[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As of today I'm officially hasgunz and have an 870. Quick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 1461368164798.jpg (75KB, 800x950px) Image search: [Google]
1461368164798.jpg
75KB, 800x950px
As of today I'm officially hasgunz and have an 870. Quick question in regards to cleaning, what's a basic list of supplies you guys reccomend for cleaning and oiling?
>>
COSMOLINE
>>
File: 1498322446416.jpg (111KB, 598x683px) Image search: [Google]
1498322446416.jpg
111KB, 598x683px
>>34441863
Who is that QT?
>>
>>34441863
clp
bore mop

thats it...
>>
File: FRAGILE AS EGGS.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
FRAGILE AS EGGS.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
>>34441863
CLP breakfree (Clean, Lube, Protect)
Gun oil
A shotgun cleaning rod and attachments, though you don't really need to police a shotgun barrel as much as a smaller bore rifled barrel.

Personally I just cut up old tshirts to make patches rather than buy them, but I'm cheap and would rather spend my money on ammo.

Go get yourself a case of pic related, some target load 12ga, a cheap arm-thrower, and some friends, and go have a great day shooting clays!
>>
>>34441887

I'm going clay shooting this wednesday actually with some friends. Some guy at the range was talking about how he uses WD-40 for cleaning his Mossberg 500. Some people are strange
>>
Don't get a bore snake, the soft fibers will remove layers of steel from the barrel.
>>
File: 1414275560840.jpg (47KB, 322x501px) Image search: [Google]
1414275560840.jpg
47KB, 322x501px
>>34441902
what the fuck are you on about nigga

is this one of those "I was only pretending to be retarded" posts we hear so much about on four channel dot com
>>
lube of your choice

bore snake

maybe a rag to wipe the outside down because 870s seem to flash rust nonstop
>>
>>34441876
Camille Claudel
>>
File: ;'poipo.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
;'poipo.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>34441902
>>
File: 1498844543008.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1498844543008.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
>>34441902
kek

>>34441900
>wd40
Big mistake.
>>
How many penises do you have?

Go to Walmart and buy one those cleaning kits. It'll have everything you need. I like to have:

- One piece cleaning rod...the cheap sectioned ones break.
- Set of plastic patch holders that screw into the end of the rod
- Patches
- Can of CLP
- Bottle of gun oil

I used to have a toothbrush and a set of bronze brushes but now I just use patches for wiping down the parts and I haven't used the brushes in years.

Assuming you've never done this before, for the Remington 870, from memory:

Unscrew the cap on the end of the magazine tube. Remove the barrel. Wet a patch with CLP and run it down the barrel using your cleaning rod/patch holder. Let that work while you wipe down the inside and outside of the gun's other parts with patches wet with CLP. Then alternate running a wet patch and dry patch down the barrel until they are coming out with no powder residue on them. End by running a patch wet with CLP down the barrel. Wipe the CLP off the inside and outside of the guns other parts with dry patches. Apply the gun oil to the now dry parts...CLP will evaporate too quickly and newer 870s are prone to rust. Reassemble in reverse order from disassembly. Store in silicon impregnated gun sock for extra protection from rust unless you plan to keep it loaded and at the ready.

I field strip and clean after every time I shoot it. The military drives that into you. Some of these mongs never clean them and will argue that's best. I don't care, their guns are not my guns.
>>
Also, RemOil sucks as bad as that picture shows above. I've had good luck with Hoppes gun oil but I really like some kind of silicon impregnated goop that comes in a little black bottle with red lettering that I can't find anywhere anymore. That stuff never evaporates.
>>
neat, my first was a mossberg 500.

Pretty soon, you'll have a few more.
Basic basic basic stuff is
>dewey rod or bore snake (solid rod is much better, but more $$$ and takes up more space).
below is if you go rod:
>Copper/Bronze bore brush for general cleaning
>Nylon bore brush for copper fouling + use of harsh copper remover (not really that big a problem in shotguns)
>Jags for running patches
>Cotton patches
>CLP
>rags
>q-tips

if you want to get a bit more deep into it:
>dedicated solvent
>dedicated lube

even more specialized:
>dedicated copper remover
>wad/plastic remover (for shotguns and horrible messes)
>dedicated carbon remover

you don't have to get everything at once. Like tools, you slowly acquire stuff over time and you end up with a garage of stuff in the end.
>>
>>34441950
>>34441974

Thanks for the advice anons, I did see those cleaning kits when I picked up ammo but wasn't sure of their quality. What are your stances (for the other anons) on the interval of cleanings specifically for a range shotgun? I barely got my 870 today and was so excited to shoot I forgot to pick up a cleaning kit. Would a couple of days be alright for a shotgun to not be cleaned after a day at the range that also went through a few boxes of varyimn ammo? I'm going to be busy for the 4th of July and will be at a buddy's house the whole day for a bonfire[.
>>
>>34442007
You don't really need high quality for this. They'll last long enough even as poor quality as they are.

It'll be fine if you wait a few days. The only time you'd need to clean immediately is if you used ammunition with corrosive primers, but you won't see that with a shotgun unless you're shooting 70 year old ammunition.
>>
>>34442007
I'd clean it every couple hundred shells or so, plus another 1-2 times a year.
That's just the minimum for me.
>>
>>34442017
>>34442018

I appreciate the help anons, thanks for advice.
>>
>>34441900
you're going to want to clean with something designed for guns. What happens is when the gun is fired, some of the lube and oil gets vaporized and you may end up breathing it in. I don't know about you, but I don't want to breathe burnt wd40
>>
>>34442007
A shotgun is very very basic bitch when compared to the other types of guns. Especially a pump shotgun. It's basically a smoothbore tube, a bolt, a shell elevator connected to the pump action, trigger group, and magazine tube.
The only things that'll get real dirty would be the barrel and bolt, namely because pump shotgun is manual and not much gas and fouling gets sprayed everywhere else.

If you start to go into semi-auto handguns and rifles, then you have to sort of worry about the rifling, gas system, etc etc etc because the semi-auto system gets a little bit more complicated than a pump shotgun.

Unless you live next to an ocean, high humidity, or just general exposure to moisture and/or salt or other corrosive environments, you'll be fine with not religiously cleaning a gun, especially a pump shotgun.

And like >>34442017 said, unless you're shooting some real nasty as fuck ammo, most modern ammo are not going to be that harsh.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.