[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings /k/, Quick question regarding hearing loss from a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1491855053490.jpg (29KB, 367x384px) Image search: [Google]
1491855053490.jpg
29KB, 367x384px
Greetings /k/,

Quick question regarding hearing loss from a firearm.

I don't have much money, so I can't afford to see an ENT unless absolutely necessary - but here's what happened.

So there I was, shooting my friend's AR15. I wasn't paying enough attention to my hearing protection, and did not have overhead muffs. Just plugs.

Anyway, I didn't put the plug in right on my right ear(Right handed), so the ear pro came out after a few shots, and then my ear was fully exposed. It was a few rounds into it that I realized I was without hearing protection.

This occurred on Saturday, and my hearing has not improved. It has slightly, but not much. Basically everything is muffled, and higher frequencies sound like it's coming from a blown out speaker. The ear itself doesn't hurt, and I can still hear.

Before I go see an ENT(I do not have a physician). Has anyone here had any similar experiences?
>>
>>34454090
>It was a few rounds into it that I realized I was without hearing protection.
How the shit did you not notice instantly?
You'll probably be ok in the long term, and even within a week. But I'd see an ent to be safe, they can maybe minimize the damage and you only get one set of ears in this life.
Just hope your tinnitus(constant ringing insta-hearing damage) goes away and isn't permanent. Because there is no cure, it'll make it hard to sleep, and interfere with hearing normal stuff.
>>
File: fuckingstupid.jpg (61KB, 360x252px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingstupid.jpg
61KB, 360x252px
Go see an ENT you idiot. At least get the damage assessed.
>>
You're fucked. the doctor can't do anything.

How the fuck can you not notice an earplug falling out, my man. You asked for this. You made your bed, now lay in it.

Honestly, maybe you were already deaf, because how the FUCK?

Ever been to a loud concert? You should be okay in several days.
>>
You'll experience some permanent hearing loss but after a week or so you'll adapt to it and not notice a difference any more. You may or may not experience tinnitus. It's only through cumulative exposure that it will have a noticeable effect.No need to go to an ENT, the damage is already done. Try not to let it happen again.
>>
>>34454131
I was focused on hitting the target until I started hearing ringing and pain.

The ringing has gone away, mostly. It rings for a minute or less a few times a day - that's not a big deal(for now).

I dunno. ENT's are expensive. I was thinking of giving it up to a week before I scheduled an appointment.
>>
>>34454173
I can kindof relate, as I've been hunting and that pure focus of the shot can really make gunshots sound less painful.
Like I said then, chances are you'll be 99.9% ok soon.
You probably just ticked off some more time on your biological hearing clock and will lose hearing faster as time goes on, even if it's just negligible amounts.
3000fps 22cal centerfires are loud as hell though, it's quite a loud snap when they fire. Be more careful to use plugs properly next time, they should NEVER fall out if they're in properly at all.
So long as you don't hear constant ringing driving you nuts when you try to sleep, forcing you to put on background noise, that's probably not going to continue.
>>
>>34454170
>>34454142
>>34454141
I expect hearing loss, all I care about is this damn blown speaker thing that's driving me nuts. I'll not make that mistake again though, that's for sure.
>>
>>34454197
Tinnitus runs in the family, my grampa was the biggest pro-safety shooter I've ever known. Always had hearing protection. Had crippling tinnitus by the time he hit 45. Coincidentally the same time he went bald. So I'm probably screwed either way there.

hearing is muffled right now, with light occasional ringing, and blown speaker sound with high frequencies.

What's more annoying is I'm a musician and I can't hear the other band members when we play, and I always wear ear monitors when I play to protect my hearing.
>>
>>34454090
I had something similar happen to me. You'll be fine. It happened to me a month before leaving for bootcamp almost 4 years ago. They picked up on the damage during a hearing test but it wasn't an issue. Every hearing test since has shown my hearing in my right ear is improving. My ear was ringing for the weekend and stopped after a few days.
>>
>>34454222
>crippling tinnitus
yall some bitchmade motherfuckers, ive had objective tinnitus for as long as i can remember and it's only once been anything remotely close to 'crippling'
>>
>>34454284
My grampa can't hear anyone over his ringing.

Mix that in with his parkinsons, dementia, enlarged heart, diabetes, and heart disease and it's a cocktail of bad genes.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.