[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those who carry concealed what do you deem as most important

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_3254.jpg (57KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3254.jpg
57KB, 500x387px
For those who carry concealed what do you deem as most important in your gun. Is it caliber or concealability? Does brand matter that much to you.
I'm interested in carrying a firearm in the future and I'm torn between a tokarev or a seecamp .380
>>
>>34379247
ease of carry, carried a full size for a while, can be done but theres a lot to be said about compactness. As for calibre, someone link that study that showed calibre doesnt matter
>>
I have cc experience with two different guns. In the hottest part of the summer I carry a tiny NAA in a kydex clamshell on a string around my neck.

In the winter and much of the summer (UP fag reporting in) I carry a Glock 19 in a hybrid leather/kydex IWB holster.

In retrospect, both are poor choices. I think something like a Glock 43 down to a lcp would be the best compromise in use ability and carryability.

The NAA is no better than a knife. Maybe worse.

The Glock punishes me all day, most days, for carrying it.

So I'd say make sure the gun is giving you a good handle and sights while being as small as possible while doing that.

Make caliber your last consideration. It almost never changes the outcome of a real fight.
>>
>>34379247
If you ask me, for concealed carry caliber becomes less of a concern since it's for personal protection. I carry a makarov and I'd have to say ease of use and concealability are more important factors than the caliber, since unless it's a peashooter or you're facing a hostile army for some reason any caliber should be enough for personal defense. But regardless of caliber, if you can't hold it very well or it becomes burdensome then it's effectiveness is lowered for you.
>>
I'm 6'2, 200 pounds
I carry a usp full size 9mm aiwb
I live in the south eastern united states
I can conceal it
It's plenty powerful
high capacity
excellent shooter
BUT
It's pretty uncomfortable. my belt is so stiff it hurts my lower back. The longest i can keep it on is 6 hours ish, after that I have to take it off and have a break.
In a shootout, you want to maximize your hit probability, your effect on target, and your ammo count. you will never get out of a firefight wishing you had less ammo

but you need to respect comfort and conceal ability to ensure you always have a gun on you

probably going to pick up a glock 26 or p30 sk to replace the usp as my summer carry
>>
>>34379247
> tokarev

I have a tokarev. I love my tokarev. That said...

Carrying it as your main ccw is fedora-tier. From a practical aspect, it isn't safe to carry with a round in the chamber and then you are at a big disadvantage.

Get the seecamp.
>>
>>34379247
My number one priority is my ability to find a holster for the gun in the style I prefer (usually possible, but not always). The style of holster you prefer will come down to your preferred way to dress and also your body type, so this can be completely subjective and personal. Aside from that, the different factors I use are prioritized as: weight > reliability > grip length > width > shootability (combination of caliber and gun design) > barrel length (even though this is ranked low, it IS a factor). I do not consider rimfire to be viable for self defense, but I'd consider anything from .32 up, as long as the gun is carryable. Weight is paramount, even if you have a good belt, even if you are totally secure in your masculinity because ANY weight on your belt will cause discomfort over time.

>and I'm torn between a tokarev or a seecamp .380
Both are pretty shit carry guns, TBQH. With the Tokarev, it's fairly heavy, a little long, kind of wide in the grip, the caliber will give you difficulties finding JHP ammo (who knows if the gun will feed them, though?), and the guns are too old for my comfort. Many of those surplus guns can have all sorts of minor issues that will only become apparent when shooting the gun, like maybe a malfunctioning mag release that drops magazines spontaneously or a bore too rusted out to shoot very accurately. With the Seecamp .380, it's really light, but hard to shoot (huge recoil + no sights + small grip) and your carry options are very much limited to pocket carry. I have a Seecamp .32, and it's a little work of art, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it as my PRIMARY carry gun, and I almost never carry two guns at once.

Some guns I consider to be great carry guns are:
-Sig P938 (extremely small for a 9mm, lightweight, reliable)
-Ruger LCP and LCPII (due mostly to the <11 oz weight, and they are very reliable guns)
-Glock 19 or USP9 Compact (guns this size are great in the winter months with a covering garment)
>>
>>34379247
caliber and capacity, then ergonomics. I honestly don't give a fuck if someone sees me printing, as long as I'm following the law it doesn't matter. I carry a Glock 19 because it fits my requirements, I shoot well with it and I inherited it so I didn't have to buy it (I'm a broke college student so that's kinda important). The one place I worry about concealability is when I'm on campus, because although it's legal to CC it's not worth the drama of sjw students or professors seeing a gun, so I either wear a sweatshirt in winter or just put it in my backpack when it's warm out
>>
File: 1490825499189.jpg (97KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1490825499189.jpg
97KB, 409x409px
>>34379247
>seecamp .380

I carry one everyday. can confirm 10 for 10
>>
File: 1497299884181.jpg (106KB, 644x781px) Image search: [Google]
1497299884181.jpg
106KB, 644x781px
>>34379754
>With the Seecamp .380, it's really light, but hard to shoot (huge recoil + no sights + small grip)
I'm 6'5" and I can wield it no problem.

>no sights
If you are a cop this might be an issue -- MAYBE, but for a civilian? its fine. The purpose of a CC firearm is to keep from being held captive and forced to watch your GF getting raped. You're not going to be shooting across a parking lot at the hamburgler running away with a bag in his hand with a $ sign on it. The point of CC, for us non-police folk, is point defense against a immediate physical threat. You dont need sights; You don't need scopes; You don't need lazers, and you don't need extra mags.

> your carry options are very much limited to pocket carry
Which is fine, pocket carry is best carry.

> I have a Seecamp .32, and it's a little work of art
I have a .32 and a .380. Both are works of art.
>>
>>34379247
Concealability. I want something that I can comfortable carry on my person at all times. As for caliber, I live in a city, not a fucking war zone. Worst comes to worst, I'm more likely to be shooting some stupid kid at arms length distance, not sniping ninjas at 1000 meters.
>>
>>34379247
I consider everything equally. I like 9mm as a minimum caliber, 10 rounds at least in the gun, but I also want to be able to conceal the gun and use it well. I got a Shield 9 with 3 mag-guts +2 extendo mags and an apex trigger. I feel plenty safe with it and it vanishes on my hip.
>>
File: 1494597371539.jpg (14KB, 559x454px) Image search: [Google]
1494597371539.jpg
14KB, 559x454px
>>34379312
Ease of carry is a big one for me. I'd love to walk around with a full-size but with the amount of Texas 30.07 No Open Carry signs I went with a P30sk. I've carried compacts but the sub is just easier and I feel 10 rounds is sufficient.

I'd love to go full autism and strap a G34 to my chest but I still somewhat give a shit about being a member of society. Fucking society.

Also, fuck every place with 30.06 and 30.07 signs.
>>
File: 20170627_182516.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_182516.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
As an Alas/k/an i carry this dude in the summer ; bersa .380. I'm winter i carry p99 in .40 cal. Concealabilty is a big factor for me but if never go less than 380
>>
File: Ashely_Schaeffer_400x400.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ashely_Schaeffer_400x400.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>34380974
You don't plan a CC around a hypothetical scenario you think is most likely to happen, because gurantee it will be a different scenario than what you planned for that's just Murphy's law. It's best when choosing a CC to cover multiple bases. Also pocket carry is convenient, comfortable, but it's not better than IWB. The draw time out of pocket is significantly slower, as is the violence of action on the draw. The only advantage to pocket carry is being able to already have your hand on your piece without bringing it out, if you think something could go sour. An extra mag is never a bad idea, because magazines are the mostly likely item to fail, and trust me if something will fail it will do it to you at the worst opportune time
>>
>>34380974
>I'm 6'5" and I can wield it no problem.
Being a manlet who lies on the internet or being an actual tall fatass has nothing to do with your ability or inability to shoot a snappy small gun. That's about skill, which I assume the OP lacks, since he doesn't own any small carry guns yet. However, the real downsides of the Seecamp are the lack of sights and lack of carry options. Pocket carry is not viable for your primary carry gun. Period. There are too many situations where you won't be able to draw at all, and in the rest of the situations, you won't be able to draw quick enough.

>>no sights
>If you are a cop this might be an issue -- MAYBE, but for a civilian? its fine.
Sorry, bro, but Paul Harrell says you're wrong, and his credentials are much more impressive than yours, even in terms of involvement in defensive shootings as a civilian.
>The purpose of a CC firearm is to keep from being held captive and forced to watch your GF getting raped.
What the fuck? No. You're just an idiot with cuckolding fantasies. The purpose of a gun is to save your own life by killing someone who is trying to kill you.
>You dont need sights; You don't need scopes; You don't need lazers, and you don't need extra mags.
Once again, you're wrong according to someone who has way more experience than you have.
>You're not going to be shooting across a parking lot
You will never have to shoot across a parking lot...until you do. Until the bad guy is bearing down on you in his car and you have 1.6 seconds to neutralize the threat or get flattened.

>Which is fine, pocket carry is best carry.
Spoken like someone who has no concept of draw time.

>I have a .32 and a .380. Both are works of art.
I never said that the .380 wasn't.
>>
>>34382446
>30.06 and 30.07 signs.
legislature needs to ban that shit, do it hotwheels!
Also fuck all is it hard to carry a fullsize when i refuse to wear pants, just shorts
>>
File: 1490743748737.jpg (12KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1490743748737.jpg
12KB, 180x180px
>>34383077

I suspected you were nogunz in your first post >>34379754; Now I know for sure.

Keep dreaming kid. One day you might get that CC license.
>>
File: IMGP2261.jpg (4MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP2261.jpg
4MB, 3072x2048px
>>34383150
Aw, dang. I dun been found out! What gave it away?
>>
File: 1498429961023.png (66KB, 510x332px) Image search: [Google]
1498429961023.png
66KB, 510x332px
>>34383186

Does daddy know you have his toys?
>>
>>34383197
>>34383150
>>34380974
>>34380860
Cute. When proven wrong, just make vague, unprovable claims. You know that avatarfagging is a bannable offense, right?
>>
>>34383231

so is being a nigger
>>
>>34383236
I that were true, then you would have been banned a long time ago.
>>
File: 1495580915597s.jpg (3KB, 125x120px) Image search: [Google]
1495580915597s.jpg
3KB, 125x120px
>>34383231
so is being underage -- and with dad's pistol too. that sounds like a felony.
>>
>>34383248

I just keep coming back. Even darker than before.
>>
Reliability > comfort > capacity > caliber
>>
>>34379321
ayy 906 fag?
>>
>>34379247
Ease of carry and concealability trump all for me.

I carry a LCR in .38 Special in my pocket because I like revolvers, and it's easy to carry and conceal.
>>
>>34379247
I can pocket carry my model 10 or my tokarev without any concealability issues

Lately I've been carrying a H&R topbreak because Its cheap and if I end up blasting some nigga I don't have to worry about the police confiscating one of my 'good' guns
>>
I carry a Taurus (dont judge me) Curve. Works perfect.

Reliability > Ease of draw > Comfort > Caliber
>>
>>34379321
Just buy a 43 or get the smaller 42
They are both what you need. Yes the naa is just a bad idea it's like poking a bear with a stick just dumb.
>>
>>34379247
>as most important in your gun

1 - something i can shoot well

2 - something i can carry easy

for me that's a ruger lc380 and appendix carry with cheapie nylon holster
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.