[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if a .38 special 3" barrel revolver were released today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

File: this with three more holes.jpg (281KB, 1000x970px) Image search: [Google]
this with three more holes.jpg
281KB, 1000x970px
What if a .38 special 3" barrel revolver were released today that had a nine round capacity but remained the size of a compact six shooter, through black magic. Would three more rounds make it the most popular carry piece in America, or would 9mm autos still reign supreme?
>>
Glock 19 still holds more. Needs more black magic.
>>
>>34452001
I don't know what black magic is supposed to mean, but theoretically if it were the same size and worked the same as a normal six shot I could see it becoming wildly popular. The 3" barrel is a limiting factor though.

>>34452043
It's also far more likely to jam when you need it most.
>>
>>34452053
Only if you are bad at gun
>>
>>34452391
>guy grabs gun and it jams
>this is somehow your fault
k
>>
>>34452412
Contact shots are far more difficult out of a semi auto. Needs a standoff device, which makes holsters harder to come by.
>>
>>34452001
I don't think capacity would make a difference. Lightweight snubnosed revolvers are very popular carry options.

Especially with people who shouldn't be shooting them.
>>
>>34452001
Why the fuck would want 38 over 9mm? revolver or not, 9mm is by far a better round.
>>
>>34452615
It's just a theoretical question, a 9mm 9 shot isn't possible because I said so
>>
>>34452656
No then. I would stick to a single stack 9mm. A 9 round 9mm 3 inch revolver might change my mind.
>>
>>34452412
If you let a guy grab your loaded gun, then yes it's your fault.
>>
>>34452053
>hurr anything thats not a revolver is un reliable
Slow it down there Elmer.
>>
>>34452889
Ah yes, the classic "I'm a perfect human being so nothing bad or unexpected happens to me" argument.

>>34452903
Don't recall ever saying that.
>>
>>34452615
>9mm is by far a better round

That, and it gets better ballistics due to compact and subcompact semi-autos having longer barrels than their snubnosed revolver equivalents

>>34452701
9mm would have more snap out of a revolver though, regardless of barrel length
>>
>>34453000
They have longer barrels because revolvers have separate chambers. Combine cylinder and barrel length and 2" revolvers are actually a bit over 3".
>>
>>34452412
> guy grabs cylinder
> gun doesnt work
????
>>
>>34452924
"I will not take basic precautions and learn to fight but lol nobody's perfect"

Enjoy your revolver
>>
It still has a recoil, shape, reload speed, complexity, and price deficit over any basic .380 but with similar performance. The round count isn't really the problem with j-frame revolvers (that have 5 rounds in 38 special but are still popular).
>>
>>34453000
I have one revolver (ruger bh) that can I shoot 375, 38, and 9mm out of. It's 6 inch so this isnt going to be the best answer but I cant tell the difference between 9 and 38, 357 on the hand...ya I know what I just shot. Biggest problem with a 9mm revolver is ejecting the cases. Its fine in a SA where you manually move the cylinder and the hit the case from the bottom with the ejector...a rimless case in a DA where the case sits on the ejector would be an issue but Im sure someone has done it or could figure it out.
>>
>>34453050
you can still force the cylinder to turn by squeezing the trigger hard unless they have cyborg grip
>>
>>34453050
>guy grabs slide
>gun doesn't work
>>
>>34453050
Grabbing the cylinder from both sides and trying to keep it from rotating is a shitfest.

That said the "what if he grabs your slide" argument is fucking retarded.
>>
>>34452701
There's .45 ACP revolvers.
>>
>>34452001
Why not a 17 round 9mm?
>>
>>34456018
Its a stupid argument regardless. But id you have too dont grab the cylinder. Shove your hand in the hammer gap
>>
>>34452656
Sure it is with a giant ass cylinder
>>
>>34456836
Shh, I'm having fun watching the autist fight
>>
>>34452001
Revolvers suck for carry as anything but a BUG. Lightweight snubs, even more so.
>>
>>34456509
There's 45-70 revolvers.
Whatcha point?
>>
>>34457271
What makes you think that?
>>
>>34452431

>Standoff device
>Hard to come by

Have you heard of a TLR-1, anon?
>>
>>34452053

>It's also far more likely to jam when you need it most.

Let's give one person a double fed G19, and the other a revolver suffering from a spring failure, a timing issue, or bullet creep. Which is going to get cleared first? If you've never seen a revolver take a shit you haven't shot very much.

DESU I'd take a G19 over OPs "OH YOU THOUGHT YOU RESET? LOL!O!L!OL NO FUCK YOU DEAD TRIGGER" special pic related any day.
>>
>>34457564
Don't recall ever implying that revolver jams aren't a big problem when they happen. They still don't generally happen as often.
>>
>>34453058

Lol retard alert. Not the guy you're talking to but take a look at some self defense companies that focus on gun retention.

Even trained guys in close quarters regularly get their handguns pushed out of battery and have a jam up close.

A 6'4 officer had the same thing happen to him when the big Nig Mike Brown started whopping on his ass. Had Mike Brown continued the assault instead of walking away giving the officer plenty of time to tap and rack his gun, there would have been another dead officer.

Don't tell me your skinny fat ass is gonna handle situations better than a big ass experienced trained cop
>>
>>34457564
>because all those revolver issues are anywhere in the same realm of being as
>>
>>34452001
A .38 lcr is the size of an lc9. You still have a larger size than an auto .380 and a fatter body, and slower reloads.
>>
>>34457564

You're being incredibly dishonest but more than likely you're just stupid and lack crticial thinking skills which is why you're making such an unfair comparison.

You're trying to compare a critical failure in a revolver to a easily cleared malfunction in a semi... wow who'd have thought.

The fair comparison would be to say a critical internal part inside a Glock and a revolver both broke... and guess what... neither would work and that point lol

Now let's compare more REALISTIC scenarios.

>Gun jams.... oh shit gotta tap rack and bang while being shot at, grappled with, stabbed, etc

Now revolver

>bullet didn't fire pull trigger again.

I carry a G29 but let's not act like the revolver doesn't hold advantages because it definitely does.

I carry more firepower when I'm out in ghetto areas but around my house or when I want to conceal very well in summer a pocket. 38 special revolver is enough.

And to OP I'd buy one in a heart beat if you made the barrel 2 inches.
>>
>>34457664

With a hell of a lot more reliability and ammo options. Don't forget that.
>>
>>34457446
For the former, it's just a matter of weight and capacity. Semi-autos typically weigh less than equivalently sized revolvers while offering much greater capacity.

While .38 Special is by no means a bad cartridge (at least out of a barrel 3 inches or longer), 9mm beats it in every way.

.357 Magnum is more powerful, but for defensive use a good 9mm will offer equivalent performance with much less muzzle flash, noise and recoil.

As for lightweight snubs, they just exacerbate the problems snubs already suffer from: short barrels increasing recoil, diminishing velocity and energy of rounds (further exacerbated by the cylinder gap), while increasing recoil even more due to their aluminum frames. .38 Spl+P can feel like a magnum load out of a lightweight snub to an untrained shooter.
>>
>>34457725

>Now let's compare more REALISTIC scenarios.

>bullet didn't fire pull trigger again.

You are a moron.
If you are being grappled/stabbed you have already fucked up. There are a thousand different things that will happily stop a revolver cold in this situation. Exposed hammer? I hope there is nothing preventing its motion. I sure hope that cylinder doesn't have have anything preventing its rotation (Or it hasnt been unlatched while, you know, people are fucking wrestling for it.)
>>
>>34452001
I doubt it personally. For a civilian choice of revolver vs. auto isn't about capacity (since chances of you needing more than 5-6 rounds are virtually zero), but about speed vs. "it just werks".
>>
>>34457743

I carried a Kahr p380 that held 7 shots of .380

That thing would jam even with FMJs, feel incredibly uncomfortable with it's small grip, trigger felt like shit. And it would print the shape of a gun in the pocket even with a pocket holster.

Same thing with my Sig p238

Now my hammerless .38 special airweight model holfd 5 shots. But the grip is way better, incredibly instinctive to point and shoot due to it's grip. Doesn't have the blocky print of a revolver in my pocket. And most importantly the chances of it jamming especially in close contact distances/struggle/shooting one handed are incredibly low.

And using modern short barrel ammunition. 38+p it's more powerdul than similarly sized and weighed. 380s

Semis are the present and the future but no company has yet made a pocket semi that I'd pick over a pocket revolver. When they do then sure I'll switch over.
>>
>>34457794

Magazines coming off in struggles is practically unheard off, the cylinder being swung open is probably on the same spectrum of probability.

I'm speaking about a revolver without the hammer. And mind you there's plenty of hammer fired semis out there.

And I'm sorry to have to teach you basic self defense asshole... but a criminal won't let himself be known to you until he's already on top of you or incredibly near by.

Or do you go around warning everyone around you..

"GET AWAY FROM ME, STAND A MINIMUM OF 21 FEET FROM ME SO THAT I MAY HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO PULL MY CCW AND REACT BEFORE YOU GUYS STAB ME OR GRAB ME. I AM CARRYING A GLOCK 19, STAND BACK"

Maybe you live in the middle of the woods or desert and can greet strangers in the wilderness that way. But for those of us with social life in the city, every person we walk by could be a risk, and they won't announce their attack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=js0haocH4-o
>>
>>34457740
>Hell of a lot more reliability
Do you even own guns dude? Semi autos that arent taurus/hipoint tier rarely ever jam with almost no maintenance.
>>
File: ruger redhawk 8 shots.jpg (39KB, 478x394px) Image search: [Google]
ruger redhawk 8 shots.jpg
39KB, 478x394px
>>34452001
physically impossible. Revovlers are just fat girls, thats the way it is. 7 is the minimum for them feeling normal, the 8 rounders are like giant flare guns, I fucking love em though.
whenever you pick a gun for cc, you have to sacrifice something. Capacity, caliber, concealment, you can have two. You want a tiny gun that tucks away but isnt lol 380? Youre looking at a pocket 9mm with lol only 7 rounds. You want a double stack in a deccently powerful cartridge, its something that wont slip away in your pocket
ts just physics man
>>
>>34458454
This. If you're worried about whether your gun fits into your pocket, your priorities are fucked up.
>>
>>34458429
not him but have you ever experienced FTF/E in revolver
>>
>>34458607
No. But I've never experienced one in either of MY semi autos.
>>
>>34458454
I understand that a normal revolver could not fit that much, that's why I said it's because black magic.
>>
>>34452001
>He doesn't CC a double barrel SBS for maximum reliability
>>
>>34458628
you are either lucky or don't shoot much
>>
>>34460345
5k rounds a year through my carry piece. Its called maintenance and buying quality in the first place.
>>
>>34460379
To further clarify. I have experienced failures in other people's guns that I've shot. But those people buy bargain guns and don't clean as religiously as I do.
>>
>>34460379
>>34460382
I believe you, but I still think there is luck involved. Statistically you should have to experience malfunction at some point.

But as you said, combination of extensive maintenance and right ammo gives you reliability of revolver with just minimal care.
>>
>>34457564
i think the point people make when they say revlovers are more reliable is theyre either working or broken. theres no real comparable stoppage to a double feed or stovepipe in revolvers, and im pretty sure theyre impossible to limpwrist.
>>
>>34454510
I feel like that would mess up the timing
>>
>>34452001
What the hell is 327 fed mag?
>>
>>34463100
Google will tell you for free.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.