[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What bolt action rifle should i buy? Are internal mag or removable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: rem-700-sps-review-file (1).jpg (785KB, 4065x2443px) Image search: [Google]
rem-700-sps-review-file (1).jpg
785KB, 4065x2443px
What bolt action rifle should i buy? Are internal mag or removable better? I just want an all rounder
>>
Well, I mean, think about it. What advantage would a fixed box magazine have over an identical magazine that was removeable?
>>
>>34446757
>What advantage would a fixed box magazine have over an identical magazine that was removeable?

Well, you're 100% sure that you can load a fixed mag from the top of the rifle quickly and easily.

Some detachable mags don't let you do that.

OP, it really doesn't matter. Chances are you're not going to pay Tikka another $90 to get a second tiny magazine anyway.
>>
>>34446757
lighter, cant lose it, dont have to spend a fuckload of money buying spare mags.
>>
>>34446778
Do some rifles have both? Ive seen some that have a removable cover underneath?
>>
>>34446823
some fixed box magazines have a removable floor plate to unload the rounds so you dont have to cycle the bolt
>>
>>34446841
Ok thats what that is. Thanks
>>
>>34446823
Like I said, it really doesn't matter. By and large, these magazines are made with "fitting flush to the bottom of the stock" being the primary design criteria.

A Blaser R8, for instance, technically has a detachable magazine.

However, to detach it you also have to remove the entire trigger assembly.
>>
>>34446882
Ok cheers. Any recommendations on brand and calibre?
>>
>>34447013
>on brand
Whatever you can afford.

>calibre
Hooooooo boy is this a doozy of a question.

Safe answer is .308 Winchester.

If you want something else, you'll need to tell us the intended application (what you're shooting) and what distance you expect to do it at.
>>
>>34446734
Just buy an ar and don't use a gas port.
>>
>>34447030
Money isnt an object, but i dont want to go crazy. I was looking at the remington 700 but i know there are some mixed opinions.
>>
>>34447042
I'm pretty sure OP is either a euro or a non-American anglo.
>>
>>34447042
Im australian mate. We cant have semi autos unfortunately.
>>
>>34447065
Are your laws based on thought crimes, or actual configuration?
>>
>>34447056
How much embellishment do you want insofar as fit and finish are concerned?

Plastic or wood?

Do you have any idea of how much bolt throw (how far you need to turn the bolt to get it to lock/unlock) you prefer? Some rifles have ~60 degrees, most are 90.
>>
>>34447068
Theyre banned as of about 20 years ago. There was 1 massacre and the government went full 1984. Handguns are hard to get too. They even banned a 7 shot lever action shotgun, the adler. Now theyre only 5 shots.
>>
>>34447091
Im really not sure mate. I like the aesthetic of wood, so unless plastic is vastly superior i will probably go wood. Bolt throw i honestly couldnt say.
>>
>>34447096
What I'm asking is if you were to somehow acquire an ar and it lacked a gas port, whether that would be against the laws to posses.

Meaning whether "you could theoretically do X" makes it illegal or "you literally did X" is what makes it illegal.
>>
>>34447111
Plastic is for beating, wood is for looking good for a few years until neglect finally leaves it looking like crap.

Would you be adverse to buying a levergat?
>>
>>34447135
I actually have a lever action 30.30. Got it years ago when i first got my licence.
>>
>>34447111
Plastic is inferior, at least as represented by that Remington you posted. The majority of factory synthetic stocks are milk jug plastic.

Wood is a step up though not much. If aesthetics are your thing and you like it, ok, but it gets beat to shit with use and won't hold that aesthetic long. It also handle weather poorly and will adversely impact accuracy. If you won't be using the thing much neither should be a concern.

Laminate wood is another step up in that it suffers weather better than solid wood. It gets just as beat up and starts off uglier, to me.

Higher end synthetic stock composed of fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber, etc. are the business. They can look nice and hold that look despite being beaten on (a la McMillan gel coat). They are unaffected by weather. Stronger than wood yet lighter. Downside is there aren't many good ones on factory rifles. Kimber Montana and derivatives, a couple Salvage offerings, Barrett Fieldcraft, Remington Ti....probably some others but you get the idea.
>>
>>34447128
Yeah not sure. I assume if you can turn it back into a semi auto, its probably illegal
>>
>>34447316
But the only thing that that is true of are singleshots...
>>
>>34447316
>>34447367

Terribly sorry, that was horribly phrased. What I meant was that the only thing that can't be turned into an automatic is a singleshot.
>>
>>34446734
k31 or enfield
>>
>>34447375
Post your plans for turning a Remington 700 into a semi-automatic.
>>
>>34447128
9mm, 22 and im guessing 45 ar 15s dont have gas systems. Blow back baby! They also make bolt action 50 bmg ar uppers. I have no idea about the laws, but full auto with or with out gas systems, semi with or with out gas systems, and bolt action ars have been around for a while.
>>
Can anyone recommend a nice bolt action with an internal magazine? Prefer stainless / polymer as I live in a rain forest. Caliber of choice is .308 or something similar.

I have a Ruger Scout but I dislike the heavy laminate stock and the detachable mags. The mags kind of suck and I'm prone to losing things.
>>
Ruger predator rifles seem good for the money.
>>
>>34447578
i mean they did it to a 1903 Springfield.
>>
>>34447065
technically if it doesn't have a gas port it'll be a straight pull ar like the britbong AR15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS6fGmYl-fM
>>
>>34447989
An AR with adjustable gas would make for a nice hunting gun if the charging handle wasn't in such a fucking retarded place. No other gun has it there, why did that nerd Stoner do that?
>>
>>34447771
weatherby vanguard
http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard/vanguardr-weatherguard-h-bar.html
remington 700
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sps-stainless

these are gonna be the most common rifles. And if you decide to go with the remington, be sure to thoroughly inspect the rifle and make sure it's good since the QC has been shit the past few years.
>>
>>34447578
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U682yOpNafg
Gas piston and a cam.
>>
>>34448069
they originally had it on top inside of the carry handle. also the gas tube was on the bottom which made it burn the shit out of your hand, so they moved the gas tube to the top, which in turn made the charging handle stupid hot so they moved the charging handle to the place it is now.
>>
File: cont the joke.jpg (63KB, 720x429px) Image search: [Google]
cont the joke.jpg
63KB, 720x429px
>>34448069
>A non reciprocating, ambi charging handle was a bad idea in the 50's.
>>
>>34448267
Current charging handle location is good for keeping the gun sealed from the elements and if you use the bolt release you should only need it once per shooting session.
>>
>>34448346
>>34448069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUKXIrDE0I&t=857s

actually a pretty good watch with little known information.
>>
Howa 1500
>>
>>34446734
Browning AorX-Bolt
>>
>>34446734
You sound like your just getting into it.. maybe look a Bergara B14's they come with both a floor plate and a mag conversion in the box. Have both worlds.
>>
>>34449939
Holy shit, thats awesome.
>>
>>34448270
>ambi

Yeah you have to unshoulder the gun to use it no matter which hand you're using
>>
>>34446734
I have a howa (rebranded by weatherby) and i love it. Holds 5 rounds internally and is easy to load from the top
>>
>>34446734
Either is fine as long as you don't buy Remington. Buy Winchester model 70 if you want an internal mag or Tikka T3x if you want a removable one. Either will make a fine hunting rifle.

By the way, get 270 Win. It's the best all purpose hunting cartridge.
>>
>>34447135
No, plastic is for lowering production costs while keeping consumer prices the same. It's a great way to increase profits at the expense of quality. Wood is a better material.
>>
Weatherby makes some nice rifles.

If you want an all rounder. Don't overlook the venerable .270 Winchester.

I have a Vanguard Sporter in .270 Win. http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard/vanguardr-sporter.html
>>
>>34452057
and use either hand you want...ambi.
>>
>>34452221
equally crappy
>>
>>34446734
Ruger M77 for internal mag. Don't really see the point of a removable magazine on a bolt action if you need to shoot that fast you should probably buy an auto loader. You can also take the rounds out the bottom if you want to unload the magazine without cycling the action.
>>
>>34452290
Removable magazine is a good way to get to it so you can load it. I think the Rugers that do use them though are because of that weird hard-on they have for a rotary magazine.

Also I don't see the problem with a removable magazine. Just leave it in the gun aside from you're loading/unloading it.
>>
>>34452290
3 rounds for hunting, 10 rounds for range day and as many as you can get in a 22.
>>
>>34447013
brand, savage. Caliber, 308 is all around
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.