[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the actual point of modern light combat aircraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: fa50datass.jpg (77KB, 1024x639px) Image search: [Google]
fa50datass.jpg
77KB, 1024x639px
So what's the actual point of modern light combat aircraft like the FA-50 or the Gripen? I mean, they're both similarly priced to heavier aircraft that are often faster and can carry more to boot (F-16 spring to mind). They look good and all but I don't see why you'd want to buy an inferior plane unless it's used in a remarkably different way.
>>
>>34460690
To sell to nations incapable of supporting heavier aircraft
>>
>>34460712

What so they need longer runways or something?
>>
>>34460721
It would cost them more fuel, maintenance on engines, airframes and components.
>>
>>34460690

US sells good but sells expensive too, and thats not something everybody can afford, thats why to this day its still possible to see MIG-21 and MIG-23 around.
>>
The FA-50 and Gripen C are significantly cheaper to buy and run than an F-16C. Simply put, the countries that operate these aircraft want some sort of air interception and ground attack capability, but can't justify the cost of a more expensive system.
>>
>>34460690
Not everyone throws money at their Chairforce.
>>
File: image.jpg (198KB, 1200x812px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198KB, 1200x812px
>>34460690
>less expensive to buy
>less expenive to use
>less expensive to maintain
>still reasonably good at getting ordnance into the air
>>
>>34461074
dis
Also it's possible to perform pin-point accuracy ground strikes with very cheap airplatforms becoming more available. If you're not getting air domincance, then what's the point in investing more than the bare minimum?
>>
File: gripen e.jpg (41KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
gripen e.jpg
41KB, 634x422px
Well, it's already been answered, but they are cheaper to maintain, and require a miniscule supply chain. The Gripen E for instance can be reloaded with a crew of five in something like 15 minutes.

And they are highly maneuverable and can carry a decent payload while dogfighting, so they can fend off most threats that are from less developed nations.
>>
>>34460690
For south korea, they need a fighter to replace both the F-4s and F-5s (which they had by the hundreds) as second line fighters to complement the F-16s, F-15s and F-35s
>>
The best plane for the job is the plane you can afford to operate, not the hanger queen you only bring out for parades.

iranianf14.png
>>
>>34460690
Also, from Eurofag perspective, there is difference whether you buy 30 Gripens or 15 Eurofighters
>>
>>34461780
Especially if the question is 30 Gripens that you can afford to operate and get decent flight hours for your pilots with, or 10 F-35s that you can't
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.