[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of the ring on the end of the hilt of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_0326.jpg (18KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0326.jpg
18KB, 264x191px
What's the point of the ring on the end of the hilt of the knife? Is it actually practical or just a meme?
>>
>>34424841
Arguably both, but id go with semi-practical. Shit's for your pinky finger. Helps keep your hand from sliding down the blade, losing the knife from your grip in a shitty situation, and makes switching grips(blade up or down) easier to do.
>>
I've seen people do cool spinny tricks with it and I guess it would be practical to hang the knife on stuff
>>
>>34424855
So would you carry an edc knife like this then?
>>
>>34424877
Just about any knife made of good material and properly honed will do. In general, the simpler the design, the better.
>>
>>34424841
its so you can tactically break your pink finger when someone tries to take it away from you
>>
File: It's Complicated (2).jpg (135KB, 799x588px) Image search: [Google]
It's Complicated (2).jpg
135KB, 799x588px
>>34424841
It does have a good practical use in very specific situations. If you are doing some kind of work that requires you do make a lot of cuts and also adjust the medium with both hands.

You can make all the cuts and then just let the knife hang off your pinky and have full use of both hands, and be able to grab the knife again instantly.

The only example of this I can think of right now is putting up a fabric tarp over arches as a sun canopy, something I have to do every season for work (landscaping nurseries, we have like 20 of them). I normally just bring a neck knife for that (pic related)

This is a very particular situation... Really the ring tends to be aesthetic or for "martial arts".
>>
>>34424855
Index finger for an icepick grip, you'll probably mangle the shit out of your pinky
>>
>>34424855

for your index finger, not the pinky.
>>
mostly karambit meme, but it allows for a one finger draw, help you snap stout sticks, you can get all kinds of line through it for extra leverage, carabiners, quater pound of expensive bead things, hang on a nail, instead of stab/sticking into wood.

I juryrigged a ring onto the back of an old gerber bootknife for kunai memes, found out it was actually pretty useful. but it eventually broke off and dont carry that knife anymore. daggers aren't practical
>>
>>34424841
Pommel
>>
I've seen it used a lot in fishing knives, because fish is slimy as fuck.
>>
It's for reverse grip you fucking idiot
>>
>>34424841
Is used for better and more comfortable holding, and you can also slide in a rope and put it as a chain.
>>
>>34427728
Because you can't reverse-grip without a ring?
>>
If I were making such a knife, I'd go with stock 1/4" thick and leave the ring at least 1/4" wall. That thing looks fragile. But a beefy ring could serve as a small brass knuckle, like a pommel on a larger knife type. They call those things skull crushers for a reason.
>>
File: It's Complicated (2).jpg (122KB, 799x588px) Image search: [Google]
It's Complicated (2).jpg
122KB, 799x588px
>>34425011
What are these 2?
>>
>>34428738
The black one is a Becker BK-15 with the micarta handles. The Satin/green one is an Ontario SK-5 Blackbird.

Both are very nice knives for their prices, have not really used either too much out doors yet.

I will say the SK-5 could have slightly better ergonomics if they were to just slope the spine of the handle a bit.
>>
>>34428779
Thanks!
>>
>>34424877
I do its very simple to deploy and use its pretty much a get off me knife
>>
>>34425011
That's basically the same reason I keep short lanyards in most of my knives. Just enough for one or two fingers
>>
>>34425011
That Wirkkala puukko - is that a replica or the original?
>>
>>34432162
It's an original. I got it from a family friend who's husband passed away, he was into collecting a bunch of things, including a few knives.
>>
File: uBdpBTD.gif (1MB, 213x210px) Image search: [Google]
uBdpBTD.gif
1MB, 213x210px
>>34425308
>>
>>34425011
What's the far right knife?
>>
File: img_5598-2.jpg (47KB, 588x392px) Image search: [Google]
img_5598-2.jpg
47KB, 588x392px
>>34424841
this answers your question
>>
>>34434318
Not him but it looks like a ka-bar bowie that he's ground the blade coating half off
>>
>>34424877
It's an EDC knife if part of your everyday planning includes the possibility of a knife fight and you're trained in a martial art which makes use of the ring. I think that some Filipino martial arts include it? If you aren't trained for it, the ring will just break your pinky finger in the event that you get pushed to the ground or forcibly disarmed.
If your EDC is more focused on surviving car crashes, opening difficult containers, or general woodcraft, the ring isn't that useful either.
>>
>>34433216
Beautiful, OP. I'm glad a treasure like this is in the hands of a man who appreciates it.
>>
>>34434467
Just occurred to me that I accidentally said "op" because that's just a reflex when I type an adjective followed by a comma
>>
>>34433216
Daym. I can't say that I'm jealous, but I definitely would like to own one Wirkkala Puuko myself.
>>
>>34424841
>the point
i c wut u did ther

also ring is to put cawk through
>>
>>34434816
Putting your dick and spinning the knife until you cut your balls is something I would read here and I would not even doubt it.
>>
>>34434318
>>34434395 Close but no.

It'a an Ontario SP10, a very solid American made knife for $50... but with a big flaw, way too thick behind the edge. I've been slowly thinning and polishing the grind to my liking, working on my flat polishing with water stones. Far from finished.

>>34434467
>>34434790
Thanks! It's one of my favorite go to knives to just sit back and do some light carving with.
>>
File: Cold Steel Battle Ring 39LRD.jpg (84KB, 800x234px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Battle Ring 39LRD.jpg
84KB, 800x234px
Drawing from concealment. You just need the ring exposed. Slip in the index finger, draw, and it lands right in your hand. Regarding retention - it does help when you use your index, not really when using your pinky.

However most are uncomfortable trash. They're usually too far away from the rest of the grip and they end up splaying my fingers which weakens the grip. And they're usually thin and flat so the ring digs into my finger if I clamp it.

The only good one I've held is the Cold Steel Battle Ring which is unfit for any purpose what so ever, just everything about the blade is bad. but dang it's comfy. The ring portion is wide, and the fairly thin grip means the ring actually lines up nicely with my fingers. The Benchmade SOCP is a runner up in comfort and that one is a LOT more functional for self defense.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.