[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20 year old with absolutely zero knowledge of guns. Walking into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

20 year old with absolutely zero knowledge of guns. Walking into a PA shop today to get a shotgun or something just for the apartment

Will I get angry looks for not knowing shit? Is this a bad idea? I just hate being in America and not having a gun but too impatient to lurk
>>
>>34406528
Jesus christ its not that hard.

Act like a normal person and not autistic and you'll be fine.
>>
>>34406528
Just do it.

>Will I get angry looks for not knowing shit?
Customer service in gun shops is a mixed bag. Some places I've been to have absolute bros who are helpful and knowledgeable while others are staffed by absolute cunts (pretty rare). If you don't feel comfortable or you feel like the staff is needlessly acting condescending or dickish, just 360 out of that motherfucka and walk away.
>>
So you have zero idea what youre looking for.

I would in your positiion let tgem know upfront you have money but no idea what youre looking for. They arent car salesmen they wont try to over charge you too much but dont pay more than 400 for a pump or break action shotgun. Above would be ok for a semi auto. If you dont understand the different actions, google is your friend.
>>
>>34406528
Get an AR you mong, they're like $400 this weekend
Order on online and have it sent to closest gun shop that doesnt charge over $20 for a transfer
>>
>>34406557
If youre in the philly area dont go to tanners or target world theyre all useless pricks
>>
>>34406528
depends on the gun shop, from experience I found older gun shop owners to be more patient towards noobs. Depends the volume of customers at the store too, if its always crowded theyll likely try to get you out of there quickly. my LGS has low volume of customers, so I can finger fuck all the guns I want and shoot the shit with the owners for hours. for your first shotgun, go for a mossy 500 or remington 870.
>>
>>34406565
Ahh yes, I took it for granted that OP probably doesn't know about AR prices. There's a glut in the market and AR's are extremely cheap right now. Rifles that costed $800-$1000 back in 2013 are now selling for half that. For the price of a pump action shotgun, you could easily get a DPMS or Del-Ton or something.
>>
>>34406528
They will just shill you into buying their lowest selling shit products. Ask them to recommend you a pistol, guarantee it will be a Smith and Wesson M&P of some kind.
>>
What county are you in? I can recommend a few in Lancaster county but I don't really know anywhere outside of here besides Bass Pro or Cabela's
>>
>>34406528
Walk into the store, and tell them you're ignorant about guns, but looking to get into it, and buy a gun for home defense. Don't have any pretensions, and odds are, they'll be more than happy to help you out. If you let them know that you're going to be a customer, and not just browsing, they'll be more apt to work with you
>>
>>34406552
I'm not that autistic so I should be fine, I'm just gonna tell the dude straight up I don't know anything but want a gun in the house

>>34406555
I'm in Chester county which is usually a bunch of oldheads. Probably won't be any bros

>>34406557>>34406565
good looks! I'll try to order online if so even though I would've liked to use it today

>>34406591
don't think I can get a pistol at 20 in PA without it gifted

>>34406600
chester
>>
>>34406607
never say youre ignorant about guns, just say youre looking for something new theyll most likely pull this off on you>>34406591
>>
>>34406591
Reminds me of the first time I walked into a gun store. I was kind of interested in the Sig 2022 but the salesman was REALLY trying to push a Springfield XD on me. That and an M&P Shield.
>>
know what you want before entering the store, dont be afraid to ask questions.
don't get jew'd into buying shit you dont need.
>>
>>34406626
Just ask for a fucking shotgun with a good capacity. " I don't know anything " means, " hi, I'm a fucking mark ".
Home defense = shotgun. Turns everything in to hamburger meat.
>>
>>34406528
no, just act like a normal human being. shouldnt be hard
ask questions. say exactly what its for and that you dont want a lot of dry wall work after any incident
>>
File: IMG_0940.jpg (37KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0940.jpg
37KB, 363x475px
This seems like the kind of thread I'm looking for. I know very little about guns besides standard issue army shit. Looking to buy a shotgun for home defense and already decided on a Mossberg 500, but not sure if the recoil of a 12 gauge will be too much for me. Should I go 20 gauge instead?
>>
>>34407610
Are you a grown man? If so, you can handle a 12 gauge.
>>
>>34407616
I am 5"6 so not really :^)
>>
>>34406528
They'll love you for not knowing shit. Not only will they get to scalp you $100 but also talk your ear off while they do it.
>>
>>34407610

Anyone can handle 12 gauge if they need to.

If you're concerned that you might be too much of a pussy for it you can always rent guns at a range.
>>
>>34406586
Not OP but what's the difference between all the basic ARs and is there any real difference in quality at that ~500 price range?
I was thinking one of those armalite basic ARs but some of the /arg/ folks recommended an Aero mid-length.
>>
>>34407741

At the bottom end there's "Hybrid" lowers that are made out of plastic. That doesn't mean that they're automatically shit, but it's a pretty good indicator.
>>
>>34407770
I'll keep that in mind then, thanks. Do things like barrel twist and gas length matter much for a first AR or do those only start mattering later?
The aero I mentioned before is 550 without a rear sight or mag, and I'm wondering if its features are worth that extra 50-150
>>
>>34407970

Not really. Barrel twist determines how well it'll stabilize different bullet weights, but if you're not a good shot anyway it probably won't matter.

Gas length dictates how hard the BCG is gonna get slammed back, but in real terms that's not going to make a huge difference day-to-day either. Longer ones will be softer shooting though.

It largely comes down to whether or not you want to make sure you get the "right" rifle now, or later. Personally I'd probably try to get the "right" one now even if it takes longer and costs more, because the market is so saturated that you're unlikely to get much money for your AR if you put it up for sale.

I'm not familiar with Aero.
>>
>>34407970
Aero has a fucking great barrel on it, receiver has a couple nice touches like a tension screw and a beveled mag well. Good rifle, worth it, especially if you only plan on buying one AR
>>
>>34406565
>Hey guys, I'm looking at possibly getting a shotgun
>JUST GET AN AR, YOU DONT NEED NOTHING OTHER THAN AN AR
Jesus fuck, believe me, I love ARs but holy fuck. I've got a pretty good feeling that they aren't going up in price any time soon.
>>
I've had people who were impatient and cross armed servicing me and I've had bros who basically made me finger bang every single pistol in the store.
>>
>>34407610
just get lighter recoiling ammo, when i got my first shotgun i got a $150 mec jr mk5 reloading press with it so i could make ammo the exact payload/fps/recoil i wanted, shoot 2.5" 7/8oz ammo that recoils like a 20ga or 3.5" magnums that mimic 10ga loads. also cuts the price per round in half. or you can just buy lighter recoiling ammo for a slight markup.

for HD the primary issue for you will be OAL/BBL length, shotgun actions are long and 18" barrels on top of that. you should really have a pistol for home defense in addition if not rather than, so you can open doors and keep a firearm in retention to fight a grapple/tackle rush from.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.