[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If SHTF, is it better to have more guns of the same caliber or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1200px-Mini14GB.jpg (88KB, 1200x414px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Mini14GB.jpg
88KB, 1200x414px
If SHTF, is it better to have more guns of the same caliber or at least one gun of multiple calibers? Currently I have a fuckton of .308 and 7.62x39 but no .223, I think that's a problem. Convince me to buy one of these.
>>
The Mini-14 is a lot of fun. Buy one and shoot it to your heart's content, anon.
>>
File: CAM01987.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01987.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Multiple calibers. 308 and 12g are on my list.
>>
>>34452757
A shotgun, rifle and sidearm for every one in your family. Shit tons of ammo. Shit ton of things to trade like medicine, gold, water, seeds, alcohol and other guns. But most importantly, have a skill people will need. Doctors, carpenters and engineers will thrive while lawyers, politicians and accountants die.

I dont think we'll ever see this but, if you want to be prepared gun wise, get a glock and ar since parts will be everywhere.
>>
>>34452757
Have mini-30

don't even shoot my AR anymore. Would pick that gun up first if SHTF without thinking twice.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers and their hate of the Mini's. Most of it is just repeating myths and their hate of Ruger. Plus, the old Mini's were crappier than the new ones.
>>
>>34452770
Should I even if I only have an AK? I prefer the M1 aesthetics to an AR, and I want wood without having to shell out a fuckton of money for wood AR furniture
>>34452789
I need 12g too, shotguns are cheap though
>>
>>34452757
If it was truly shit hits the fan you would want maybe 50k rounds of .22lr, a dozen 10/22s with several mags each and one semi auto .308 or equivalent with 1000 rounds of ammo and replacement parts.
>>
>>34452986
Also a few blunderbuss made with modern tech
>>
>>34452890
New Minis will shoot 1.5 or 2 Moa, true, and they are as reliable as any AK, but the Mini 30 that my friend has won't feed steel case, and his Mini 14 can't hit the broad side of a barn at 300 yards.

To each their own.
>>
If you are rich enough to build a bunker you might as well spend 1000 dollars to get ten different single shots, each in a different caliber. Maybe some super cheap handguns or shotguns
>>
>>34452854
>if you want to be prepared gun wise, get a glock and AR since parts will be everywhere.

This is the smartest thing you can do to be prepared gun wise.

INB4 glocknade and muh AK memes
>>
File: SW 686 9mm conversion.jpg (89KB, 795x598px) Image search: [Google]
SW 686 9mm conversion.jpg
89KB, 795x598px
>>34452757
I'd say multiple calibers of the cartridges most common in your area. The guns should have multiple/overlapping roles or at least the ability to fire multiple calibers if you're that concerned about a SHTF scenario.

For example, a decent AR rated for 5.56x45mm can fire any 5.56 or .223 you find and be used for self defense, DMR purposes, and hunting anything from groundhog to deer. If you buy a 22lr conversion kit to throw in your kit, you can swap out the bolt and mag in a pinch to shoot .22 Long Rifle in semi auto or single fire .22 short if you must.

A .357 revolver can shoot .357 magnum and .38 special. If you get a 9mm conversion cylinder, you can swap out the cylinder to shoot 9mm and .380 acp, pic related. They won't be as accurate but it's better than not being able to shoot them.

If you live in a fuddy area, a .30-06, .270 winchester, or 7.62x51mm (and by extension .308 winchester) bolt gun isn't a bad idea. Since these are common hunting rounds. Using a bolt gun in one of those three calibers also allows for the ability to have multiple barrels in different calibers that you can swap out without having to change the bolt face or fiddle with a gas system. You can do this with the Savage Edge/Axis for example.

It's all about minimizing your logistical needs for ammo.
>>
I try to stick to common calibers. 9mm/.357/.223/.308

My only odd balls are 54R and 30.06

One because I bought a bunch of mosins and the other because muh garand.
I also have my grandads 1911 so I keep some .45 around.

But I don't shoot that one much.

All my shotguns (3) are 12g
>>
>>34452757
I am going to break the mold. In almost every realistic SHTF scenario I can think of, I can see no reason to raid others or go out looting. Those are the only reason to have multiple guns of different calibers. You are far better off stocking on a few guns of whatever caliber you like and a bunch of rounds in that caliber.

If you have a bunch of guns in a different caliber each, should one of those guns break, you are now stuck with a bunch of ammo you can't use. Should you have a bunch of guns in the same caliber, should a gun break, you still have other guns that use that ammo.
>>
>>34452757
I want a weapon in each common caliber 9mm .40 .45 .357 5.56 .308 30.06 maybe 30.30 12 gauge and .410 as well just my thought a well made weapon with sturdy iron sights (and good scope which can be removed in such a way you can still use the iron sights as well)
>>
>>34454623
depends on how long said SHTF scenario last it may be useful to be able to trade or use captured ammo. though you are correct in the way that more than likely any SHTF scenario will be relatively short in the realm of a few weeks to a month. thus weapons and ammo stocking takes a back seat to food, medicine, shelter, drinking water and power
>>
>>34453005
does anyone make this? afaik muzzleloading BP are "antiques" as far as the doggo shooters are concerned so SBS rules dont apply...

i'd love to OC a fuckhueg short blunderbuss
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.