[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else have PTSD from shooting? >Always loved shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: 1486329845598m.jpg (159KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486329845598m.jpg
159KB, 768x1024px
Anyone else have PTSD from shooting?

>Always loved shooting
>Went through a police academy
>They would stress test us while we shot, yell at us drill sergeant style and smack us in the back of the head if we missed or had bad form
>Forced us to shoot without ear protection because "it's more consistent with a real world scenario" while they shot rifles next to us "simulating the sound of return fire"
>Also had to do other stressful shit before or after shooting too like push-ups and sit-ups on the side of a busy city street while they yelled at us, sprint up rocky hills that not even a mountain goat would choose to go up (have chronic foot pain a year later) so I probably associate that with shooting too
>Went to the range a months after graduating
>Drew my gun and started shaking and breathing hard
>I was really hot and sweating (range is normally cold)
>People were looking at me like wtf is wrong with him
>Shot 3 mags and left because I couldn't take it, it was like an anxiety attack

Here's a comfy pic. My psychologist says I need to think about relaxing things to make the stress go away. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really enjoyed shooting as a hobby and now it seems like it's been ruined for me...
>>
what the fuck
>>
in the off chance this isn't a troll thread (if you're serious, don't call it "PTSD")....

double up on earpro, listen to calm music on the way there and make sure you're in a good, relaxed mood before you go. don't force yourself to be there if it's not comfy.
>>
>>34383438
I have to shoot though to maintain my skills and I have an annual qualification coming up too where I'll have to shoot a good score or I won't be able to maintain my LEO certification. I'm afraid when I go to that I'll have a panic attack and the range staff will notice and say I'm not fit to work in LE.
>>
File: big dick gun.jpg (44KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
big dick gun.jpg
44KB, 500x352px
>>34383409
The history behind that lion is something really interesting. Here's a quick read:
https://www.gletschergarten.ch/garten/loewendenkmal/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Monument
(English)

As for your shooting issue, it sounds like you're stressed from the pressure of performance. Don't shoot because you're supposed to be under attack. Shoot because you want to get that great accuracy and precision. Fun
>>
>>34383494
>I'm not fit to work in LE
>>
>>34383494
You're not fit to work in LE you're gonna end up on Youtube freaking the fuck out and shooting a normal CCW carrier or a poor black kid on his way to church. Anon. Sell your guns, find a different profession. Or start studying Zen Buddhism. Don't be religious about it though, it isn't a religion, it is a psychotherapy technique..
>>
>>34383700
I'm normally a very relaxed person. I got yelled at during field training for not telling a homeless guy to put down a broomstick he was using as a walking stick. Most officers freak out about that shit but I consider myself relatively fearless. If that fucker hits me with a fucking aluminum broomstick he's going to get his ass kicked, which is reasonable. Some cops would shoot him for it which I consider unreasonable. My decision making is fine, I just keep shaking, sweating, and I can't think when I shoot for extended periods of time.
>>
>>34383409
you need to find out whatever it is you're afraid of and face it, slowly and carefully.
>>
File: Photo Aug 31, 19 19 43.jpg (152KB, 1155x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Photo Aug 31, 19 19 43.jpg
152KB, 1155x1024px
Yeah, sounds like you're a massive pussy who needs to resign before you freeze like a faggot and get murdered by a nigger.
>>
>>34383409
Try just working your way up from small guns. Maybe start with 22s and working your way up from there. Or just start by only fireing a few rounds and furring more as you become more comfortable.
>>
>>34383816
Psycho therapy might be useful then, look into Zen Buddhism for some guidance. It's all about realizing your original nature, then anxiety becomes much less troublesome and can eventually pass..
>>
>>34383409
How could you have ptsd if you're in that beautiful bit of Switzerland with the lion carved into the wall? That's the most comfy spot in the world. Its like a giant hugbox.
>>
>>34384507
That's just a picture I found. I live in a third world hellhole called Arizona.
>>
>>34383409
I got my ptsd from being shot at, not the other way around.....
>>
>>34383513
Thank you anon, that was a marvelous read.
>>
>>34383409
you sound soft....
>>
>>34383409
you dont have PTSD, you're just a gigantic pussy and should not have taken on the badge.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>
File: 1466774398109.jpg (32KB, 540x592px) Image search: [Google]
1466774398109.jpg
32KB, 540x592px
>>
Stress tests are totally viable for tactical training, but getting hit and being forced not to wear earpro is fucking retarded and no modern reputable trainer would ever encourage it.

I've had earpro fall out. I survived. I'm sure it's similar when it's game day. Outside of that, I don't want to get use to it.
>>
>>34383409
assuming you're not trolling, go shooting more on your own terms and have fun with it
>>
>>34384682
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtX7P4iv7rE
>>
File: AGGGHHHH.jpg (169KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AGGGHHHH.jpg
169KB, 768x1024px
>>34383409
That mountainside looks like a guy screaming, OP. Are you sure you're okay?
>>
>>34383409
If any of this is remotely true you are not fit to be a cop, doubly so if you're actually dumb enough to come to 4chan for life advice.
>>
>>34383409
OSHA would have a field day with that academy.
>>
>>34383409
That seems beyond what a police academy should do that's what they do to seals.You must have an old hard ass running your program. Not necessarily good. Not everyone who cant handle the toxic stress of a chaotic shooting environment is worthless in fact ny making it so stringent hes guaranteed to have a certain level of homogeny in his graduates which isnt good. Having a diversified team = flexibility, adaptation, and new ideas.
>>
>>34385500
Go watch patton for the 300th time armchair general
>>
>>34385706
>armchair general
Please don't use buzzwords you don't understand.
>>
>>34383409
The fags saying OP is soft dont really know what theyre talking about.the stongest men Ive ever known had ptsd from things maybe a regular person could brush off. But these men were extraordinary and knew the sinister cackle of firearms far away meant a guy like him or me was getting poked full of holes never to see his home or his sweethearts face again. Because of that they cared, and fought fierce as lions sacrificing life and limb everytime so someone else didnt have to. Living like that left 2 specific friends I knew with ptsd. 1 gave in to the darkness and the other one seems like hes gonna make it and be just another guy again.
>>
>>34385737
Please understand, the full permutations of how a buzzword can be used before lecturing someone else.

I wasn't using it in its literal form I was casting an aspersion about your character (if you are the subject). Its grade 12 English if you feel you need to brush up.
>>
File: HOT SUMMER SIDEWALK.jpg (35KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
HOT SUMMER SIDEWALK.jpg
35KB, 800x451px
>>34385756
>the sinister cackle of firearms
>>
>>34383409
>t. psychiatrist
Desensitization&exposure therapy + beta-blockers to control the physical symptoms + mindfulness/generalised CBT/relaxation therapy/meditation is what I'd prescribe.
>Exposure therapy is the mainstay of treatment for both PTSD, specific phobias and most other anxiety disorders. Throw yourself willfully into a situation as close as possible to the one you're afraid of until your mind and body learn not to activate the anxiety response. Then ratchet up the situation to the next level. Don't think of it as your body learning not to be afraid of the situation so much as learning that you're strong enough to handle it.
>Beta-blockers (the blood pressure meds) can be a useful tool in controlling the physical symptoms of anxiety - the tremors, sweating etc. I don't like to rely on them too much but can be a useful adjunct. Used as a performance enhancing drug in shooting and archery comps for that exact reason.
>While the two above techniques are the most important, I find that patients tend to do far better if they also have the time for us to go through psychoeducation (essentially learning about their disease and why their body is behaving the way it is), progressive relaxation/mindfulness/meditation (prefer to avoid beta-blockers if you can - and if you're able to will yourself into relaxation then you don't need them). These techniques along with CBT help rewire the pathways in your brain triggering the anxiety response. Also beneficial for general wellbeing.
Ideally you should GET PROFESSIONAL HELP, I assume it should be pretty fucking accessible (and anonymous) through your department or union. Otherwise, just try to relax, go shooting as often as you can and maybe google various mindfulness, CBT, relaxation or meditation resources until you find one you like. They all sound like wank at first but statistically they do help.
>>
>>34385770
>I was casting an aspersion about your character
Which you attempted using words you don't understand. I just made a statement that OP isn't fit to be a cop based on the information he volunteered. And to be frank, I don't believe any of this ever happened in the first place.
>>
>>34385815
Uh huh, armchair general doesn't have anything to do with that. but the person who criticizes someones fitness to be an LEO are liable to be an armchair general as well.
>>
File: AR15 PTSD.png (702KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
AR15 PTSD.png
702KB, 1200x500px
>>34385855
>Uh huh, armchair general doesn't have anything to do with that.
That is correct, yes.
>>
>>34383409
>PTSD from shooting
you don't have it from shooting
you have it from the stress test bullshit
just from what you described it sounds like you had trainers that had no idea of what they were doing
some people are overly concerned with trying to make training like a "real world scenario" if it too much like the real thing you get PTSD like the real thing

and the end of that kind of thinking is "training" where you let someone out after them to try and really kill them and have them really kill their attacker or be killed
>>
>>34383409
Were the people at the academy LARPing as special forces? Why'd they do that shit?
>>
dude I had to go do a round of CBT while dealing with a professor who constantly changed deadlines on projects (moved them up) while dating my psycho ex (and having a pregnancy scare).

Stress is stress and the mind reacts the same whether it's simulated or real. Go get some CBT, it works wonders anon for anxiety and panic disorders.

And yes anon, your fear of having a panic attack is panic disorder. A few months of CBT and it's been in remission for 3 years now.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.