[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Y wing really needed in the rebel fleet /k/? It seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_9177.jpg (98KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9177.jpg
98KB, 768x432px
Was the Y wing really needed in the rebel fleet /k/? It seems like it would be easier and cheaper to just modify certain X wings in their fleet to accomidate for Photon torpedoes? They would also be useless again tie fighters with stronger guns since a majority of Y wings have little to no armour because the rebels have modified them so heavily
>>
nerd
>>
>>34397627
they were older than the X-wings
Alliance were poorfags so they couldn't retire them
>>
Y wings were faster than x wings.
>>
>>34397627
It fits the role of a heavy fighter. It is far more maneuverable than a bomber, but can still carry a torpedo payload.
>>
>>34397627
worst science-fiction universe
>>
>>34397627
what you youngsters don't get is it was all they had, they were just bantha farmers scraping by with old monkey model republic fighter bombers, trying to take on basically the entire corrupt republic turned peaceful empire, the rebels were basically the new CIS albeit worse equipped.
>>
>>34397627

I remember reading somewhere that the rebels loved the Y wing because of the ion cannon it had. Most ships with an ion cannon were somewhat larger. There was something about ion cannons needing some odd type of power source that most fighters weren't equipped to handle. With the ion cannon you can disable a ship rather than simply blow it up. To the rebels this is invaluable. The ion cannon on a fighter sized ship basically enables you to better seize supplies and ships from the enemy quickly and easily. So despite it being slow it was really invaluable to the guerrilla type war the rebels were fighting.
>>
File: summer.png (211KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
summer.png
211KB, 420x420px
>>34397627
>They would also be useless again tie fighters with stronger guns since a majority of Y wings have little to no armour because the rebels have modified them so heavily

But that's wrong, you idiot.

Most of the Y-Wings the Rebels used were the S3 variant which had both a higher armor rating than the X-Wing (40 RU vs 20 RU) and a higher shield rating (75 SBD vs 50 SBD). Your dumbass is thinking of the A4 variant which the one-man version that had reduced shields, but the armor rating was the same. Regardless, the Rebels never really used the A4.

Also, you are completely undermining the role of a bomber and the role of the fighter. You're basically asking why the US didn't just strap a bigger Fat Man to a P-51.
>>
The rebels used the Y-wings because:

1) They got them for free out of a scrapyard at a time when they needed literally any firepower they could get their hands on.
2) They don't really do the same thing as X-wings. X-wings are fighters; Y-wings are light bombers. An (imperfect, but close) analogy might be the X-wings as F-16s and the Y-wings as A-10s.
3) The rebels didn't have any X-wings at the time they acquired the Y-wings. They had some A-wings and that was about it. They didn't actually get X-wings into their inventory until less than a year before the Battle of Scarif.
>>
>>34397791
This. It's so fucking lazy.
>>
File: imperial22.jpg (623KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
imperial22.jpg
623KB, 1366x768px
>>34397744
This much is only sorta true. They had Alderaan's support, meaning they had money. Alderaan was not poor - the poor understand the value of conflict, after all. Having the support of the Core Worlds is no small thing financially.

>>34397752
Objectively wrong.
> BLT Y-Wing top speed: 80 MLGT
> T-65B X-Wing top speed: 100 MLGT
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65B_X-wing_starfighter/Legends

>>34397759
A role that was unneeded during the time the rebellion florished, and a role the Y-Wing did not fulfill. They're fighter-bombers.

>>34397811
If you mean the rebels were semi-well-funded terrorists and a threat to the peace of the galaxy, yes.

>>34397827
This is accurate, yes.

>>34397877
>this

>>34397881
>X-Wings are F16s and Y-Wings are A-10s
Yeah, close enough.

>>34397886
The EU isn't quite as lazy but I get where you're coming from here senpai

Also, the Empire did virtually nothing wrong, rebels were terrorists, Empire were the good guys!
>>
>>34397627
>why do we need dedicated bombers when fighters can just carry bombs

You could work at the pentagon!
>>
>>34397827
The ion cannons were hard to maintain was the issue, so a lot of times they weren't functional for the rebels.
>>
>>34397791
it's not science fiction. it's an opera in space
>>
>>34397930
I'm >>34397886

Now that I have a second I can expand on this. SW is lazy as fuck even on details that don't need to be lazy. Take the names of the ships.

A Wing, X Wing, Y Wing, B Wing. The shit is just stupid. Star Destroyer, Super Star Destroyer, Mega Star Destroyer.

Make it a "Titan Class Destroyer" or something. Muh Death Star, Muh Star Killer, Star this, Star that. George Lucas had a good premise that he shit all over, wiped up, and then shit on again. The first filming of SW had to had the camera men's sighs cut out because they thought it was so fucking stupid.

Also, the inconsistencies just because Lucas wanted two things to interact are annoying. I know it's for fucking kids but damn man the plot holes are so big a "Super Star Destroyer" could drive through them.

I could go on and on but no one cares. The villains main weapon was a ball. Fucking lazy.
>>
>>34397930
The production notes of RotJ list X-Wings and Y-Wings as having the same speed.

And for a better comparison point, Y-Wings are F-4s while X-Wings are F-16s.

And the Empire did plenty of shit wrong. The most blatant example being Tarkin, whose only real skills were sucking Palpatine's cock and blaming others for his fuckups.
>>
>>34398292
>I could go on and on but no one cares
sure we do. lay it on us
>>
>>34398292
Real world weapons are almost entirely tubes.
>>
>>34398318
Yes, but almost everything Tarkin did was out of his jurisdiction.
>>
>>34398318
Note, for example, that they used inappropriate equipment for the terrain all the time. Walkers - in a redwood forest? Seriously? No wonder midget teddy bears whooped their asses. The only Imperial commander we ever saw use walkers right was Vader, on Hoth. I'm convinced that he and Thrawn were the only ones of the whole lot who actually knew what the hell they were doing.
>>
File: untitled.png (76KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
76KB, 225x225px
>>34398292
Angst over kids movie (I saw star wars when I was seven and sat in the back of a car driving home in the dark pretending it was a trench on the death star). Fucking nerds.
>>
the y wings were the bombers in Empire at War
>>
File: 55f54941eb8f2__flash-gordon.jpg (122KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
55f54941eb8f2__flash-gordon.jpg
122KB, 960x720px
>>34398292
Star Wars, at its core is just a rehash of earlier space operas like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon and used ancient as fuck tropes and plot lines from better movies. It was never meant to be serious science-fiction; it's basically fantasy in space.

That Star Wars even became a hit at all is testament his (now ex-)wife Marcia, who managed to distill his childish ideas into a coherent script and the raw footage into a masterpiece of cinema. It cannot be stated enough how utterly garbage Star Wars was during production.

>>34397627
There isn't a simple answer because the canon has had to be rewritten several times in an expanded universe that isn't always consistent within it's own canon. The earliest answer was because they were poor as fuck.
>>
>>34397791
I consider it science fantasy. It's a blend of the two
>>
>>34397752
>Y wings were faster than x wings.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.