[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Taurus PT111 Gen2 a good gun? I'm looking for a first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: 1-111031G2-12-3.jpg (309KB, 1024x833px) Image search: [Google]
1-111031G2-12-3.jpg
309KB, 1024x833px
Is the Taurus PT111 Gen2 a good gun? I'm looking for a first handgun, and I know Taurus is generally ass but I hear good things about this one. I was hesitant but it it seems to be everything I want (compact, decent capacity, aesthetic, manual safety), but it's a Taurus.
>>
>taurus
No. The only decent semi-auto Taurus is the PT92, and that's only because they literally manufacture it using existing Baretta processes.
>>
>>34423046
Can you recommend anything else in a similar price range?
>>
>>34423051
>Can you recommend anything else in a similar price range?
Ruger LCP seems to be rather popular, and it's $250 at the current moment. But I'm not anywhere close to an expert on the subject.

But you're really not going to get anything quality at a $200 price point. For an instrument that can mean the difference between life and death, you really shouldn't skimp on reliability.
>>
>>34423062
I might look around and see if I can find a good deal on a Canik. I don't want something too small however.

Also, what do you think of the difference between .380 and 9mm? I've only ever shot a .40 before and I'd prefer a smaller cartridge.
>>
>>34423087
I've seen a lot of Caniks shit the bed at my range. The trigger wont reset if you apply too much lateral pressure on the trigger.

Just save your sheckles and get something decent. You'll spend more in the long run buying sub par guns.
>>
>Is the Taurus
No
>>
>>34423087
.380 is adequate with proper self defense ammo, the guns are very small, and super concealable, but you should carry a 9mm if you can.
>>
>>34423087
My carry weapon is an MP Bodyguard .380. Go to your local gunshop and ask to fingerfuck various pistols in the .380 and 9mm ranges. Rent some and see how they fire.

Again, I CANNOT STRESS the importance of not skimping out on a gun purchase. You don't want something that will jam in the most critical moment of your life.
>>
>>34423087
>>34423137
So I went and did some legwork for you. If I were an unwashed pleb burger flipper these are the guns I'd be looking at:

.22 Plinker:
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=31889

Full size 9mm:
https://woodburyoutfitters.com/smith-wesson-m-p-9mm-luger-4-25in-barrel-109301/
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=8827&name=LEO+Trade-In+GLOCK+17+Gen+3+9mm+Handgun
There are also a lot of decently priced Walthers out there, but I didn't include them because I don't personally like the mag release. If you decide to go that way avoid the Umarex "Walthers".

Full size .40:
https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/products/semi-automatic-glock-glock-23
I don't necessarily recommend getting a cheaper .40 over a 9mm. The 9mm ammo pays for itself pretty quickly.

This is probably the cheapest I'd go:
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/148326
My buddy has one of these, it feels cheap but it was a surprisingly good shooter. No idea what long term reliability is like.

There's also a rebate going on right now that drops M&P Shields down to around $225, but I didn't include it because you said you didn't want to go too small.
>>
>>34423156
>>34423171

Know anything about the S&W 6904? I can get a good deal on one at my local store?
>>
>>34423171
>My carry weapon is an MP Bodyguard .380
Samesies
>>34423036
I've read nothing but good things about them. Clean the thing often and use decent ammo and you'll be fine
>>
>>34423214
Saved. Thanks anon
>>34423227
I'm not concerned about having a passdown gun. I probably won't even CC it.
>>
>>34423036
Seen over 30 reviews on YouTube and everyone says it's a damn solid gun.

>b....but it's a Taurus
Which they are known for being very hit or miss with firearms. This appears to he a hit.
>>
>>34423036
I own one.

It's not bad. learn to ride the reset. It's basically a DA/SA striker fired pistol. by that i mean the first trigger pull feels different than a shot after racking the slide, due to the second-strike capability (you wont really notice this on the range unless you deal with crap ammo, but be aware).

Just check for QC. takes down like a glock. the sights are adjustible and removable if you want fiber optics.
>>
>>34423036
You know how most companies will occasionally let a lemon leave the factory? Taurus has an inverse ratio. Sometimes a good one gets shipped and those become the mythical 2000-round no malfunction pieces. Almost every positive review I've ever heard is from somebody with new purchase infatuation that put 50 rounds of fmjs through it before declaring it their new favorite carry pistol. Make it to 250 rounds and expect something to break, but don't expect an easy warranty process.

That model is roughly the size of an m&p9c, maybe start there. A sr9e can be found around 300 new but the grips are really long. You can probably find a sd9ve for the cost of a Taurus but those are not very good. An extra $50 is a big jump in quality at the low end of the pistol market.
>>
>>34423036
I bought one at rural king a couple of years ago. After rebate I paid less than $200. It has been rock solid, with no malfunctions, stoppages, or broken parts. The size is perfect for carry. I usually carry an H&K or Sig, but I don't feel less armed if I carry the PT111.

I will say that the PT111 has noticeably lower craftsmanship than my more expensive guns. That hasn't impacted its utility.
>>
>>34423051
Buy an FNS40, I've seen them online for mid 300 and lower. Best $$$ for a gun.
>>
>>34423703
I've thought of it, but the mags are expensive as hell and .40 just isn't worth it at the end of the day.
>>
>>34423639

This. A family member has one and I have noticed the lower fit and finish but the reliability and the accuracy have been top notch. It shoots on par with my Glock 19 and my P2000SK.
>>
>>34423036
I bought one and the trigger bar broke (now the trigger doesn't work at all making the gun useless) after less then 75 rounds through it. Apparently it's a pretty common issue after some research and it's about 4 weeks each way to ship it to Taurus to get fixed. I had to spend almost 2 hours on the phone to get them to agree to cover it under warranty and I had to send a handwritten note with the gundescribing the issue. It's been about 5 weeks since I shipped it and still no word from Taurus. Basically I would not recommend OP. The design lends itself to prematurely breaking which is not what you want when using it in a nigger stealing your tv type of situation
>>
>>34423036
The fit and finish is noticeably inferior to guns in the $300+ price range, but they supposedly work pretty well
>>
File: canik tp9 SA - white.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
canik tp9 SA - white.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
>>34423051
Caniks are really good ~300 USD guns. Would highly recommend them.
>>
File: IMG_0279.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0279.gif
3MB, 200x200px
>>34423825
Fucking terrorist supporting piece of shit.
>>
>>34423868
>supports terrorists
>one of the only 6 countries that has sent ground troops against ISIS

That meme worked better before they did the whole Al Bab offensive.
>>
File: 1409700568526.jpg (27KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
1409700568526.jpg
27KB, 520x390px
>>34423036
No, don't buy one. I work at a big FFL and we get a shit ton of these things back with broken extractors and springs all the time that I get to send back to Taurus. They're so backlogged that their average repair time is around 3 months now. Save yourself the time and money and buy a quality firearm.

>What is quality then?
Not a Taurus.
>>
>>34423046
This
>>
>>34423036
OP here. It's decided. I'm getting a S&W 6906
>>
File: laughter stops.jpg (27KB, 313x254px) Image search: [Google]
laughter stops.jpg
27KB, 313x254px
>>34424782
>12 round pistol

Why?
>>
File: 1486268571027.png (141KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1486268571027.png
141KB, 300x300px
>>34424782
Neat.
>>
>>34424802
Because I don't plan on fighting off hoards of minorities with a fucking handgun
>>
>>34424815
So you'll just allow yourself to get killed?
>>
>>34423036
Don't listen to all the faggots on here who don't own one. I do and it's a fine weapon. It's made in the USA, along with the TCP.
>>
I had a Gen 1 and it was utter shit. I would hope the gen 2 fixed that bullshit but it's Taurus so I'm dubious.
>>
>>34423214
This guy gets it.

>>34423062
>Ruger LCP

Literally one of the worst choices for a first handgun you could ever make. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get a pocket gun as your first handgun. It will make you hate shooting, and you'll be a shit shot as a result.
Here's another good deal.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/glock-22-gen3-semi-automatic-40-sampw-449-barrel-151-rounds-used-police-trade-in?a=1950328

Save up about 500 dollars, buy a gun that is
-Mid sized-full sized
-Chambered in 9mm or .40
-carries at least 13 rounds
-made by a reputable company (aka not taurus)

There are plenty of good options out there
-Sig P320
-Glock 19, 17, 22, 23
-SMith and Wesson M&P
-Beretta 92 or PX4 storm
-FN FNS9
-CZ P10c, or even a CZ75 if you like them.

Just save up a bit more for your first gun, you won't regret it.
>>
>>34424782
Seems like a good choice. I've never fired one myself but people I know that own them love them. Police used them for a while and they are heavily featured in 90s cop shows, and you'll have something that stands out.
>>
>>34423214
>There's also a rebate going on right now that drops M&P Shields down to around $225, but I didn't include it because you said you didn't want to go too small.
That expired a few days ago, senpai.

F
>>
>>34424833
/k/ is a progressive board and I find such talk abhorrent
>>34425550
I've been competitively precision shooting for years. I know my way around a gun so I'm not too worried. Thank you for taking the time to lay it out though.
>>34425565
It's all metal too. 90s aesthetics are best aesthetics
>>
>>34423868
Hope you don't buy US, German, or French made guns then, either.
>>
Is that the one that fires randomly when shaken? Given the fact I have to even ask this question should answer yours.
>>
>>34425455
Round count or gtfo
>>
>>34423036
Walther Creeds can be had in the 200-300 range and I've had fun shooting mine. Just picked up the Ruger American Pistol. Haven't shot yet but I am hoping it shoots as good as it feels.
>>
>>34423036
research guns in your price range from various sources, go to a gun shop/range combo, a lot of them will take the price off the gun if you rent that gun to shoot and end up buying it.
>>
>>34423036
Don't listen to anybody that doesn't actually own one. The are fine for most everything you will need it for granted its not high end but keep it clean and its a good gun.
Everyday carry? No because I have better choices . If it's for carrying save your money and buy better but for a truck/ plinking gun/ learning to shoot gun it's fine and inexpensive for that use.
>>
>>34426208
I've got over three thousand through mine.
New guide rod around two thousand. Still going with no issues. How about you?
>>
>>34425566
https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-rebate-v2 Rejoice!
>>
>>34427415
I don't honestly believe that a Taurus owner can afford 3000 rounds of anything.
>>
>>34423036
They're not terrible, one of the better Taurus guns. But has a stigma of being a taurus.

Shop around, I was just at a pawn shop that was selling a .40 XD for $240.
>>
>>34423036
From what I have seen and heard about the pt111 G2 it works well, until it doesn't. It isn't made out of pot metal and the design is good. but all the small internal parts have a higher chance of failing than something comparable of higher quality. It might be something like a spring coming loose, trigger safety blade might snap, the double action has been known to stop working completely. It won't blow up in your face or malfunction but you might have to send it back to taurus for a couple months eventually.
>>
File: Sar Arms B6P.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Sar Arms B6P.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>34423036
You can get one of these for about $270. Everyone give them great reviews and I really like mine.
>>
>>34430643
9 out of 10 Russians agree, SAR pistols are great.
>>
>>34424802
>12 rounds is bad.

it's a compact, at least a hair smaller than a G19, and no one complains that glocks carry too MUCH ammo.

It is marginally wider than the pt709, which carries 7 rounds.
>>
>>34423036
They're pretty solid. Accurate, good ergos, recoil is pretty tame. The trigger has an eternal takeup but once you get used to it, it has a decent break and reset that you can learn to shoot well. I actually really like mine. They're a great option especially if you want a bunch of cheap beater guns/truck guns/bugout bag guns.

I got mine for $180 so I won't be too butthurt if something happens. I wouldn't recommend it as a starter gun, though. You wanna make sure your first handgun is something full-size with a super solid reputation. Taurus is known to be spotty, and I wouldn't learn to shoot on a compact pistol anyways.
>>
>>34423036
drink bush instead of budweiser for a month and put those extra neetbux towards getting a handgun that isn't garbage
>glock brand glock
>beretta 92
>springfield XDDDDDDDDDDD
>H&K VP9

this is a purchase you may use to save your life but at the very least will own for a long time, the gun is the cheapest part of owning a gun.
>>
>>34425455
>Don't listen to all the faggots on here who don't own one
I do and its a shit weapon.
I got one brand new and the disconnector broke after 5 rounds.
The striker spring shat itself after another 200 rounds.
I also get a failure to extract on every single round unless I feed it expensive ammo, and even then it only brings the failures down to 2 or 3 per mag.
already sent that trash back to taurus to get fixed and it took months to get it back only for it to break again immediately.
>>
>>34423036

I own two of them and have put close about 800 rounds thru each.... they are accurate and have had no misfires or malfunctions
>>
>>34423036
Mine was fantastic, with a trigger that was shockingly good for what it was.

No reliability problems out of the box using high grain hornady.

That's about all I can tell you, OP, I didn't have it very long. Sold it for like 100 profit. Kinda want to go buy a new one, but I'd rather save up for a G29.
>>
>>34424802
Concealed carry guns aren't usually fullsize they're more compact. Concealed carry guns usually don't usually carry the same number of rounds as a fullsize because they're usually more compact.

Themoreyouknow.jpg
>>
>>34423036
I'd typically stay away from any Taurus that isn't one of their "Raging" series revolvers.
>>
>>34432429
Wrong answer... Try again!
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.