You're welcome.
>>
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/645121822
You might be able to track down a reloader to make some for cheap.
>>
Lighting up 308 indoors should be a good fucking time, makes me feel better about the thought of ever being forced by circumstance to use my 10.3 AR pistol with a brake and no suppressor for home defense
>>
>>34464755
Getting a bayonet and lug would cost about $50 all together if you look in the right places.
>>
>>34464691
Your best answer is to get some lehigh defense maximum expansion ammo, but it's still a shit answer. .308 is NOT meant for home defense, unless you live on a ranch with nothing around you for 1000 yards in every direction.
>>
>>34464861
If you miss, that's still going to rip through 4 apartments. Humans are much more dense than drywall, which is basically paper mache.
>>
>>34464239
I know it's shitty to sell a gift but it'd probably be in your best interest to do so. Get a decent AR or a USP/FNX 45. .45 likely won't penetrate even with ball ammo. Plus if you get a 5.56, 9mm or .45 weapon plinking ammo will be cheaper too.
>>
>>34464375
Reloading is fucking pretty expensive to get into, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Anywhere from $3-600 right off the bat.

PTR chews the fuck up out of brass, first off, and second off it's gonna be hard as fuck for OP to have what's functionally a bolt-action PTR, because the platform doesn't fucking lend itself towards that unless you're a 6'8" god.

Lower velocity out of that sack of shit means the boolit probably won't fucking go where he wants it, and why the fuck would you use 308 in HD in an apartment anyway? The fuck are you thinking?
>>
If you can, get a high-expansion round. Subsonics would be nice, but make sure it cycles fine before you load it up for HD.

Really, I'd just recommend aiming for the gut instead of the chest. It won't be instantly lethal, but it'll hurt like hell and it'll put them on the floor. Once they're ruining your shag carpet, move up to the chest.
>>
.308 caliber wadcutters
>>
>>34464239
How fucking poor are you that you can't afford a $200 shotgun and a box of buckshot?
>>
>>34464239
Literally Aim
That it.
Just Aim
>>
>>34464239

I guess keep in mind where your neighbors sleep. Take peace in the thought that if you had to use your weapon against a real intruder, that you would most likely be cleared for killing your neighbors. Just don't spray wildly through the walls at the fleeing criminal, trying to hit him through the wall as he runs away, or anything equally stupid, and you won't be charged for negligently discharging your weapon and killing your neighbor. A couple, good center mass shots at a criminal are well within u our right, and if they pass through the criminal and hit an innocent then that's the criminal's fault for putting you in that situation, especially if that's the only weapon at your immediate disposal.
>>
>>34464239
>>34464691
just lock your doors and keep valuables out of sight, trying to not get robbed in the first place, theres no room to think about accidentally blowing through a wall if youre already to the "kill the intruder" stage.

if you grease a neighbor defending yourself, well shit, apologize I guess. but apart from using hollowpoints like hornady defense, a bat, or a different gun theres nothing you can do to make it 'safer'. ignore retards like >>34464346

have fun with the PTR though, they seem great. dont sell it.

>>34464783
if youre THAT worried then I guess? a PTR is a hell of a gun to kill an intruder with, and your ears will not thank you. Chances are you wont kill anyone even if you do accidentally blow through a wall but >>34465436 its not a home defense round, its a long range rifle round
>>
File: great again.jpg (7KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
great again.jpg
7KB, 261x193px
>>34464239
>Any protips so I don't hit someone next door by accident?
Sell the rifle and get something more appropriate for HD.
>>
>>34465832
This. Trade it in for something cheaper. Just get a fagging high point, you cannot go wrong with HP(as a poorfag)
>>
I'm not sure about .308 (IIRC it penerates a lot) but for my AR i have winchester PDX1 ammo which is designed to fuck up soft tissue but not penetrate through too many walls. Honestly I'd just save up for an AR or a shotgun. I'm poor as fuck too but even I was able to scrape together 500 for a starter AR build, and shotguns an be had for even less
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.