[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about The Pacific. What are the hisorical inaccuracies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 34

File: the pacific.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
the pacific.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Let's talk about The Pacific.

What are the hisorical inaccuracies you spotted? Which parts do you think were especially historiacally accurate? Were the Japanese portrayed accurately?
>>
>>34360302
They did a bad job of choosing who to follow and they're ruined like 3 episodes with unnecessary romance and sex shit.
>>
>>34360361
This. Also E.B. Sledge was played by an effeminate faggot that looked like a soft green bitch all the way through the series.
>>
>>34360302
That one part where The RSO Gunnery Sergeant didn't slap the shit out of that butter bar.
>>
>>34360302
Former muhreen grunt. It's trash and romance for women. Give me Band of Brothers over that shit any day.
>>
>>34360439
>Former muhreen grunt

Were you born in 1923? If not nobody cares

Got a kick out of the part where they were pulling gold out of the dead Jap's teeth, because my grandfather always said he made a killing doing that through ought the war. Of course they had to make it seem like some horrible woe is me thing, but in reality nobody cared because the Japs were so necessarily dehumanized
>>
>>34360415
>Also E.B. Sledge was played by an effeminate faggot that looked like a soft green bitch all the way through the series.

So did the real Sledge.

Google it.
>>
>>34360494
Nah I'm just saying it's so trash I'd tend to lean towards the Marine WWII story more just because much muhreens. But in this case I can't because it's hot garbage.
>>
>>34360415
>Sledge was played by an effeminate faggot that looked like a soft green bitch all the way through the series.

that#s bc that's what he was. he was a kid who thought war would be "an adventure", he broke mid way like the little bitch he was but then had his redeeming moment when he refused to mercy kill a dying okinawan woman and instead held her in his arms. then he proceeds to deride army soldiers for doing what he did not 45min earlier to the japanese himself. it's a pretty accurate depiction of this type of people - I see them every day.
>>
>>34360494
I'm still a bit troubled the marines didn't issue wate rpurification tablets/pool shock. but them again, all they had way into vietnam and the 90s was 1qt canttens so hydration wasn't really thought about it seems....
>>
>>34360519
>>34360494
Both are made by Jews, as is clear by the fact that in BoB they are portrayed as unabashed heroes with a focus on the Holocaust and in the Pacific there is an anti-war slant with no atrocities by the Japs really shown or talked about
>>
>>34360302
>burning your forearm because you can't find a leather belt/sling/loop of some shit to carry your MG

total trash.
>>
>>34360567
Dan Dailey actually did that in real life though.
>>
>>34360594
excuse me then, he's total trash and IQ<89.
>>
>>34360567
>marine is potato

Highly accurate.
>>
>>34360602
He was taking fire. Ran back and scooped it out of the water and returned fire. Sorry he wasn't a tactically prepared ninja like you are.
>>
>>34360630
>Sorry he wasn't a tactically prepared ninja like you are.

>I might need to change positions with a hot MG, better figure out a way to carry it BEFORE I'm besieged by arisaka wielding two legged insects

Yeah, I'm really a ninja thinking out such highly abstract concepts....
>>
>>34360302
late in the series they fought against eachother in arguments rather than fighting the japanese.
>>
>>34360830
>late in the series they fought against eachother in arguments rather than fighting the japanese.

probably also not unrealistic. "cabin fever" sets in, people get pissed at each other for nonsensical stuff....
>>
>>34360554
did you stroke out during the okinawa bit where the japs taped TNT to a mother and sent her on her way to the marines with her baby?
>>
Only good part was the guy who did snafu. Everything else was mishandled
>>
>>34360964
i guess you miss some parts if you spend the whole time looking for clues about the jewish conspiracy
>>
>>34360302
what an awful sequel to BoB. Not a single decent character and awful actors everywhere.
>>
>>34360964
>did you stroke out during the okinawa bit where the japs taped TNT to a mother and sent her on her way to the marines with her baby?

is that recorded as having happened or is it of the "they made soap from us" type of historical "fact"?
>>
>>34361020
>Not a single decent character and awful actors

that's life.
>>
>>34360993
>Only good part was the guy who did snafu.
>liking the only arap shitskin

yeah, go suck some dick you cunt...
>>
>>34360302
Sledges and Leckies books are better.
>>
>>34361020
Nice tits on the Australian chick though. Best performance of the whole series
>>
>>34361127
>Leckies
felt really bad for him. not because of the war but because his parents hated him....
>>
>>34361165
>Nice tits on the Australian chick though. Best performance of the whole series
>I'm the merchandise

lol. the whole scene was degenerate as fuck. including the father in law...
>>
Ken Burns Vietnam war doc is coming out in September, and HBO is starting production on the mighty 8th a series about the 8th AirForce so lots of CGI B-17 and fighter action im guessing
>>
>>34361189
GIT HYPE!
>>
>>34361189
>Ken Burns Presents: VIETNAM
>it ain't me starts playing
>>
>>34361202

inb4 it's full of negroes doing heroic things and womyn's rights

Everything is terrible anymore. Don't get hype, throw your TV out the window.
>>
>>34361219
and don't forget evil cis scum white males raping and murdering innocent gook poc wymyn snipers who can nail a dime from 800 yards await with a mosin...
>>
>>34361089
the claim was " in the Pacific there is an anti-war slant with no atrocities by the Japs really shown or talked about". Wether it really happened or not is irrelevant, it was still shown in the show
>>
>>34361208
>all along the watchtower

Hello summer
>>
>>34361257
>Wether it really happened or not is irrelevant

what? ofc it's relevant. it's the only thing that's relevant.
>>
>>34361127
Only thing that needed to be stated in this thread.
>>
>>34360668
To be fair he had an asbestos glove just for that purpose but lost it.
>>
>GOOD CHARACTERS

>SLEDGEHAMMER, SNAFU, BERGIE, THE GUNNY, ACK ACK HELDANE, LECKIE, PULLER, THE CORPSMAN THAT TELLS LECKIE HE PEEPEES

>BAD CHARACTERS
>BRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP
>>
The Pacific will never match Band of Brothers and it's sad.
>>
>>34361331
no. I like pacific better. but that may be because ross and brody ruined the atmoshere for me...
>>
>>34361358
Don't forget Jimmy Fallon.
>>
>>34361111
Wowie! what a waste of quads, looks like summer is still going on strong.
>>
>>34361532

>"hey you guys look like you could use some ammo"
>looks at camera
>laughs
>audience claps
>germans clap
>airbourne claps
>jimmy laughs till he dies
>purple heat
>>
>>34360302
>Band of Brothers
breddy gud/10

>The Pacific
Pure shit/10
into the trash it goes

how could they fuck anything up that bad?
>>
>>34360668
>middle of a firefight
>in the middle of the night
ok bud. if only every medal of honor recipient was like you
>>
>>34361610
you're pretty dumb and can't read. thinking about how to carry that pos gun would be the first thing on my mind during basic training.
>>
>>34360302

the part with the canadian commando commiting suicide was odd as the guy died in the phillipines or somewhere from a jap machine gun
>>
>>34361331
>>34361532

i never finished band of brothers because joey from fucking friends was their CO or some shit
>>
>>34361171
>>34361290
The books are always better than movies or shows.

Take We Were Soldiers for example. It's my favorite movie ever, but I hate that the last charge was completely fabricated.

In reality, for those who haven't read it, towards the end of the battle of LZ X-ray, the 7th Cav guys had a big lull, and had time to resupply, evac wounded, get reinforcements, dig in better, map artillery and mortars better, make better interlocking fields of fire, place trip flares and claymores a couple hundred yards ahead of the lines.

The enemy charged that night for one final push, and our guys slaughtered them. 7th Cav had no KIA that night and something like 12 wounded, and they weren't life threatening injuries. I would have loved to see Hollywood make that scene.

Also LZ Albany was madness.
>>
>>34361625
Sometimes. Just sometimes. Things dont go as planned in the middle of combat. And sometimes. Just sometimes, thinking about gloves isnt the first thing on your mind when youre literally in the middle of a fight for your life
>>
File: 1483236871302.jpg (731KB, 1227x849px) Image search: [Google]
1483236871302.jpg
731KB, 1227x849px
>>34361273
>Moving the goalposts
Come on now /pol/
>>
>>34361625

Different anon, he had a glove but it was misplaced during one of the initial firefights. So he did have a way of carrying it beforehand. The issue was that he had to quickly displace his gun to reinforce another position. Even if there was time to find an improvised sling in the middle of the night, it would not have allowed him to fire while on the move or bludgeon the shit out of the Japs.
>>
>>34361775
I dont think theres getting through to someone that retarded
>>
>>34361752
This. /k/ is a LIBERAL and FEMINIST board.
>>
>>34361625
You're literally as bad if not worse as those "GERMANY WOULD'VE WON THE WAR IF I WAS IN CHARGE!" fags
>>
>>34361649
He was actually quite fitting, always demanding respect and dicipline, while underlying being absolutely nothing of a person that would deserve either, just from looking at them and their presence.
>>
>>34360415
That's literally what he was though.
>>
>>34360415
That guy went to my high school
>>
>>34360302
At least Sledge can be stone cold

The medic from Hacksaw Ridge was pure cringe
>>
File: 1476245186695.jpg (53KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1476245186695.jpg
53KB, 640x640px
>>34360439

That's idiotic because BoB is a Disney-like kiddie depiction of WW2, there's literally only one episode of combat (Carentan) and the rest is just artistic faggotry like long shots of 30 year old actors staring intently into the horizon.

Pacific showed a war of extermination, which it was in the Pacific, fought mostly by 18-year olds.

Faggots like you don't like it because it's not a sanitized view of war like BoB.
>>
>>34361331

Nah, I liked the Pacific far more. The Peleiliu battle episodes alone were better than anything to come out of Band of Niggers.
>>
>>34361273
In the context of his original statement accuracy or inaccuracy is irrelevant.
>>
>>34360302
>What are the hisorical inaccuracies you spotted?
They all used M1903A3s, which wasn't even in production when they were fighting on Guadalcanal.

None of the M1s have the lockbar rear sights like they would have in WWII.
>>
>>34361649
get passed the first episode. He is in it for the first episode and you see him at the end of the series for a very brief time.

BoB works better than the Pacific because it is focused on a set core of guys.
>>
>>34360668
>ITT: Armchair warriors, boot Marines and hooahs

Sounds about right, I actually enjoyed the show, not many people try to get the Pacific War done right. The show was fuckin brutal
>>
>>34364990
>there's literally only one episode of combat
That's retarded. Your weekend pass is revoked.
>>
File: remove rice.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
remove rice.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>34360415
He did his part
>>
>>34362434
Holy shit.

Andrew Garfield and Vince Vaughn taking up that movie was horrible. Garfield's blonde buddy was shit too.
>>
Do Euros even give a shit about the Pacific War, here in MURRICA everyone likes to wank over how we stomped Nips, carriers and shit. You will never, ever hear, read or see the Australian's contributions. China and the SEA nations are basically a footnote to someone's background.
>>
>>34364990
Just because BoB isn't soaked with combat doesn't mean it doesn't portray the horrors of war as well as The Pacific. There is combat in 8 of the 10 episodes and conflict in all of them.

Fuck off you shit bird. It's easy to make a blood filled action flick, it's hard to make characters you enjoy and know. It takes time to build them up but time is limited, you retarded faggot induced fuck stain.
>>
>>34365034
Peleiliue was the best out of the series but BoB was better imo.
>>
>>34365191
>Kokoda Campaign
>New Guinea Campaign
>New Britain Campaign
>Bougainville Campaign
>Borneo Campaign
>Burma Campaign

I think they went to Malay too, they probably don't get much attention because the Aussies don't really make any movies or shows about their part in the Pacific War, all I know of is Australia and The Kokoda Trail
>>
>>34361649
It gets much better when he goes away
>>
>>34365265
Also, I really want to see a movie about the Philippine Campaign and Castner's Cutthroats
>>
>>34360535
plus it was 1943
>>
>>34361020
it was disappointing
they concentrated on that one guy that got killed
but he got killled early on in the War, and while a great guy and leader he didn't really play much of a part in the War
forgive me for forgetting his name, he married that female soldier/cook/nurse whatever she was. Haven't seen the show in at least 7 years.
>>
>>34360535
Yea, the plan was to bring in water in used oil drums that the boot Marines didn't scrub just right, of course the plan went to shit when they found out the Japs had a defense-in-depth going on. Pretty much it was a clusterfuck from the get go, I know Chesty Puller is really idolized by many but I wonder if there was a better way to take on the Airfield besides a full head on attack and taking an obscene amount of casualties, from Sledge's memoir it sounded like the 1st MARDIV took a pounding just from that.
>>
>>34361649
>>34365271
They're right. It's an excellent series.
>>
File: GySgt Basilone.jpg (18KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
GySgt Basilone.jpg
18KB, 201x251px
>>34365325
ARe you talking about John Basilone? He didn't die in Guadalcanal if thats what you think, he rekt a bunch of Japs with his gun that he carried barehanded because Marines have been losing their shit since 1776. I think he got another award posthumously for getting his guys off the beach on Iwo Jima. Chuck Tatum writes about him in his book I think.
>>
>>34365325
Basilone?
>>
>>34365351
I guess what I was getting at he was what 25 and they were all idolizing him
he was doing what the rest of them were doing (he did end up getting killed by mortar fire)
I'll concede he was a charismatic leader but in the scheme of things he wasn't around for most of the War like a lot of other unfortunate marines/soldiers
>>
>>34365326
Puller is memorialized mostly as his his decoration as a marine. I don't think anyone commends his command capabilities but I could be wrong as a civvy and knowing pretty little about the man.
>>
>>34365379
I think it he was a great choice in propping up patriotism, valor, and the antiwar message.

If those are the messages they wanted to convey he was an excellent choice.
>>
>>34361649
Ross, not Joey
>>
>>34365395
Well I'm a Marine and I got curious about how we idolize him and decided to do some digging on him, from what I gather the man was an excellent fighter, an okay Tacticians and a terrible Strategists.

The crazy bastard was right at the front lines during the battle of Guadalcanal, on those bloody ridges on Peleliu and somehow was with his boys when they got surrounded in the Chosin Reservoir
>>
>>34365379
>>34365411
He probably would've died sooner on if they hadn't sent him on the USO tour after he won the Medal of Honor, what made him exceptional was that despite his heroics and fame, he saw himself as just another fighting Marine and he went down with his boys
>>
>>34365140
at least they fucking tried. yeah lets try and scrounge up a few dozen hard to find period correct 1903's and m1's when we can just use later models that are everywhere and basically look the same to 99.9% of our audience. you're literally bitching about the placement of the sights on both guns.
>>
>>34365480
Hey, man. Thanks for info. I understand, in a small degree, why people get idolized that way.

Somebody does really well in a unit and the guys in the unit talk well of him and the word spreads.

I knew he was hardcore but I appreciate your measured response.

Of course the Frozen Chosin cadence speaks volumes about him but from what I knew he gained a lot of his notoriety from the banana wars and boxer rebellion but after that it's pretty dry about his accomplishments, in my knowledge.
>>
>>34365191
>>34365265
Grandpa fought with the Aussies at Kokoda.

>>34365325
Basilone fought in the war during the first major battle of the Pacific campaign where he was awarded his MoH and then volunteered to go back to Iwo Jima after his time as a DI was up. He was there from the very beginning to almost the end.
>>
>>34365379
what truly sets him apart is the fact that he returned to the fight. He had his million dollar ticket home and wanted to get back in. if you read leckie and sledges books a common theme among the men is that they didn't want to fight anymore, they did their duty and fought for their brothers but at the end of the day they only wanted to go home, most of the men hoped they would catch a bullet that wasn't life threatening
>>
File: Comfy Leckie.png (602KB, 852x481px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy Leckie.png
602KB, 852x481px
>>34365665
Sledge goes really in depth about the fatalism that took hold of most Marines, including himself, during the War. If you haven't read it, With the Old Breed is pretty much required /k/ reading, one of the most honest memoirs of the Pacific War there is. Leckie's book can get really dry but if you're a Marine with a deployment or two under his belt and have a reading comprehension higher than a 4th graders (all 10 of us), you'll really enjoy how the experience pretty much hasn't changed since the 40s.
>>
>>34360567
Hey hey I have 20 minutes to dig through bags and tents while several thousand gooks are already inside the wire
>>
>>34365594
M1903s are everywhere. It's inexcusable to have the entirely wrong gun. This is like the History Channel's documentary where the US soldiers are using SMLEs.

Hacksaw Ridge of all things had the lockbar rear sights on their M1s. The movie was shit, but at least the armorer knew what he was doing.
>>
>>34365736
>the entirely wrong gun

its the same gun, the only difference is the rear sight and the stock didn't have finger groves on the pistol grip. It must be fun watching movies with your autistic ass
>>
>>34361772
You forgot
>We fought the wrong enemy
>>
>>34360554

They liberate a concentration camp in Band of Brothers because they did in real life and it's following their story.

What do you want a hard cut to a load of nips raping people in Nanking that the marine obviously wouldn't have been there to witness?
>>
>>34365191
Bong here. Our WWII history looks lile the Blitz, the Blitz, Holocaust, the FUCKING Blitz, D-Day, Bongland and the Frogs teaming up to kick out the Nazis with the help of supporting actors America and Canada, something something Japan, Nukes.

Most of my history education didn't even focus on the war itself. Just the side effects or how bad people in london had it because there were air raids every night. Aside from D-Day, we never actually looked at any of the battles or conflict itself. Certainly no mentions of Russia in any capacity, no mentions of what was going on in Italy, Africa and a minor mention of Americans fighting gooks in the Pacific.

As it was most of my classmates only knew about Stalingrad because our history teacher just went on a massive rant one day because he was sick of teaching all the shit.

Our WW1 history is even worse. If I were to go by what I was taught in school, WW1 was fought by America, France, Britain and Germany in Western Europe and nothing else of note happened anywhere else.
>>
>>34366427
It surprises me how they didn't teach us about north Africa either.
>>
>>34360302
The Japanese islands are full of gum trees and other Australian plants also the sandstone looks Australian as well
>>
>>34365148
Then what are you? Just an observer with an opinion as valid as anyone else. Settle down.
>>
Both BoB and pacific were rough interpretations of what actually happened.
They did a good job trying to portray what one guy wrote about.
But we'll never really know what that shit was like. Not even modern combat vets.
>>
>>34365702
>gooks
>>
>>34360993
>snafu
On the show Snafu is something of an amalgamation of unnamed Marines from Sledge's book. Usually unnamed because they were doing things he didn't want to attribute to anyone. The result being a fatalistic, despondent TV Snafu digging for gold teeth while the actual Snafu was just another Marine no different than Sledge. Nor is he the one that stopped Sledge from taking souvenirs, or threw pebbles into the Jap's skull.

Sledge also writes about a Marine who made a point of shooting the dick off a dead Jap, but I guess that didn't make the script.
>>
>>34365141
Yeah, that was my biggest grind on the series as well. I like it, but it goes back and forth over too many characters.
>>
>>34365325
What? He died like at the fucking end. A couple of months before the war ended
>>
>>34365470
Sure it wasn't Chandler?

>Could this trench BE any more crap?
>>
Hot opinions coming through
Generation Kill > Band of Brothers >> Generation War >>>> The Pacific
Admittedly The Pacific has some great and memorable individual scenes, but as a whole it's meh.
>>
>>34360436
He did though.
>>
>>34366458

Filmed in north Queensland.

The Thin Red Line was filmed on the other side of the mountain range where my cousin lived near Tully in north Qld.
>>
>>34366821

>generation kill

Are you a producer on that mini series? Because only that can explain why you'd lump that generic for TV drama with the rest of those shows which surpass it in every regard (production value, acting, script). Oh wait, you're one of those edgy children who just like it because it's German and it shows "the German POV".
You utter retard, at least watch something good like Stalingrad. Idiot.
>>
>>34367051
>because it's German and it shows "the German POV"

What the hell are you going on about?
>>
>>34367054
He's talking about Generation War (Unser Mutter, Unser Vater), a German produced miniseries about WW2. People on /k/ fawn over it because it shows the war from a German perspective but it's still loaded with muh war crimes and muh lolocaust.

And that anon is completely right, it does not not deserve to be in the same category as BoB, Generation Kill, and The Pacific.
>>
>>34365843
My entire point is that something as common as a M1903 should have been procured, not an improper example.
>>
>>34367054

Sorry, I meant Generation War.
>>
File: 1472438898764.gif (3MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
1472438898764.gif
3MB, 200x170px
>>34360867
>Four .s
Fucking redditor. Two .s is fine, three is acceptable, but you don't fucking use FOUR
>>
>>34361020
>Not a single decent character
SNAFU
>>
>>34367051
>>34367100
>>34367263
I fucking agree. Tried watching it and it was pretty awful. Shame since German war FILMS can be excellent (The Bridge, Stalingrad 1993, Das Boot)

It was really poorly acted and none of the characters held my attention. It's only known for the scene where the SS shoots a partizan little girl being used as a meme in Youtube videos.
>>
my great uncle was a radio man for chesty at chosin. for one day. they get mortared, he hits the deck. feels a tug at his back, he looks up. fucking Chesty is standing upright in a mortar barrage and trying to drag my great uncle up so he can keep on walking. My unc quit that job and went back to the line. He got frostbite and could put out a cig on his feet til the day he died. nerves were gone.
>>
>>34360567
>because the enemy totally cares about your safety
>because the enemy is just going to wait for you to search for proper equipment

>being this underage
>>
>>34365140
You do realize that the marines went INTO guadalcanal with 1903's right? It wasn't until after when they were able to get M1's from the publicity and increased funding. They even made a point in the movie when Sydney said "The army gets all the new shit and I'm stuck fighting with shit my grandpap used"
>>
>>34360415
Or you could read the fucking book. Sledge had a lot of feels about war. He wasn't like Leckie or at least he didn't express his experience in the war the same way.
Leckie
>Machine gunned 4 japs and saved whole squad, i'm cool
Sledge
>Got order to drop mortars on jap trench
>Investigated it later and found 40 dead japs with wounds from mortar shrapnel
>The horror the horror
>Nightmares and personal internal conflict

In all seriousness I read both memoires they based the pacific on and my favorite quote was frome Leckies book where he spends half the night in terror of what he thinks is a Japanese infiltrator sneaking ever so slowly towards his fox hole and lies completely still while slowly inching his rifle to point at the suspected infiltrator so he can fire if he sees clear movement. When dawn breaks he realizes he was pointing his rifle at his own foot he had propped up on the edge of his foxhole. I think the quote is "Now I know why might light fires. To keep the darkness at bay"
>>
>>34370970
Sorry autocorrect fucked me on the quote. It was from memory anyways so it's probably inaccurate. Here is a real quote from the same passage though.

“It was a darkness without time. It was an impenetrable darkness. To the right and left of me rose those terrible formless things of my imagination, which I could not see because there was no light. I could not see, but I dared not close my eyes lest the darkness crawl beneath my eyelids and suffocate me. I could only hear. My ears became my being and I could hear the specks of life that crawled beneath my clothing, the rotting of the great tree which rose from its three-cornered trunk above me. I could hear the darkness gathering against me and the silences that lay between the moving things.”
>>
>>34371006
I guess the point I am driving at is that Sledge saw and did more fucked up shit than Leckie and felt alot of things about it. Leckie felt less and was a better writer.
>>
File: 1384060824138.jpg (95KB, 634x627px) Image search: [Google]
1384060824138.jpg
95KB, 634x627px
>>34370241
Yes, they used M1903s, not M1903A3s.
>>
>>34371265
Nobody fucking cares
>>
>>34371294
This is an entire thread built to nit picking. So we do care.
>>
>>34366427
School history is so terrible
>>
>>34360517
>>34360525
>>34362026

KYS, Sledge was no pussy

>He [Sledge] denied regret for the men he had shot but regretted the ones he had missed.
>>
>>34371333
No, it's to talk about the greater issues with the show. Nobody gives a shit about the difference between an '03 and an '03A3. I'm fucking amazed they just didn't give them Garands from the start of the series.
>>
File: Sledge_in_Dress_Blues.jpg (8KB, 180x259px) Image search: [Google]
Sledge_in_Dress_Blues.jpg
8KB, 180x259px
>>34370970
>>34371006
>>34371022
I did read the fucking book that's why I said casting Joseph Mazzello made him look like an effeminate faggot. Look at the pic in OP and tell me you think that pasty, clean haired, soft handed, fake as fuck southern accented faggot looks like someone who has lived 2 years in the south pacific and then tell me pic related looks like that same effeminate bitch they cast.

I didn't say shit about either of their "feels" about the war, as I'm not going to question their experiences, but I will say again they have Joseph Mazzello make Sledge look like a boot bitch throughout the whole series.

>Leckie machine gunned 4 japs
>not using the time Leckie spent an entire night machine gunning Japs attacking his position across a river
>telling me to read the book
>>
>>34372172
thats the entire point you mouth breather, he didn't come into the Marines having lived through combat already you dingus.
>>
File: 1484823484601.jpg (16KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1484823484601.jpg
16KB, 500x322px
>every marine has a garand
>only da snipurs have 1903s
>>
>>34372210
What's the entire point? My simple, one sentence comment was that they made E.B. Sledge look and behave like a green bitch from beginning to end, instead of having him properly grow as a character. Fuck and you're calling me the mouth breather?
>>
>>34360494
>some horrible woe is me thing

Implying pulling teeth out of a dead human isn't horrible
>>
>>34372227
They showed all Marines with 1903s on Guadalcanal
>>
>>34361189
If Shelby Foote aint't in it I ain't watchin it
>>
>>34365191
Bong here. My great-grandad fought in Burma and spent four years as a PoW. He organised several escapes and managed to secure extra food for himself and other prisoners through an escape tunnel. He saw some pretty messed up stuff, my Granddad told me he saw an elephant kill a Japanese officer. When the camp was liberated by the Americans he took the camp commander's sword back to the UK as a trophy.

But when I mention it to anyone in the UK they couldn't give less of a shit, even the ones who are interested in history. WW2 was Dunkirk, The Blitz, and D-Day. Anything else is irrelevant.
>>
>>34372358
>WW2 was Dunkirk, The Blitz, and D-Day. Anything else is irrelevant.
In the US WW2 is Pearl Harbor, Midway, Iwo Jima, Nukes in the Pacific and in Europe it's the invasions of France, Poland and Russia (no specifics only that they were invaded and lost) then D-Day, the Rhine, Battle of the Bulge, drinking wine in the Eagle's Nest. That's all if you meet someone who's "hobby is, like, studying history because it's so interesting you know?"
>>
File: Smug Fat Kid.jpg (117KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Fat Kid.jpg
117KB, 1000x1000px
I don't get what the fuss is all about, I really liked it and it had more combat and brutality than BoB.

I guess everyone is critic
>>
>>34372246
It's only horrible if they're people. Gooks are not people.
>>
>>34361649
http://www.marcusbrotherton.com/unvarnished-truth-captain-herbert-sobel/
>>
>>34364990
I believe the average age of the WWII warfighter was 26.
>>
File: Castner's Cutthroats.jpg (59KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
Castner's Cutthroats.jpg
59KB, 600x420px
>>34372432
This.

I'm pretty autistic about the Pacific War, almost to the point that I want to know about every facet of the American war effort against the Japanese.

Did you know that Marines stationed in China after the war was over would get into street fights and shootouts with Japanese soldiers waiting to get rotated back to Japan? Or that the US Army had a unit of Inuit and Alaskan frontiersmen that worked as scouts for larger Army units in the Aleutian Islands called Castner's Cutthroats?
>>
I really liked the Pacific, just skip episode 3 and you're gucci if you just want the war, but even that one episode isn't terrible.
>>
>>34360361
Nailed it. The romance sub plots were insipid.
>>
>>34366864
Not really, I've seen a RSO SSgt drop kick a 2Lt for muzzle sweeping him.
>>
>>34372819
I didn't know about the Marines fighting Chinamen but I did know about the Inuit scouts during the Aleutian campaign.
>>
>>34364990
Wew, were you born a cocksucking faggot or did the molestation make you one?
>>
>>34371386
>implying someone effeminate wouldn't say exactly that.

He's a Marine fuck face, not a poster boy.
>>
File: don-d-laugh-drink.jpg (61KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
don-d-laugh-drink.jpg
61KB, 413x395px
>>34365351
>because Marines have been losing their shit since 1776
>>
>>34360867
>>34367686
>>Four .s
>Fucking redditor. Two .s is fine, three is acceptable, but you don't fucking use FOUR
It took me seriously five minutes to figure out what the fuck you were talking about, but then I realized you were trying to say "periods" in the dumbest motherfuckin' way that's humanly possible.

He's fine. A hell of a lot better off than the abortion you made that's still wrong anyway!

Observe:
>.. (NOT OKAY, you had a sperg moment and punctuated twice)
>... (OKAY, this is called an "ellipsis")
>.... (NOT OKAY, you had a sperg moment and punctuated punctuation)

Consider yourself... schooled.
>>
File: 1473713137739.gif (2MB, 400x206px) Image search: [Google]
1473713137739.gif
2MB, 400x206px
>>34371333
>we do care
No, no, my sweet summer child, there is no "we" here.

This is a stupid hill to die on, it's a groove in the wood and some sights. I'm A-OK, like 1100000% okay, with the fact that they didn't find some original M1903s and then screw some bore devices down the barrel so the insurance company wouldn't reee.

Or did you think they just stuck blanks in the magazine and called it a day? I bet you did.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>34374716
Read the contents of the post being replied to >>34360867
Feel sorta dumb but not too dumb because missing the joke is mildly acceptable.
>>
File: doubt.png (128KB, 408x410px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.png
128KB, 408x410px
>>34374908
Well I'm not sure what kind of joke that's supposed to be there, if any, but I'll retort with this:

Jokes are supposed to be funny.
>>
File: burned out MGs.jpg (269KB, 898x683px) Image search: [Google]
burned out MGs.jpg
269KB, 898x683px
>>34374764
My entire point is that M1903s are easy as fuck to find so they should find the correct version. In fact, M1903s are far more common than A3s. They shouldn't use something they knew for a fact the Marines weren't carrying at the time (nor did they ever have A3s).

I don't like lazy armorers.
>>
File: IMG_1498.jpg (86KB, 800x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1498.jpg
86KB, 800x760px
>>34370970
Except that didn't happen faggot. Sledge said he was proud of what he did and the mortars provide valuable firepower and save rifleman's lives. Did YOU read the book?
>>
>>34372236
>E.B. Sledge look and behave like a green bitch from beginning to end, instead of having him properly grow as a character.

But that's false.

This is the part where your argument falls apart - your stubborn insistence on sticking to something that any idiot knows is plainly wrong.

The real question here is - why don't you know it's wrong?
>>
>>34377210
He acts like an angsty bitch the whole time series. He was certainly the least likable character of the whole show, which is an injustice to the actual Sledge.
>>
>>34364990

>the-future-of-western-males.jpg
>>
>>34360554
>focus on the Holocaust

It's literally an 8 minute sequence that isn't even mentioned for the rest of the series you

Back to >>>/pol/ Kraut lover
>>
File: Eugene Sledge.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Eugene Sledge.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>34360302

They should have made the series 2-3 seasons long and given them one exclusive protagonist.

i.e. Eugene Sledge in season 1, Robert Leckie in season 2, and Basilone in season 3

I hated how they constantly jump from character to character when they never even interact with each other. It only worked with Band of Brothers because all of those men were in the same unit.
>>
>>34360554
>in the Pacific there is an anti-war slant
Wrong. Every Jap in the series was pro-war
>>
>>34377961
8 minutes is too long to portray something that never happened in a show that is meant to be historically accurate.
>>
>>34377817
>He acts like an angsty bitch the whole time series.

1) Try speaking English instead of this retarded niggerbabble.

2) He doesn't do that.

It's clear that you have not seen this show. Why are you so emotionally invested in something you haven't seen?
>>
>>34360302
Did any of you fags even read Leckies or Sledges book? Both are fucking brutal with the old breed is top tier.
>>
File: 1488510813396.gif (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1488510813396.gif
3MB, 600x338px
>>34370970
>>34371006
>>34371022
Leckie was a writer from New Jersey. Sledge was a rich kid from the south, of course Sledges book is going to be more deep
>>
>>34378028
>He made a typo let's focus on that
Kys
>Haven't seen the show
I watched it as it came out on HBO and have it on DVD. Keep deflecting though, you're the one sperging about a one sentence post.
>>
File: 1489028800719.jpg (96KB, 599x602px) Image search: [Google]
1489028800719.jpg
96KB, 599x602px
>>34376964
>My entire point is that M1903s are easy as fuck to find
Hurr durr guess again, retard. It was filmed in Queensland, Australia.
>M1903 are far more common
Not in Australia. Even then I'm calling bullshit.
>They shouldn't use
Look, kiddo, find me some prop M1903s, not real rifles that haven't been destroyed to comply with bullshit laws, and we'll talk. Until then shut the fuck up you annoying sperg because there is literally no difference besides the sight and the barrel, tiny, TINY fucking details.

Consider yourself lucky they used Springfields at all.

>tfw you're arguing with a full-force retard who would chop up antiques just so the pretty pictures look accurate
>tfw you know it's not trolling because autistic bullshit like that is not in short supply
>tfw you wish this was the 1950's where retards were bullied by the community until they shaped up or killed themselves
You're lucky they didn't invent a way for the board to slap you silly with a yard length of hose.
>>
>>34378028
>He doesn't do that
When Leckie and Basilone come back to the US they meet their wives, Leckie resumes his career as a journalist, they keep going on with life despite their experiences. What does Sledge do in the show? He mopes under a tree in sunglasses and goes full edge lord when he realizes that he has no life skills while trying to enroll in college on a girl that's just asking him what technical skills he has.
>>
>>34377988

I think the issue was they wanted to get in as many notable battles of the Pacific theater as they could, but couldn't find/weren't willing to find one unit would have fought at every single one of them.

>>34378137

It also seems that Leckie was able to get back into the swing of things rather quickly back in America, while Sledge had a harder time readjusting and needed to get his thoughts and experiences out into book form.

>>34367051

I thought this was a bait post at first but then I realized you were talking about the German series. Could not agree more. I actually had a discussion with a professor of mine about the show where he reamed it for basically being this absurd "None of these people actually believed in Nazi ideology! in fact they all subtly undermined them!" narrative with utterly cliched war tropes.
>>
File: Burgin.jpg (95KB, 348x490px) Image search: [Google]
Burgin.jpg
95KB, 348x490px
>>34377140
>tfw Sledge, Burgin and SNAFU were responsible for the deaths of a Company Sized Japanese unit during the Battle of Okinawa
>tfw Sledge and Burgin both bragged about bringing down death and destruction they rained down on the Japs that day

Sledge also said that he had little to no pity or regard for the Japanese after witnessing how they mutilated and tortured Marines during the battle of Peleliu.

>>34380355
>It also seems that Leckie was able to get back into the swing of things rather quickly back in America

Well Leckie was older than Sledge, he even had a job and life before enlisting in the Marine Corps. Sledge was a rich college student with little life experience who suddenly threw himself into the fires of combat.

In short, Sledge was your average edgelord veteran without social media to show what a dysfunctional veteran he was, although I'm on the fence on whether he gets a pass for it or not because he did fight the Japs in some of the most brutal campaigns fought in the Pacific War
>>
>>34365162
kek
>>
File: I'm CIA.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
I'm CIA.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>34364990
>there's literally only one episode of combat (Carentan)
So you're saying...
>"Day of Days" (Brecourt Manor Assault) doesn't count
>"Replacements" (Operation Market Garden and the action at Nuenen) doesn't count
>"Crossroads" (German counterattack) doesn't count
>"Bastogne" and "The Breaking Point" (Battle of the fucking Bulge) doesn't count
>"The Last Patrol" (Haguenau) doesn't count
Are...are you fucking with us? It kinda feels like you're fucking with us.
>>
File: final flight.jpg (75KB, 720x775px) Image search: [Google]
final flight.jpg
75KB, 720x775px
>>34378010
kek'd
>>
>>34381920
EBIN FILTHY FRANK MEME DUDE XD
>>
File: 800px-Colt_Potato_Digger.jpg (60KB, 800x482px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Colt_Potato_Digger.jpg
60KB, 800x482px
>>34378208
They didn't have problems procuring, Type 38s, Type 92s, Reising SMG ,M1917s, M1919s M3 "Grease Guns", yet they can't procure a rifle that was made in the millions.

Yes, a lot of the rifles weren't actually real ones but rubber props, THAT THE PRODUCTION COMPANY MADE. If they go through the trouble of making both function and fake rifles, they can go through the trouble of making the correct version instead of one that doesn't look anywhere like it.

>here is literally no difference besides the sight and the barrel, tiny, TINY fucking details.

Yes, there is LITERALLY no difference, except for this part, this part, this part, and this part.

>Consider yourself lucky they used Springfields at all.

Then we should be lucky they used M1919s and M1917s instead of M1895s?
>>
>>34382513

are you actually autistic
>>
>>34382513
>Then we should be lucky they used M1919s and M1917s instead of M1895s?
You're actually fucking retarded aren't you?
>>
File: 1453937854727.jpg (30KB, 305x283px) Image search: [Google]
1453937854727.jpg
30KB, 305x283px
>>34382513
>>except for this part, this part, this part, and this part
>sight and barrel are the only differences
>three parts, at maximum, one is so small that even the most incredible autist has to squint
>insists that this is "inexcusable"
>also calls a fucking wartime upgrade that changes two locations on a rifle "the entirely wrong gun"
>because the other 99.5% of the rifle just doesn't count
>not in the land of assburger
>nope, this anon was carefully examining every frame of the movie to make sure everyone was using the correct sight
I'm not even being mean when I say I had no idea you were actually on the spectrum type of autistic.

When I started this I sort of knew that you were at least a little bit on the dumb side, but this... I wish you were trolling, your caretaker probably has to deal with a lot of angry rants about shit she doesn't give a fuck about.

Please tell me you don't scream at her and call her a normie.
>>
>>34383015
>movie
Oh now I've done it. I know the 2000 character post detailing how I'm an inexcusable asshole for not recognizing that this was a miniseries and not a feature-length film is quickly on it's way.

RIP me.
>>
File: autism levels.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
autism levels.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
>>34382513
>>
>>34383088
Youre my hero
>>
>>34382513
Just let it go, your autism is showing
>>
I remember /k/ having multiple threads from a stupid Hurstory Channel documentary where there Americans are using the entirely wrong rifle. Nothing is different here.
>>
>>34383088
Top kek
Thread posts: 188
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.