[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we stop the slow but steady decline in quality of firearms?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: quality.jpg (9KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
quality.jpg
9KB, 251x201px
How do we stop the slow but steady decline in quality of firearms? How do we make manufacturers show the attention to detail that we as consumers deserve?
>>
Buy high quality guns
Refuse to buy low quality guns
>Inb4 not worth more than 400 bucks
Yeah, that's how you get there.
>>
>>34444394
>t. HK rep
>>
>>34444362
We have access to more accurate and robust firearms today than anything I got my hands on back in the 80s. If the computer/chemistry dorks ever get 3D metal printing working that can lay down something like 4150 steel or 416 stainless, that's going to be a lot of fun for both designers and consumers.
>>
Nigga what are you smoking, options for consumers of all income levels has never been higher. Complain all you want that ARs flood the market, as firearms get cheaper and easier to make, more and more Americans will be able to exercise their second amendment rights
>>
>>34445236
im sure such a thing is possible, but it is probably prohibitively expensive. between printing and annealing the steel, some sort of forging and/or quenching process the old fashioned way of using a subtractive method and just cutting the barrel out of a block of steel is just cheaper and easier to do qc on.
>>
>>34445311
They are already doing in-air laser controlled printing and annealing. 20 years from now we're going to muse on how annoying replacing dies and cutting tools were.
>>
>>34445236
>>34445264
>denial of the problem
If you don't think there is a problem, then your standards are very low. Many younger shooters don't remember the days when quality was not only expected, but demanded. This isn't just nostalgia. I have personally seen heavy, gritty triggers, action screws that protrude into the action when tightened too much, sloppy parts fit, defective parts that need to be replaced, screws that get loose and need to be re-tightened, slights that are way off from the factory, etc. These are little things, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. Attention to detail is what separates the winners from the losers.
>>
>>34445470
> younger shooters

Savages are better now then they have ever been, as long as you can handle polymer stocks. Ruger hit a rough spot for a while, but they are putting out better revolvers and rifles than anything I touched back in the 70s/80s. I don't recall Smith and Wesson having anything even conparable to their M&P line back then, but I wasn't really into semi-autos there.

I'm waiting for Remington to get their head out of their ass and realize they can't rest on what people used to think of their 700s and 870s.
>>
>>34445506
Don't hold your breath. Everyone who made Remington what it was died or got canned.
>>
>>34445506
>Smith and Wesson
Don't even get me started on them. I'm still pissed about the Hillary hole. I could forgive them if they stopped putting it in new guns, but the fact that they continue in their treachery is execrable.
>>
>>34445506
The M&P, along with nearly all other striker fired pistols, is a plastic piece of shit.
>>
>>34445542
Go back to bed gramps
>>
>>34445556
Appeal to novelty fallacy.
>>
>>34445506
Ruger is part of the problem for sure. The fact that every 10/22 needs a trigger job and an aftermarket firing pin and extractor out of the box is an outrage.

>>34445556
Plastic fucking shits REEE. Every Glock should not come with sights that require immediate replacement.
>>
>>34445573
not an argument
>>
>>34444362
Buy custom rifles.
>>
>>34445542
Outside of niche hunting calibers, all metal pistols along with DA/SA are going to be nothing but a novelty in 10 years. Doesn't matter if you and I like it or not, but that's the way it goes with technology.
>>
>>34444362
Stop buying AR15s and pay the extra 200 dollars to buy something else
>>
>>34445584
I agree. Calling someone "gramps" is not an argument.
>>34445631
Single action only is the only way to go. In theory, a striker trigger could be made very good, as it is in rifles, but nearly all those I have seen in handguns are piss poor.
>>34445635
It's not just ARs, unfortunately.
>>
>>34444394
This is the answer. There's plenty of quality out there, but you'll have to forego buying the latest CoD or Madden to afford it.

The decline in quality in all areas of manufacturing is driven mainly because people will consistently buy cheap and okay over expensive and good. Even when they're on their fifth set of cheap X and have paid twice as much as buying 1 expensive X which wouldn't need to be replaced yet.
>>
>>34444362
stop buying shit plastic pistols. stop buying gucci metal pistols

buy innovated and or high quality firearms even if you could get 3x glocknades for the same price.
>>
File: Oh_really.gif (382KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
Oh_really.gif
382KB, 500x338px
>>34445689
So basically you're saying stop buying guns?
This is a bold strategy, Feinstein, let's see if it pays off.
>>
>>34445686
The Russians have a saying:
>cкyпoй плaтит двaжды
It means the greedy man pays twice.
>>
>>34445635
Like what?
>>
>>34445735
Yeah, I'll be using that.
>>
>>34445735
Sounds like something from the end of Fiddler on the Roof.
>>
File: value_chart.jpg (37KB, 592x438px) Image search: [Google]
value_chart.jpg
37KB, 592x438px
>>34444362
The only way to stop the decline in firearm quality is to vote with your dollars. REFUSE to buy anything that is not on the right half of the chart.

But "gun people" are STUPID as FUCK, and the folks that own these gun manufacturers know it all to well. They've had us buying on the left side of the chart for decades, and they know we will never, ever, ever stop.

Result: $200 shotguns that are half plastic and rust and break within a couple of seasons. $1000+ handguns and rifles being sold as "High end" that have machine marks, MIM parts, poor reliability, and low service life.

But try to explain to a gun person that they just spend over a grand on garbage. They'll never understand it, and just get angry at you.

There's no way out guys. And it's your fault.
>>
>>34445536

explain this Hillary hole bs. Ive looked and can't get a straight answer from fucking anyone
>>
Can we use this thread as a calling card for previous gun models we'd like to see return?

Because I'd love a modern Savage 99 with their screwed in barrel nut and a rotating bolt similar to what Henry did.
>>
>>34446059
Internal trigger lock. People dislike it because it was an appeasement to gun grabbers, it's an unsightly hole with a big L and arrow next to if, and it can engage under heavy recoil.
>>
>>34446166

my old man has an S&W but it doesn't have it. is it a new thing?
>>
>>34446176
Started under the Clinton administration.
>>
>>34446176
During her husband's presidency Vice President and future nothing whatsoever Hillary Clinton ran a crybaby campaign about how awful guns were and said that we should think of the children who could accidentally themselves with them. S&W and a few other companies cucked up. I think of those who bent the knee only S&W and Taurus are still alive today.
>>
File: 20160810_00.13.40.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_00.13.40.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>>34446235

FUCK
>>
>>34444362
Remove restrictions on foreign imports like Norinco and let the competition increase the quality and decrease costs.
>>
>>34444362
is this bait? most modern tools and household appliances are absolute garbage, if the firearms industry followed suit we'd all be shooting ruger, hi-point and taurus.
>>
>>34445470
in other words you've been watching a bunch of Remington and marlin reviews. yeah it's a shame that some companies go to shit. there are other options.
>>
>>34444394
Continue to buy high priced firearms even when quality continues to decline from cost saving measures
Refuse to shed brand loyalty and try competitor products because you feel better with the more expensive brand label
Defend this choice with a fury despite empirical evidence, emboldening company to continue spending more on marketing than QA and design to make up economy-driven losses and mismanagement

And that's how you get modern Glock, Sig, Kimber, Colt, Remington, Springfield, S&W....
Spending more doesn't translate to better quality, but being willing to spend more for proven superiority does
>>
>>34446235
>future nothing whatsoever
Imma let chu finish but she became Secretary of State, the State bitch. She was a bad plane accident away from the Presidency during that term.
>>
>>34446339
>most modern tools and household appliances are absolute garbage
It's okay, anon, you don't need a handle on the microwave door. Also we're never going to standardize the backplate or top mountings so that your wall and cabinet turn into Swiss cheese.
>>
>>34446310
This would help.
>>
>>34446750
stopped using microwaves altogether a few years ago and never looked back. totally unnecessary convenience.
>>
>>34444362
>How do we stop the slow but steady decline in quality of firearms?
Encourage the consumer adoption of CNC.

>How do we make manufacturers show the attention to detail that we as consumers deserve?
You're a commie.
>>
>>34445997

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Tripfag, but he is right.

Vote with your wallet. I absolutely refuse to buy a new Sig Sauer because I'm not paying fucking $800+ for a pistol with goddamn Indian-made parts for the P22x line.
>>
>>34445997
It's kinda like how a fast food burger is advertised as this thicc and delicious, but when its served its a piece of shit but we STILL eat it and come back for more.
>>34446310
This.
>>
>>34446310
>sell Chinese products
>average quality will increase
Why would that be the case here and not in every other sector of the economy?
>>
>>34446310
I don't even care about Chinese guns. I just want their cheap ammo.
And fuck that God damn ap ammo ban.
>>
>>34444394
has the right idea. Vote with your dollar.
>>
>>34445818
Literally anything g else. Mini 14 is a good contender
>>
>>34444362
Fucking mossberg can't tap the barrel at 12 o clock for a bead sight to save their fucking life.

Is it that fucking hard to do?

It's a 18 inch shotgun sure, but damn it, it triggers my autism.
>>
>>34449744
>2x cost
>4moa
>1/64 the aftermarket
>1/2 the reliability
Yeah that sure is a great option.
>>
>>34444362
Maybe not buying poorfag guns would be a good start
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.