[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So who's the modern James Moses Browning, /k/? Is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: JMB.jpg (30KB, 580x380px) Image search: [Google]
JMB.jpg
30KB, 580x380px
So who's the modern James Moses Browning, /k/? Is there even one? Is there any weapon in the last few decades that wasn't designed by a committee?
>>
>>34366469
>So who's the modern James Moses Browning, /k/? Is there even one?

Even if there were, he'd never have anywhere near the independence or autonomy that JMB did
>>
>>34366469
The last "browning" was named Stoner, or Klashnakov depending on who you talk to.

The closest living example is "wilhelm bubits"

go ahead. google him. he is responsible for many of the polymer framed striker guns you goobers salivate over.
>>
File: waning_hope.jpg (33KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
waning_hope.jpg
33KB, 480x480px
>>34366469
no, because the NFA didn't exist in his time. You could just cobble up a machine gun and sell the fucking thing, and the prices of ammo weren't artificially inflated like they are now. Furthermore, the information was actually out there WAS OUT THERE when he was doing it. There's a book that gun collectors are after with hard ons and wads of thousands of dollars to buy that's been out of print almost if not at least a hundred years, which details things like making primers and cases and what not, though I can't remember the name. Otherwise, the information is out there, but you have to be very dedicated to finding it, rather than searching at an "at a glance" basis. He knew things that we never will unless someone torrents that book on gunsmithing from way the fuck back when out to the internet. Even then the lucky bastard who did that could easily get away with charging prices as high as $1,500 for a digital copy or download.
>>
George Kellgren, no doubt.
Shame he half asses the final drafts.
>>
>>34366469

me. just wait.
>>
>>34366973

What're ya gonna design, bud?
>>
>>34366979

gotta patent it first, friend. I'll give you a hint: I found out the russians tried something similar in the cold war (bothered the hell out of me that someone came so close) but didn't get the physics right. also, they weren't looking to the future.

it'll be at least five years before I start selling 'them'
>>
>>34366979

also, someone recently made/used 'them' in a youtube video. also bothered the hell out of me, but they still didn't get the physics/timing right.
>>
>>34366992

A double recoil system with the bolt moving back and the barrel moving forward?
>>
>>34366499
The shame with Kellgren is that he doesn't outsource the manufacturing to someone with the kind of production capacity and consistency that would do his designs justice.
>>
>>34367007

no. just don't give up hope. the projectile weapon industry is going to be forever changed. I can't tell you the mechanisms...

let me put it this way - the production cost will be about $50 a pop for materials, retal <$300, and ammo will be ~$.20 a round... or cheaper if you make it yourself, but it won't be easy.
>>
File: 1412665389.jpg (29KB, 750x373px) Image search: [Google]
1412665389.jpg
29KB, 750x373px
Stoner, when he was alive
George Kellgren now. He makes some innovative stuff. His old designs were ludicrous but now he's adapting them to fit the market.
>pic related, the precursor to the RDB
>>
>>34367019

What will your market be? Civillian? Military? LE?

Or do you think it will be as impactful as smokeless powder?
>>
...John

I hope that was bait.
>>
>>34366469
committees set the requirements, designers try to meet them.
>>
>>34367047

smokeless powder impactful.

I intend to open it to the civilian market first. I'll post special discount codes on /k/, and even use a get thread to ship out the first viable prototypes - for free.

that's years from now, though.
>>
>>34367061

Oh jesus, wow. I don't know why "James" was in my head.
>>
>>34367047
>>34367065

and I've already discussed it with federal and some state authorities - there are currently no regulations for them.
>>
>>34366992
Korobov lever-delayed AKM competitor?
>>
>>34367080

no... whatever the hell that is.
>>
File: 1498365514906.png (183KB, 501x786px) Image search: [Google]
1498365514906.png
183KB, 501x786px
>>34367019
>Mfw this is probably that pepe liberator retard
>>
>>34367080

do you mean compensator? because compensators won't work with all of my models.
>>
>>34367103

also don't know what that is.
>>
>>34367092
>>34367105

Back in the times when AK was expensive as fuck to make(because milled receiver) a guy named Korobov or something like this made a prototype of a rifle that had some weird lever-delayed blowback system but was all-stamped(outside of barrel I believe) and outperformed both AK and AKM. Wasn't adapted because AKM was more "ordinary".
>>
>>34367065
>I'm gonna be the next John Browning
>I'm going to invent something to revolutionize firearms technology on the scale of smokeless powder
>russians tried it before but they couldn't "get the physics right"
>but don't worry I'm better at physics than the brightest minds of the whole USSR
>Oh and I'll sell them for $300 apiece with discounts to /k/omrades
>but I can't tell you what it is

Okay, anon. We believe you.
>>
>>34367114
East German designer if I recall. His designs were bery conventional but the way it was implemented was very odd at the time.
>>
>>34367114
The schematics are on the internet so you can get the idea how it operated, it was certainly all-stamped which means that had somebody tried to make it in huge numbers it would be pretty cheap etc. etc.

Also by "ordinary" i mean - the Red Army, as every other drafted army valued familiarity of new designs. If some reservists who served in 1950 could without problems field strip and use the new 1965 rifle it meant that they've saved good 3 days from mobilizing them to putting them into combat.
>>
>>34367115

I've already invented everything. I've already prototyped and tested the ammunition (subsonic only so far - I'll test supersonic in 3 weeks) and it works flawlessly.

but I don't own the patents yet. also, the chinese dog eaters aren't going to respect my american patents, so I wanna have a good jump start on them before they steal my shit.
>>
File: taurus-curve.jpg (69KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
taurus-curve.jpg
69KB, 960x640px
Taurus
They made the curve
They have a gun that shoots bullets and shotguns
And now they are makikg those colored guns
>>
>>34367115

and I never specified firearms. More it will revolutionize projectile weaponry as a whole.
don't get me wrong I've got a few firearms designed, but I don't dare build them, and I don't have the equipment to forge steel to those tolerances yet.
>>
>>34367135
>>34367131
>>34367114
>>34367105
>>34367092
http://modernfirearms.net/assault/rus/korobov-tkb-517-e.html

Here it is.

Had anybody "just" copied it and you'd have viable new rifle on the market overnight.
>>
>>34367157

too many moving parts... thanks anyway?
>>
Gaston Glock
>>
>>34367025
That's a long barrel
>>
>>34366469
For me, it's NutNFancy
>>
>>34367103
My thoughts precisely. Fuck that retard.
>>
>>34366498
>There's a book that gun collectors are after with hard ons and wads of thousands of dollars to buy that's been out of print almost if not at least a hundred years, which details things like making primers and cases and what not, though I can't remember the name.

There are no metalworking mysteries. If you want a part, machinery to prototype and produce it more easily purchased or custom built today than ever before.

You can still build and sell machine guns. Pay the trifling (compared to machines and tooling) license and ITAR fees and have at it. That's only a barrier to people so incompetent they don't have money.

Also note patents often protect designs less well than having a patent pending because you offer less info to competitors to be "engineered around". See a patent attorney if you are serious.

>and I don't have the equipment to forge steel to those tolerances yet.

Producing close tolerances is the purpose of finish machining, not forging.
>>
>>34367114
Being a lever delayed rifle, I'm betting it probably batters itself and has more brisk recoil than a gas operated rifle.
>>
>>34367157
What would make it viable?
Why would someone buy one over an NPAP or M&P15?
>>
Royal Nonesuch, obviously. He's a visionary, a pioneer, and an inspiration. It's heartwarming to see the mentally handicapped succeed like that.
>>
>>34368821
Mark Surbu shoahed his jewtube channel.
>>
>>34366992
Have you tried sending the blueprints to Kel-Tecâ„¢
>>
>>34367343
for u
>>
George Kellgren, founder of kel-tec, not because his weapons are so great, but because he will build anything.
>>
File: IMG_1551.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1551.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Although he is dead now, I would have to give it to "Wild" Bill Ruger, who created the Mk I-III target pistol, 10-22, mini-14, P-series, and some number of revolvers.

I honestly don't think there is any one designer alive who has designed everything from pistols to heavy machine guns, and literally everything in between.
>>
>>34366469
George Kellgren
>>
>>34371823
You mean the guy that did his best to nuke the ar15 and did his best to pass antigun legislation in California?
>>
>>34366469
It isn't possible to design like JMB today.

If I had an idea for a family of cheap, effective, and reliable 7.62 rifles that I wanted to submit to those new army trials; I wouldn't be able to do it.

To recieve more than $7500 dollars (half of my annual income) for the design alone would require me to go through the many years and much money needed to registered with the govt. as a dealer and manufacturer.
To build serialized prototypes would require a startup investment of millions of dollars, along with years of EPA and ATF bullshit.
The market is overcrowded with ancient, stolid designs that are hard to improve on.
Even if your job is to sit there designing cool shit, you can't just bang out a prototype select-fire rifle that can be fed from box magazines as a standard service rifle, and fed from linked belts as an SAW; there are legal hoops to jump through before you can begin prototype work on anything NFA.

Creativity has been succesfully legislated out of existence.
Odds are, you are surrounded by modern JMBs, they just aren't allowed to do anything.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.