[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Exoskeletons Really Pratical In Combat? If So, Could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: hulc7.jpg (51KB, 357x500px) Image search: [Google]
hulc7.jpg
51KB, 357x500px
Are Exoskeletons Really Pratical In Combat?
If So, Could They Have Other Uses?
>>
Why does every word in your post begin with a capital letter?
>>
>>34376953
He's Writing a Master's Thesis or Something
>>
>>34376922
Unless you want to die in the fireball produced when one of the battery cells get is ruptured or gets overheated, no.
>>
>>34376922
The problem is weight, portability, and power source

At present any exoskeleton could theoretically operate for 3-4 hours untethered, which on extended ops isn't feasible. That is unless you pack a humvee full of charging units, which also won't happen because they're already stuffed to the gills with 4 police cars worth of electronics they weren't rated for.

So unless significant strides in dyno motors are made where each movement of a limb is enough to restore the power that that movement uses, we're not getting far in present time.

For giggles though somebody post the fur suit exoskeleton screencap.
>>
>>34376922
shut up we have this thread every week
>>
It Fucking Pisses Me Off When People Write Like This

You're Not Even Going To Get A (You) From Me
>>
I really think it depends on how quickly you can get into prone and back onto your feet again. For stuff like breaching just covering it in plates and hauling a ruck it wouldn't matter as much but would probably be better than going slick.
>>
>>34376922
not yet but they're working on it
>>
>>34376922
Never.

Like Rail Gun it's that kind of tech only used to drain Federal Money.
>>
>>34376922
Quit Capitalizing Every Fucking Word In A Sentence You Unbelievable Retard
>>
>>34376974

lmfao dude, if you're taking fire that is blowing up your batteries, you're definitely taking fire that's going into your chest and head. A battery exploding ten minutes after you've bled out from a head wound is not a realistic concern.
>>
>>34376989
>So unless significant strides in dyno motors are made where each movement of a limb is enough to restore the power that that movement uses
>infinite energy
The day we invent that there will be no more reason to make war, sadly.
>>
Literally just a forklift
>>
Saw something a year or so back that said they were using some low powered exoskeletons to steady firearm aiming.

That struck me as the first practical application because the power source issues are keeping starship trooper like setups being a thing for the foreseeable future.
>>
File: 63c4wBo.png (1MB, 1300x798px) Image search: [Google]
63c4wBo.png
1MB, 1300x798px
>>34376922

>practical

Sure, yes. So would phasers set to stun, but we ain't there yet.

Other uses? I imagine construction equipment would alter substantially.
>>
File: loader.jpg (118KB, 544x309px) Image search: [Google]
loader.jpg
118KB, 544x309px
>>34378440

>I imagine construction equipment would alter substantially

Pic related, one use that actually kinda makes sense
>>
No, you can't masturbate with it. It just gets too technical.
>>
>>34376922
They will probably be useful for warehouse workers before they ever become useful for soldiers. But maybe someday.
>>
shit like the hulc is going to be widely used in the near future.
>>
File: bilde-pic700-700x467-65997.jpg (31KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
bilde-pic700-700x467-65997.jpg
31KB, 640x426px
>>34378924
>>
File: THIS NEEDS TO STOP.jpg (44KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
THIS NEEDS TO STOP.jpg
44KB, 600x900px
We could just not load our grunts down with 50lbs of extraneous garbage and eliminate the need for an exoskeleton entirely. That'll never happen of course. Politicians are insanely risk averse and have to pad troops in so much armor that they look like the Michelin man, and the companies that manufacture all the extraneous garbage don't want to have their profit margins threatened.
>>
File: 1496169915532.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1496169915532.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>34379066

/thread

the grunts are more pack animals than fighters these days.
>>
>>34380465
>>34379066
We did have slightly more deaths per combatant in Vietnam than currently. Just FYI.
>>
as of right now? no.

in logistics? perhaps. unloading/loading shit would be much more efficient.

but the fact you are asking this now when they are in their early stages shows why the internet are making people so stupid.

if the internet were around in WW1 dumb fucks like you would be looking at the V-2 and saying - 'rockets? they must be useless. they can't even hit their target 90% of the time!" or "jet engines? how unreliable this is stupid what a failure!".

they just started making exoskeletons, so you're a retard if you're judging its usefulness while its in its infancy. you're the same as the idiots saying lasers are worthless since they can only down drones, or the f-35 sucks because something on it needed more development.

tl/dr what a stupid question op.
>>
>>34376922
The tech is a ways to go before its actually useful, but the potential is there, but more for the logistics side than actual combat. An army crew would get more use out of exos than a fireteam that needs mobility and cover
>>
File: 1495414252364.jpg (15KB, 403x537px) Image search: [Google]
1495414252364.jpg
15KB, 403x537px
>>34376922
>needing an over complicated exoskeleton to move a pelican case with wheels

This is why the ranks E1-E4 exist.
>>
>>34378309
what about making war to take the infinite energy technology
>>
>>34379066
honestly that suit looks a lot more ergonomic than some of the shit i wore in the army.
>>
It will be very helpful for people loading munitions onto aircraft.
>>
File: 1467556816175.jpg (45KB, 262x394px) Image search: [Google]
1467556816175.jpg
45KB, 262x394px
>>34380474
We were also fighting a comparably armed standing army in Vietnam. Now we only fight goat farmers that are using antiquated leftovers and homemade bombs. Just FYI
>>
>>34376989
>At present any exoskeleton could theoretically operate for 3-4 hours untethered

bullshit
There is no limit to the amount of fuel you could carry, certainly would last WAY frigging longer than 3-4 hours

Also you don't have to be operating at 100% that whole time either.
>>
>>34376989
>So unless significant strides in dyno motors are made where each movement of a limb is enough to restore the power that that movement uses, we're not getting far in present time.
Springs and other elastic material.
>>
>>34376922
>If So, Could They Have Other Uses?

Yes, they're far more useful outside the battlefield. See your pic for example. . And Don't Type Like This You Autistic Fucking Piece Of Shit
>>
>>34380474
>We did have slightly more deaths per combatant in Vietnam than currently.
Not a very useful statistic.
>>
>>34376957
made me chuckle
>>
File: 1497849543122.png (357KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1497849543122.png
357KB, 640x360px
In combat? Not so much, it might help with fatigue a bit but unless you could make it like a crysis suit with no bits sticking out that could get caught on shit, it would probably just interfere. I'm not a soldat though so who knows.
But for anything involving regular manual labor, hell yeah.
>>
Imagine someone shooting that fag, and the exoskeleton keeps moving making the injury worse or breaking his back lol
>>
BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD TO RUCK 1000 MILES UP A HILL THROUGH A HEAVY BARRAGE AND OVERLAPPING FIELDS OF FIRE BOTH WAYS WITH BOOTS ROTTING OFF OUR FEET AND WE LIKED IT
>>
>>34376922
Currently? In combat? Nope.

On base, well behind friendly lines moving around things? Yes.
>>
>>34378309
>implying
War is part of human nature. We'd have no trouble finding an excuse.
>>
>>34379066
That suit is modular, you can take off parts that you don't like. If you're rucking for long distances, you probably want less weight, but if you're the pointman and you're breaching, you probably want the extra protection.
>>
>>34379066
ok then, i agree

What extraneous items would you cut from a current combat load?
>>
>>34384079
The soldier
>>
>>34376922
Nah theyre only useful for moving heavy shit fast probably. Maybe useful for loading big ass artillery shells on a battle ship or something, other than that not much battle use
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.