[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why unit numbers in the military aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Can someone explain to me why unit numbers in the military aren't in order and consecutive?

For example, US Army has 10th Mountain Divison. Where is 1st-9th Mountain Divison? And don't say deactivated, there never was a 7th Mountain Divison. Why skip to 10?

Another example, you have 101st Airborne, but no 100th or 102nd?
>>
Are you 12 years old?
>>
>>34400373
this question would be better answered with google or perhaps ask reddit
>>
>>34400373
Maintaining history. Divisions and lower echelon units get disbanded during peacetime, but throughout its history the U.S. has had ~100 distinct divisions in federal service. Those that stick around keep their designation and aren't re-numbered.
>>
>>34400373

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_formations_of_the_United_States_Army
>>
To confuse the enemy.
>>
>>34400373
because the US military used to hold secret secret super-dee-duper secret deathmatches, pitting one division against the others.

All of the ones you on't hear about are the ones who got fukt by divisions like the 82nd, 10th Mountain, 101st, etc.
>>
>>34400373
Because it's the 10th division of infantry.

Not that it really makes sense: the Army plays fast and loose with their numbering schemes. They're worse than the Brits and that's saying something.
>>
>>34401582
>Because it's the 10th division of infantry
>division of infantry

It is a light infantry division, but nigga, it's the 10th mountain division. 10th infantry division was something else.
>>
>>34401614
The 10th Infantry became the Panama Canal Division. 10th Mountain was originally 10th Light Division (Alpine).

As I said, the Army doesn't really make any sense. The only sort of consistency is between the infantry, armor, and cavalry branches. That's why you'll never see a 10th Airborne or 10th Infantry (again), but there was a 10th Armored. In fact each of the three has had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Divisions, though the 2nd and 3rd Cavalry never saw action.
>>
>>34400373
>tfw i am 25 and want to be 19d just to be a dragoo. But may not even dragoon if i wanted to be
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.