[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, i want to learn about radios and comms, everything about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1498700833395.jpg (1MB, 2832x2128px) Image search: [Google]
1498700833395.jpg
1MB, 2832x2128px
/k/, i want to learn about radios and comms, everything about them, from how to use a PRR to how to use a ham radio etc etc

basically radios from A to Z

can /k/ redirect me to any online resources? PDFs, documents videos etc
>>
>>34394948
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio
you're welcome
>>
another shameless self bump
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCarlsonsLab
>>
bump for interest, all I have is my lonely baofeng and wouldlike to learn more about it's use
>>
File: Picture24 039.jpg (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Picture24 039.jpg
144KB, 640x480px
What is your city and state Anon, I bet I can find you a HAM radio club in your area that you can join/get info from.
>>
>>34394948
Get licensed to use a radio. Even if the community is pretty cancer, the licensing process will educate you.

KC3(don't dox) here. I don't use my radio for standard HAM stuff, but I know I have it and know how to use it and how the community operates in an emergency.
>>
>>34397781
>standard HAM stuff

what's that?
>>
>>34397841
(Callsign1) To (Callsign2)
(Callsign2) here
What's up, Billy Bob?
Just got back from the hospital, hemroids are in full force
Ah, that's a rough time.
How's the weather over there (Callsign1)
Same as you, we are neighbors

It is all bullshit and they will all look down on any younger individuals trying to get into it. But they are grateful that you will carry the hobby on. The HAM community will report your ass like it's nothing, so watch what you say and never try shit without a license. Those fines are stupidly huge.
>>
>>34397883
oh literally talking to eachother

Im not OP im the baofeng guy, but do HAM community dudes have reading materials?
>>
>>34398030
Pretty sure. Almost every region has enough HAMs for field days and such, if you can't get a guy to help over the radio.
>>
>>34397883
how would they even find out if you don't have a license?
>>
>>34398102
You need a callsign. Your callsign is linked to your name, address, and some other info about your license.

If you go on impersonating someone, you would need to be in the same region as them to avoid suspicion, and if you are in the same region as them, they tend to know just about everyone. Also goes into how you carry yourself, a licensed operator knows protocol and such and is practiced under the supervision of another HAM. They just know, you can tell when someone isn't licensed. You are only allowed to use it when you are supervised by someone that is licensed.

That is why I didn't post my entire callsign, and that bit of conversation was nearly verbatim of something I've heard before.
>>
>>34397883

Just curious, where do you live that you enjoy being a ham? Maybe its our area but I'm not very interested in getting licensed, because hearing about it nowadays from my father it seems like a pain. He gets to keep in touch with some old buddies, but at the same time gets constantly riled up by unlicensed jammers. One of those guys actually made it into the NY Times last year after he was arrested for calling in a man down to NYPD, then hanging around at the scene holding his radio.
>>
hamstudy.org
>>
>>34398182
I'm in the 3 region, PA and the Delmarva peninsula. It's country enough that it is an effective means of communication where cell signals don't exist, but there are enough people to give a proper community for field days and meetups.

Jammers are the reason everyone is ready to get on and kill anyone without a license. To them there is no difference between them and someone trying to join the community
>>
>>34398182
>>34398257
>jamming
how? by constantly broadcasting?
>>
>>34398355
Fucking it up with stupidity is what I would assume. But possibly more malicious if NYPD got involved.
>>
http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/comms/the-ultimate-guide-to-learning-about-radio-communication-and-why-you-should/
>>
>>34398257

Yeah there's just so many of them here it seems. Dad was lucky enough to set up a new repeater in about as good a location you could hope for in the NYC area, on a midtown high rise, but the first person to key up on it was that guy I mentioned earlier who is now behind bars. I think he turned it off soon after and hasn't re-activated it.

>>34398355

Yeah it can be that simple. This one guy I heard often would just ramble and curse. He was about 50 and living with his mother when he was arrested for the NYPD fake call, and I think in the past he also used the radio to say directly to an officer that he was going to shoot them. He was an issue for years but I guess that's what it took to get him fined and his radios taken away.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.