[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of slingshot bans in some countries? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

File: 02.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
What's the point of slingshot bans in some countries? I can understand, even if not agree, banning heavy air rifles or crossbows since they are real weapons and are sometimes actually used in criminal violence and poaching.
But slingshots? It's made for shooting squirrels or hares at best and probably worst crime you could commit with it is breaking your neighbor's car window.
Has there ever been a single homicide committed with one?
>>
File: gangsta.jpg (34KB, 300x353px) Image search: [Google]
gangsta.jpg
34KB, 300x353px
why you hatin on ma boi, dennis
>>
I've seen a guy take white tail with a small cannonball shot from a slingshot, so yeah they can probably kill someone.
>>
>>34416847
Even if it is theoretically possible to kill somebody with a right slingshot with right ammo, how serious of a threat is it, for real?
If somebody has physical and mental capabilities to do so, he could do the same just as well if not better with a fist-sized rock.
>>
>>34416893
You can shoot buck shot with a slingshot faster than you can hurl a rock. The point is that you can kill pretty effectively with one--just ask David.
>>
You don't need a slingshot, they should be banned
>>
>>34417068
No man David used a Sling, its basically the same rope and basket except bigger, you swing a big heavy rock in it and let go of one end, he took out Goliath with a fast 4 pound rock probably kek
>>
>>34416752
i don't know of any crazy murderhobo slingshot killings, but i suspect some riot police got fucked up with them and complained.
>>
>>34417068
>not knowing the difference between a slingshot and a sling.

After you finally figure out the difference, go look up what an atlatl is so you can shove one up your ass
>>
>>34416752
I used to play around with slingshots a while back and a proper one can fuck you up for sure. I've used slingshots with 35-40lbs draw weight, which with proper ammo is about as lethal as a hunting bow, atleast when it comes to small and medium game, but you can still kill somebody if you wanted to, you just aim for vitals and soft tissue. I'd understand slingshots being illegal if bows and crossbows are aswell, otherwise it'd be a pretty retarded law, or maybe it's the dimensions, you can conceal a slingshot pretty easily compared to a bow and since it can be made without metal you can sneak it in anywhere.
>>
>>34416752
Well I don't know about other countries but slingshots are banned in NYC because of the ordinance banning slungshot, and everyone just assumed a slungshot is a slingshot rather than a hunk of lead shot tied on the end of a rope and used as a bludegon, and went along with it.
>>
File: no-helmet-no-run.jpg (130KB, 634x1008px) Image search: [Google]
no-helmet-no-run.jpg
130KB, 634x1008px
>>34416752
Those are extremely dangerous, they need to be banned before someone gets hurt.
>>
>>34417464
wow.
>>
>>34416752
Literally just a typo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slungshot
>>
>>34417464
For niggers that live where almost everything will kill them, Aussies sure are pussies.
>>
>>34417464
>Helmets for jogging
Fucking stupid
>log your jog
Actually not a bad idea as long as its optional
>>
File: IlsNNxW.jpg (190KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IlsNNxW.jpg
190KB, 800x1200px
>>34416752
They are banned because police don't want them in riots.
/thread
>>
>>34417464

fuck off that's not real

no way
>>
>>34417464
Where in the...
>.au
of course.
>>
>>34417471
I hope you're wearing your safety helmet, anon, you wouldn't want to get hurt walking around.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASLW2j2cesA

It'd be quite the pistol to put a 20mm projectile a foot and a half into a gel block even at point blank.
>>
>>34417491
Yeah, it's a hoax, though not a photoshop. Someone made a fake sign and put it up.
>>
File: Australian_Coat_of_Arms(1).png (640KB, 788x608px) Image search: [Google]
Australian_Coat_of_Arms(1).png
640KB, 788x608px
>>34417612
> This is the nanny police state goose stepping too far off-beat. Pull ur (sic) head in,' one commenter wrote.
> 'The government website doesn't work so it could be real,' another said.
> Others welcomed the move with open arms, suggesting the council should take the crackdown one step further. 'License would be a good idea - need to weed out the irresponsible joggers who ruin it for everyone else.'
>>
File: IMG_5191.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5191.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I hunt bears with my sling shot. I see a lot of bear sign when out but they are sneaky.
>>
File: Sling_King.jpg (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sling_King.jpg
180KB, 1920x1080px
>>34416752
>>
I was heavuly into slingshot shooting a few years back after seeing some of Sprave's videos. O one forum I joined there was an older guy who explained that the slingshot ban may just be a stupid fuck up and that it originally wasn't slingshots that were banned but "slung shots" - that is a lead weight or some very large steel nut attached to some thick string, to be used as a defensive or offensive weapon in barroom brawls on Saturday nights.
>>
>>34417487
>the population of your country literally can't riot

how does it feel to be a slave at the mercy of your government?
>>
>>34416752
What the fuck do you mean you can see banning air rifles and crossbows? Are you a fucking communist? If so kill yourself or I will have to when the day of the rope comes, asshole!
>>
>>34417744
Americans can't riot either unless they're black.
>>
>>34416752
Incendiaries turn slinghshots into something all the more dangerous.
>>
File: IMG_5289.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5289.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I also have a truck slingshot.
>>
File: tpb-9-4.jpg (167KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
tpb-9-4.jpg
167KB, 600x338px
>>34416752

Because people like this. That's why.
>>
>>34418507
and gasoline turns glass bottles into something all the more the dangerous. What's your point anon?
>>
>>34416893
>how serious of a threat is it, for real?
Im just thinking of bongs banning cutting utensils and prohibiting sale of butter knives.
>>
>>34419132
The brits make special "anti-stab" knives. Shit you not anon.
>>
>>34416752
They're banned not because of poaching or person-on-person violence but because shitty people were using them to vandalize buildings.

Even a small rock through a wrist rocket will knock out a window at any range the person can hit the window at.

Same reason municipalities have banned paintball and airsoft guns. They pose little risk to people but their use causes hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage every year either through criminal malfeasance or simple negligence.
>>
>>34417165
That's the origin of Germany's ban on slingshots with wrist braces, exactly.
>>
>>34416893
>>34416752
because it's a silent and a powerful weapon. a 3/8" 53 grain steel ball traveling at 250 fps would have 7/5 flb of energy. a custom slingshot can produce 75 flbs - that's enough to kill.
>>
File: fishing-bait-catapult.jpg (169KB, 645x657px) Image search: [Google]
fishing-bait-catapult.jpg
169KB, 645x657px
>>34416752
>What's the point of slingshot bans in some countries?

moronic legislation by people unit or responsibility who's basic culture is scheming in offices to the lowest common denominator of idiocy

pic related fishing bait slingshot

Is it just a test to see how much they can get away with? Riots? Ban petrol, ban pitchforks. Governments terrified of the people they control....
>>
>>34420448
That's one hell of a custom slingshot that can get it flying that hard though, innit? If I recall, multi-layer theraband hunting rigs that can deliver a projectile with 27-30 flbs are among the heaviest anyone uses. If you want to top that, you're pretty much going to have to as far as Joerg Sprave did, building that specially designed W-monstrosity with the theraband silver tubes. And that thing only got to real skull-cracking velocity with a full butterfly-draw, and it was a visible struggle for Sprave, who is not an insubstantially built man, to pull it back that far.

For practical purposes I think man-lethal slingshots are a meme.
>>
>>34416752
David killed goliath with a sling.

Governments are always worried about the underdog rising up.

It's mostly symbolic.
>>
File: muRiDwe75j46DmR2PaYHNGA.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
muRiDwe75j46DmR2PaYHNGA.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Jameson Sling Shot Throw Line Launcher

BANNED IN AUSTRALIA AS 'DANGEROUS ITEM'
>>
Fat stupid little men in austalian customs pretending they are protecting something other than their salary?

Fishing Slingshot

Did you know the kbar knife is explicitly banned in Australia ?
>>
File: thisthing.png (1MB, 1356x468px) Image search: [Google]
thisthing.png
1MB, 1356x468px
>>34420630
Yeah, 'straya's pretty cucked alright.

So hey, does anybody know if there's specific name for these board-cut, handle-less, 'have to use them in a pinch grip' slingshots that seem so popular in Pakistani riots? I've never seen the pattern occur anywhere else, but I've yet to see them given a particular name.
>>
homosexuals mostly
>>
>>34420584
Different sling, not a slingshot. The sling David used was apparently able to lob big, heavy projectiles some 200 yards and severely injure or kill people through armor by concussive force. They are very hard to use though.
>>
>>34420630
To be fair, any frame that relies on the ball-in-tube attachment deserves to be banned. Literally the worst, least reliable attachment method, that has nothing at all going for it except that people think the ebay specials that use it look cool.
>>
>>34417612
>Yeah, it's a hoax, though not a photoshop. Someone made a fake sign and put it up.
That's awesome.

I'm a shitposter and I honestly wasn't sure whether it was a hoax or not. The best satire is an inch over the line of what is likely and this qualifies.
>>
>>34420630
>Did you know the kbar knife is explicitly banned in Australia ?
Its not though. I have 2 of them and they sell them in every fishing/hunting/camping store. Repros and legit ones.

Though if I didn't know any better I'd probably believe you. This country bans all sorts of retarded shit.
>>
>>34416752
The fucking RAF and rioting commie students in the 60s and 70s.
>>
>>34420745
Im just trying to understand the benefits of such a design i suppose other than being able to fit it into your pocket?
>>
>>34416893
>If somebody has physical and mental capabilities to do so, he could do the same just as well if not better with a fist-sized rock.

This applies to guns as well, people are fragile and easy to kill. Banning the tools people use to kill others is pointless when you can grab a rock from the ground and smash a persons skull in.
Better to focus on mental health and give people what they need to defend themselves.

Also yeah, sling shots can be leathal with heavy ammo and a headshot, not an easy shot to make though
>>
>>34417484
nah its just our shitcunt pollies and overprotective mums
>>
>>34416752
animal molesting
>>
>>34417464
GOD DAMNIT GET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING COUNTRY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>34416752
they literally confiscate pointy sticks
>>
>>34417744
>property damage and assault are illegal in your country.
Oh no, whatever shall I do.
>>
>>34422816
>>Did you know the kbar knife is explicitly banned in Australia ?Its not though. I have 2 of them and they sell them in every fishing/hunting/camping store. Repros and legit ones. Though if I didn't know any better I'd probably believe you. This country bans all sorts of retarded shit.

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/firearms-and-weapons/weapons

"Prohibited weapons

Prohibited weapons are a risk to public safety. You cannot possess a prohibited weapon without an exemption.

Exemptions are issued for specific purposes only and conditions apply for each weapon.

Prohibited weapons include:

Knives
•ballistic knife where the blade is fired by explosion, mechanics or percussion
•butterfly knife / Bali knife / Balisong knife
•handheld fighting knives including flick knives, trench knives, push knives, Ka-Bars, United States Marine Corps knife
•knife belt that conceals or disguises the knife
•star knife / shuriken / ninja star / throwing star
•whole or part of a knife that cannot be detected by a metal detector or x-ray.

Daggers
•double-sided blade or spike-style blade daggers
•traditional Scottish daggers - Dirk and Sgian dhu.

Other weapons
•nunchakus martial arts weapon
•bayonet
•brace catapult / slingshot
•concealed weapons
•extendable baton
•full-size or pistol cross-bow
•hand or foot claws / ninja claws
•knuckle duster including weighted or studded gloves
•laser pointer of more than 1 milliwatt
•morning star, also known as English or medieval mace
•poniard, a Masonic ceremonial weapon
•tear gas where the chemical is CN, CS or DM tear gas.
"
>>
>>34423073
Dirt cheap, easy construction, multiple forks out of one board. Riots are really the only context I've ever seen them used in, I imagine the primary goal is getting enough frames turned out quickly for you and some of your friends to cause some chaos.

If they do use them for anything else, ie poaching small game, I imagine their pocket size is another benefit. That's one of the main benefits of the Chinese dangong style of frames Dankung sells. I've had some correspondence with the guy who runs that site, he confirmed that their bent-rod, pocket-friendly design was primarily for cheap fabrication and ease of inconspicuous everyday carry, not aesthetics or stellar performance. I imagine the Pakistani slingshot evolved through a similar process, just with wood instead of metal.
>>
>>34423860
>>property damage and assault are illegal in your country.Oh no, whatever shall I do.

Browse this board and look at all the things you can't own or do literally because the people who rule you (who seem borderline retarded) don't trust you and think you are their property, a serf that they own an distrust
>>
>>34416752
Nanny state mentality.

Being a guy from such a country I totally understand why they would ban them.

The first reaction of brainwashed people in countries like mine whenever something bad happens with some sort of item that is not really necessary for living it's always "BAN IT!!".

They already are in the process of banning airsoft because "URR DFURR SIMULATED WAR" and want to ban hunting all together. They also been trying to ban drones because of some supposed "incidents" with them.

These people are fucking morons. If a guy shoots someone with a slingshot and injures them, there's immediately a public outcry by morons saying that someone should ban slingshots.

The main reasoning for banning any slightly dangerous item is always the same: "we can't trust people". Meanwhile criminals are robbing places with fucking machine guns.
>>
>>34420630
>Did you know the kbar knife is explicitly banned in Australia
i lived in Canada for a shot amount of time and i got myself a kbar and brought it through customs no problem, they didnt even look at the knife and they only asked if it was double edged
>>
>>34424027
ah okay. sorry about late response but im really grateful for your elaboration
>>
>>34417486
So it's a good idea for the state to know where you will jog before you leave your home? Its not a tracker they "advertise"
>>
>>34417487
>implying rioters give a fuck about whats banned
>>
>>34422268
Australia at least is good for quality shitposting.
>>
>>34424201
S'okay, I'm only speculating anyway. Slingshots have the worst pool of historians on the planet. Nobody has ever tried to make a history or comprehensive typology of their designs. Other niche subjects, like tabletop rpgs,old pulp fiction novels, or individual specific brands of junk food, have some serious academic and amateur research published for them. But bean-shooters and wrist rockets just have this void around them. No one documented anything.
>>
File: dat shirt.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dat shirt.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>>34416752

Wrong reasoning.

Any object can become a murder weapon, the very crime statistics produced by the governments of the world show this very clearly. Slingshots, air guns and even legal firearms of all calibers and operation types are not among them.

It is not the weapon/object that one has to be concerned about. Any violent act that violates other people's rights is a crime and thus illegal. This talk about banning "x" because it can be used for a crime is subversive propaganda and distracts from the actual issue.

The real issue of violent crime is not the general possession or sale of items such as weapons or sport equipment. It is the human himself, the factors that actually make him drop his inhibition to cause harm to another sentient being, the motivator to commit violence and crime against his fellow human being. WHY does the murderer murder? What motivates him? How did he become what he is? What went wrong? What social environment shaped such a human? Was there drug abuse? Why did no one intervene on the often long process of creating such a perpetrator?

Asking where he got the sling shot to kill someone is the absolute most useless question one could ask. The same goes for terrorists and wanting to ban legal guns because people who don't shy away from murder and other violent crime get their hands on illegal weaponry.
>>
>>34424415
It's so they can charge them with a crime if they catch them, fucking idiot.
>>
>>34425125

So you make up charges as you go because you can't sue people for crimes they actually commit? Oh right, I remember. That's the reason the US has the full auto and sbr ban, because police was incapable of catching criminals and so they were charged with possessing weapons like the Thompson and processed for that instead. Nice strategy!
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.