[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howdy, /k I'm thinking about getting a semi-auto in 308.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

File: 7mm0865mm08.jpg (268KB, 799x556px) Image search: [Google]
7mm0865mm08.jpg
268KB, 799x556px
Howdy, /k
I'm thinking about getting a semi-auto in 308. Want to emphasize accuracy, but need to balance that out with cost. Don't need to go all tacticool. What are my options? AR10? I'm pretty comfy with ar15's, so I'm guessing not a huge learning curve.
>>
File: dont tread 2.png (211KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
dont tread 2.png
211KB, 2000x1333px
>>34373731
A good FAL can be a damn accurate gun at a modest price, if you want to go a bit more expensive go for a decent scar, if you want another lego gun get an ar15, since it can be just about anything. As much as i like the m1a/m14, its outdated, and extremely expensive for what it is. So my personal recommendation is a good FAL or you build an ar10 yourself if you're concerned about price.
>>
>>34373795
I had heard (again, havent done one myself) that there are issues with AR10's being non-standard and incompatible, so its not as easy as slapping together milspec uppers/lowers/triggers/bcg's, but you have to stick with one place or prebuilt?

If I go FAL is it worth getting a parts kit and building or is it better just to get one already made?
>>
>>34373823
Ive not had a problem with incompatability with an ar10 i used to own nor my 2 other family members who owned one, but if that ends up being a major problem you could just talk to a gunsmith. Fals are hit or miss with the premade ones, so its hard to tell sometimes. So i would do some research on companies that are one of the major makers in them. With a fal you have to decide if you want a pretty good one and buy a premade all at once one, or build one to your perfect specifications over time. again if you know a gunsmith id consult them before i go for a kit of any kind.
>>
File: 7Ea0u6q.jpg (504KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7Ea0u6q.jpg
504KB, 1920x1080px
>>34373731
>>
>>34373823
There are two different types of patterns for an ar-10. It seems the DPMS pattern is more popular, but idk which is better.
In my mind an ar-10 is the best platform for focusing on accuracy compared to the other platforms we can easily get here.
Me and my friend did a 6.5 grendel ar-15 build that with a scope is suprisingly accurate.
Also you can get good triggers and easily mount a scope if you want.
I have a ptr and need to shoot it more, but the trigger is not accuracy focused.
You can build an ar-10, just stay within the pattern and it should work out.
FAL's are cheaper to buy pre-made, but the parts kit seems like a fun option.
>>
>>34373894
Why the 308 hate? too big or too small?
>>
>>34373731

An AR10 will be a more inherently accurate rifle than an FAL. It will also be the easiest to upgrade over time.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 800x428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 800x428px
Buy this n tell me how you like it
>>
>>34373916
some people see the 308 as a compromised intermediate caliber that doesnt really do anything particularly well.
im not one of those people, but whatever.
>>
>>34373973
>Galil Ace 1651
>>
>>34373731
I hate to recommend memeguns because I'm a special snowflake but for accuracy out of a semi-auto .308 it's either a SCAR or an AR-10.

One of the ROs at my range brought his AR-10 (can't remember what kind it was) for people to try and it was so accurate it was downright ridiculous, and I'm really not a precision shooter at all.
>>
Aero precision
Savage
S&W
just to name a couple ar10's that I've heard good things about
>>
File: IMG_1961.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1961.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34374014
Yeah AR10s can get crazy accurrate if you're willing to spend the dosh on it.

OP what's your budget looking like? There are several off the shelf options available for under 2k which will give you a solid setup in the AR10 category.

I got my Sig716 (sans the attached glass) for about 1800, and it's sub-moa with handloads.
>>
>>34374052
Well, I'm a cheap bastard, but I've spent enough money and time fixing bad choices I've made being too cheap up front to know that sometimes its better to spend a bit more.
>>
Saiga
>>
>>34373731
>>34373731
Here's my future build, it's about 1800 probably less.

Gibbz arms g10 lower and upper side charging
Drd tactical quick change barrel system handguard(make sure to get mlock and ask for some rails) with an extra barrel nut
Cmmh lower parts kit
Some pistol buffer tube kit
Original sig arm brace
X caliber barrel - 308 1-7 twist 5r rifling heavy profile rifle length has system 4140 steel melonite Cryo treated
Some gas tube and gas block
Basic bitch flip up iron sights
Angled foregrip - forgot the brand but it's very good, way better than the magpul.
Kak industries double ejector bcg
>>
>>34374086
Hrm, well like I said, the sig716 is a good, if heavy option. Tight tolerances, easy to clean so that's a solid choice. Major downside will be a lot of proprietary doodads here and there, major one being if you want to remove the built in quadrail or swap the barrel is apparently a right bitch and a half that pretty much requires a gunsmith with a very strong vice and wrench arm.

Maten makes some amazing uppers and lowers, but they're frequently out of stock so building one is an excersize in patience.

POF is another solid brand that makes solid AR10s, but they can get pricey very quickly.

As others mentioned, scar is damn good and can get very accurate, but it's more inclined towards general use rather than pure precision. Major problem is availability, which means nasty markups. You're looking well over 2k and into 3k in some cases depending on your area.

I've heard mixed things about Palmetto State's AR10 offerings. Problem with them will also be proprietary parts as well, but I haven't read enough reviews about their ar10 line to make a judgement call on them. And that's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Most other options will quickly break the $3k mark if you're going with an AR10 category.
>>
>>34374125
>>34374145
Thanks, its just a toy, so I don't think I can justify going over 2K, those sound like some good options. I'll check them out.
>>
>>34374178
Aye, check out Palmetto's offerings then. You can probably get an AR10 platform setup for not too much.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-20-rifle-length-308-win-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-target-rifle-516446318.html
>>
File: AP AR10 with PA 1 6 ACSS.jpg (464KB, 2528x758px) Image search: [Google]
AP AR10 with PA 1 6 ACSS.jpg
464KB, 2528x758px
Your main bottleneck is going to be cost of ammo if you want accurate stuff. M80 ball ammo will get you 3 MOA, FGMM/BH 168/175 will be $1/shot, and you need that stuff for MOA or better.

As for the rifle itself, as much as I recommend building, AR-10's don't lend themselves to be built well (go ahead, ask me how I know, pic related). If you want an AR10 get a DPMS G2 18" 308.

I wouldn't recommend a semiauto intermediate cartridge rifle like an AR-10 unless you give no fucks about the cost of ammo. You can do really good with a 20-24" AR15 shooting the factory 69gr SMK Aussie outback ammo from Cabelas for cheap. They even have 77gr SMK I think as well. Battle rifles are a meme unless you're hog hunting, which case you don't give a shit about accuracy and M80 will work fine.
>>
File: IMG_20170527_130905490.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_130905490.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>34374145
>I've heard mixed things about Palmetto State's AR10 offerings. Problem with them will also be proprietary parts as well, but I haven't read enough reviews about their ar10 line to make a judgement call on them. And that's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Most other options will quickly break the $3k mark if you're going with an AR10 category.

PSA's AR-10s are all DPMS spec, except the receivers need to both be PSA (which saves you money anyway), and 4 small parts (bolt catch, mag catch, takedown pin, and pivot pin http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-upgrade-kit.html). Otherwise, it's all DPMS, which often means regular AR-15 parts (gas block, gas tube, lpk aside from the 4 parts, and furniture). They take common Magpul mags (SR25 mags), and function reliably with them. I finished mine for $800 (including FFL and S&H)(+ tools and glass), and that was before prices collapsed. Left rifle in pic. Shoots 3/4" at 100 yards with an Anderson 20" HBAR.
>>
File: lmt order.png (15KB, 759x595px) Image search: [Google]
lmt order.png
15KB, 759x595px
>>34374145
>Most other options will quickly break the $3k mark if you're going with an AR10 category.

This is quite true.
>>
>>34373731
If you want optics, get an AR-10.
If you want cheap with cheap ammo, get a Poverty Tier Rifle and blast steel case all day.
If you want compliments, get an FAL. A decent FAL is more expensive than a decent AR-10 while being less accurate, and the solutions to the optics problem are less than ideal.
Those are really the big three.
>>
Which civilian .308 would you want to have with you in an apocalypse scenario where durability and reliability are as important as accuracy.
>>
>>34374585
G3
>>
>>34374709
Why? I guess I should have included that in the question.
>>
>>34374314
Nice setup man! I'm digging the wood furniture.
>>
>>34374430
Super jelly. If I had unlimited dosh I'd splurge for an LMT or GAP-10 build, but that's eventual bonus day I guess.
>>
File: IMG_3337.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3337.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Do not buy PA10 gen2s
Lower receiver was out of spec causing failure to feeds
Bolt catch would not function
Staking on bolt carrier was shitty
>>
Last question while I've got you here, what barrel length should I go for in an ar10 planning on scoping it for distance shooting? i know length doesnt matter much w/223, but 308?
>>
I lied, last, last question. Should I just get this...
http://www.armslist.com/posts/6985564/tucson-arizona-rifles-for-sale--ar-10
10 minute drive from me...
>>
>>34373916
>3 moa
>>
File: IMG_1495.jpg (646KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1495.jpg
646KB, 1632x1224px
>>34375813
http://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-nato-barrel-length-versus-velocity-28-to-16-5/

This guide covers it pretty well though bear in mind it is on a bolt action.

Long story short, the longer barrels (20-24) really shine if you're planning to regularly shoot beyond 500 yards, there the velocity loss and drop off are much more significant with a shorter barrel. His findings basically point to not to go below 18" unless you're planning to use it as a mobile hunting/innawoods gun.

Also keep in mind, .308 will have a decent kick, though reduced in a semi-auto platform. Still, that shorter barrel is going to mean significantly louder muzzle blast, concussive force, and recoil imparted into your shoulder when shooting. I noticed this majorly when I upgraded my beater 30.06 from a lightweight synthetic stock to a heavy Manners T4-A composite stock here. (Lower rifle)

There is something to be said of having a heavier/longer barrel to temper the recoil and muzzle blast of the round. If you're going to be plinking at the range, being able to put more rounds downrange more comfortable is definitely something to consider.
>>
>>34375818
Also, I'm leery of that guy's setup. The gun looks like a franken gun of mismatched parts (sorry that's my aesthetic autism screeching), it's an A2 setup with that fixed front sight post which will interfere with your optics choices. Granted, if you're planning to just slap a co-witness red-dot on it, it should be ok, but a .308 really begs to be taken out further. if you're just looking for a short range fuck-around gun, at this point you'd probably better be served with going with a 5.56 platform for cheaper ammo, or if you're deadset for the .308, perhaps something like a G3/Fal which will be cheaper to feed (steel case runs fine in them) at the cost of less furniture/optics options like >>34374518
said.
>>
>>34373731
The thing that sucks about .308 semi autos is proprietary parts, wish there was a standardized .308 rifle like the AR-15.
>>
>>34373916
It's a meme in the past few years to hate a perfectly good cartridge like .308. I can shoot a 6" group at 600 yards with my bolt gun. Would be harder to get that accuracy with a gas semi-auto, but anything that can deliver 178gr pills into a tea saucer at that range is okay in my book.
>>
>>34373974
There is nothing intermediate about .308. KEK
>>
>>34373974
So some people are idiots, I guess water is also wet.
>>
>>34373795
Is DSA still making the FAL? I looked at their website and all I could find was parts and accessories, no links for buying a complete FAL. From the one fudd forum page I read (I think it was called "308 is gr8" or some such faggotry) DSA were the only quality FAL producers. Also FAL has a worse MOA than a G3 clone. Counterintuitive but true.
>>
>>34373894
Cool photo, I'm convinced now.
>>
>>34373974
308 is a full size rifle round though. It's case is just smaller than a 30-06 or a 8mm Mauser. But it's performance is right up there. Confusing it for an intermediate round must've been some pre-internet fuddlore. Like I'm sure the conversation sounded like this "Jeb, Didya know? 308 is what they use in rifles in the army it's smaller than what my daddy shot japs and norks with. It might as well be that .223 bullshit they forced our boys to use in 'nam, damn Mattel rifles, military is going to shit"
>>
>>34373731
I'm going against the grain here but don't waste money on a fucking SCAR. Yes it's accurate, yes it's high quality, but for less than half the price of that you can get a PTR91 or an AR10 both have sub MOA. Which is probably more accurate than you can even shoot on a bench. It's more accurate than me anyway and I spend so much time at the range the I'm going to be a guest at my local RO's wedding. I almost made the wedding party.
>>
hijacking thread

.308 hollow points for home defense? would a hollow point .308 overpenetrate a live body?

im assuming shot for shot it would ruin someones day moreso than a hollow point .223 or pistol round
>>
>>34374229
>69gr SMK Aussie outback ammo from Cabelas

I guess you haven't heard. Rumor is that will no longer be imported. Weep with me. They are making .308 ammo though. No idea if it's as good.
>>
>>34376400
>would a hollow point .308 overpenetrate a live body?
probably. big heavy bullet takes a lot of shit to stop.
>>
>>34376400
You are unlikely to find hollow point instead of spire point, but yes, most .308 will over-penetrate if you put stock in FBI standards in gel.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/308-win-tap/
>>
>>34373731
FNAR ~1MOA
gunbro / 660623077 $1,000
>>
>>34373916
More specialized cartridges exist.
>>
>>34376409
>>34376409
You're going to let a shithead who says "hijacking thread" Hijacked this thread? C'mon guys you're ruining everythiiiiiiing!

Realquick: Hollow point 308 makes no sense use one of the thousand other guns that are better suited to fire hollowpoints
>>
>>34374709
Agree
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.