[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in the army and want something better than shitty pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

File: MOLLE-Assault-Pack.jpg (296KB, 768x923px) Image search: [Google]
MOLLE-Assault-Pack.jpg
296KB, 768x923px
I'm in the army and want something better than shitty pic related.
What are the best bang for your buck assault packs?
>>
>>34359760
The GI assault pack is actually pretty good, as far as things go. If you really want to get spendy, the Mystery Ranch or Camelbak trizips are about the only things in that size range significantly better IMO.

The Tactical Tailor and LBT packs are nice, but not a huge upgrade to be honest.
>>
>>34359795
It's just ugly and doesn't go with my ocps
>>
>>34359804
Oh, you meant camo. You can't DX or exchange it at CIF for an OCP kit?
>>
>>34359826
>CIF
Ahahahahahahabahahahababahabahhahahahahaha!
>>
>>34359868
They're all a bunch of autistic old fuckers, but swaps can be done. If all you don't like is the camo, no reason to drop $100+ for a quality daypack out of pocket.

Is the rest of your CIF kit UCP?
>>
>>34359868
Although CIF sucks, I will say that the assault packs are of surprisingly high quality, considering the alternatives. My assault pack remains the only backpack that I haven't completely worn out after years of abuse.
>>
File: qt3.jpg (159KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
qt3.jpg
159KB, 1080x1349px
Civilian here. Please explain why you're required to buy your own kit to go off and fight battles.

Should the military not be providing you with a backpack for fuck sake? How are you supposed to carry your MREs and hentai?
>>
>>34359919
He was provided a pack, he just doesn't like it. Now fuck off.
>>
>>34359919
it does but many guys like to buy third party if for no other reason than to show off
>>
>>34359919
In the Marines they are standard issue, same for Army. He wants a different one. In the Marines that would never fly, gotta wear whatever issued shit everyone else does. So this concept is odd to me also if it's legit.
>>
>>34359948
My unit might just be lax about the rules, but I've never heard anything about having to wear standard issue
>>
File: black1.jpg (60KB, 820x1024px) Image search: [Google]
black1.jpg
60KB, 820x1024px
>>34359935

So he's going to spend oodles of his own money (it's my understanding that Armyfags don't get paid all that much either) on a pack that will get shredded, torn, covered in blood and mess, and ultimately destroyed - just because he doesn't like the one they've issued him?

You're not a mercenary - just use the shit they've given you. How could a backpack possibly be so horrible that you MUST buy a different one to carry around stuff you don't use 90% of the time.

I smell an airshitting gearfag.
>>
>>34359948
>In the Marines that would never fly, gotta wear whatever issued shit everyone else does.

I don't know if this is Nu Marines, but on deployment back in the day, Marines had just as much aftermarket stuff as soldiers when it came to packs and pouches. It might have been out of regs, but as long as the gear wasn't obnoxious, nobody cared.
>>
>>34359887
>>34359887
>Is the rest of your CIF kit UCP?
that's the most aggravating part, they gave me about half and half so I go out in the field looking like a complete autist
>>
>>34359984
>the stupid shit you like and spend money on is inferior to the stupid shit I like and spend money on

kys retard
>>
>>34359994

>looking like a complete autist

Who gives a shit you idiot, it's function that counts. Your shitty ACU isn't going to hide you from Hadji and Pajeet when they're driving a Miata full of C4 at your HUMVEE.
>>
>>34359987
Depends how old you're talking. We had extra pouches and shit, but it was all coyote brown like our flaks and facilitated a purpose. I was forced to buy extra drum carriers because I was a SAW Gunner. Same for other gear or whatever.

But wearing something other than your assault pack on patrol would be a no go.
>>
>>34360018
>I was forced to buy extra drum carriers

How can the military force you to spend your wages on gear they should be supplying? I would just tell them "look, I'm not paying for this - you buy it or I guess we just die when I run out of ammo".

They'd smarten up and buy you some carriers.
>>
>>34360008
Calm down turbo, no one ever said that. He said it's retarded to spend a lot of money on new gear just because the perfectly adequate gear he got for free wasn't the color he liked.
>>
File: medium-ruck-side.jpg (131KB, 1024x721px) Image search: [Google]
medium-ruck-side.jpg
131KB, 1024x721px
>>34359994
Eh, OCP and UCP mixed uniforms looks aesthetic to me.

Reminds me of OIF dudes with mixed woodland and desert then mixed woodland and UCP.

Is it actually functional? Fuck no, but it looks cool for some reason. That being said, you weren't issued the assault ruck?
>>
>>34360028
They're not really allowed to make you spend your own money on stuff, but shitty leaders will do so anyway hoping that junior soldiers don't know or are too scared to say anything.
>>
>>34360032
op here

You wouldn't say its retarded to get cosmetics work done on your car, but that has little to no function. Why is that any different than just buying a different pack purely for looks?
>>
>>34360032

This. It's function over form first and always. If you want tacticool colour matching gear, go work for Xe or Aegis or join the SEALs. Otherwise, be a proper soldier and follow orders you turd.

If Delta wants to wear Oakleys that's their business, I don't want to see them on again, hooah?
>>
>>34360028
>How can the military force you to spend your wages on gear they should be supplying?

Gunny says after arriving in country all SAW Gunners must carry 600 rounds on person. Supply only issued 2. So it was buy a third one for $25, get asschewed by gunny, or wear an entire day pack for a saw drum. I just bought the thing. Think a regular plate carriers heavy, try having 3 drums on yours too.
>>
>>34359994
If you have half & half, it might work in your favor going to CIF, since it will be a bulk thing.

Do you have duplicates of gear in different patterns? I'd print out the record of what you have as well as print out a list of what comes in the CIF Rifleman's kit. Compare and see what UCP gear you can return entirely, and then see what gear is UCP that you need to swap to OCP. Write up everything so you're organized, and make an appointment and head out.
>>
>>34360058

Cosmetics has a functional, tangible value on a car: it ensures proper and fair resale value, should the car ever need to be sold. It also ensures that your insurance company will pay you the full ACV for the car, and not deduct any amount because you drive a rag-tag patchwork shitbox made of junkyard panels.

>>34360041

Put them in their place. Tell them they're not being good officers and they need to smarten up.
>>
>>34360058
Because ones a luxury item while the other is a tool you fucking dingbat. Theyre both gonna work the same regardless, and the army isn't a fucking fashion show. Not to mention I'd be willing to bet you won't even be able to use your over priced gimmick bag most of the time on account of uniformity or unit policy.

At this point though I'm guessing you're either some straight out of AIT "got money for the first time" joe or some dress up POG, so you're going to do whatever retarded shit you want to do anyway.
>>
>>34360098

Gotta look cool for those Instagram posts.
>>
>>34360018
Like I said I saw all kinds of aftermarket daypacks. Might have been different unit culture, but as long as it was Coyote, people had their own Blackhawk or Camelbak packs.

I also presume the USMC gets unit level pre-deployment cash for unit level issue? I saw guys with issued MR trizips (coyote and even multicam) that came from their unit. So, it's kind of hard to verify that something is issued since so much aftermarket stuff gets mixed into rotation.

Now, when it comes to stateside training- I got you there. That shit can be downright autistic. I did Army JRTC shortly after deployment, and we had to go 100% GI gear even though we'd just come from Afghanistan using all kinds of neato gear .LBT, Eagle, and PIG plate carriers. MR packs. All kinds of chest rigs and panels. Etc- all got swapped out for dummy UCP FLCs and IOTVs.
>>
>>34360079
>>34360079

>Put them in their place. Tell them they're not being good officers and they need to smarten up.

You're mistaken friend, I *am* an officer and I call out my peers that do so. That being said, often times those kind of things come from "only focus on the mission" type NCOs and those guys are supposed to be trusted by us not to pull shady shit like that.
>>
>>34359760
>getting issued that piece of shit
I got issued a better pack than that and I'm a fucking maintainer for the Air Force
Get fucked army man
>>
>>34360120
Why are you replying to a troll?
>>
File: thepack.jpg (19KB, 317x355px) Image search: [Google]
thepack.jpg
19KB, 317x355px
>>34359760
The assault pack you're talking shit about is the best one I own. It's actually very rugged, and super lightweight. I also have a SPEC-OPS T.H.E. Pack in black and an older waterproof Quiksilver surfer backpack that isn't sold anymore afaik. Your pic related is still my favorite, except for the shitty camo. If you've got $200 to drop on a backpack, pic related is decent and won't tear. It's not as light or supportive as a GI assault pack though.

t. army fag
>>
File: IMG_3079.jpg (41KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3079.jpg
41KB, 240x320px
Don't buy tactical packs, they're overpriced to all shit for what you get out of them. Get a hunting or sports bag.
I'd recommend the ALPS Outdoorz dark timber.
>>
>>34360126
Of course you did. The air force is the DOEs baby so overspending and coddling galore is the name of the game. Your input isn't really valued when it comes to anything related to field craft or equipment.
>>
>>34360135
Because some guys night not see the bait as obvious, especially since the first half of his post was spot on, so I reply just in case.
>>
>>34360126
What did you get issued?
>>
>>34359760
>>34359760
Same boat.

Got issued everything in UCP and then got RFI issue and now have double of everything in OCP/Multicam. CIF will not let me turn in the old pattern, so no it wont ever happen until they actually start phasing it out and even then,it'll be frontline unit priority first.

You're going to the field so stop bitching, you'll get the glorious Medium Ruck once you deploy so just wait.
>>
File: WW2 soldier loadout.jpg (94KB, 367x799px) Image search: [Google]
WW2 soldier loadout.jpg
94KB, 367x799px
>>34360185

Why do modern soldiers need to carry so much bullshit all the time? 75 years ago they carried hardly anything, had way less support and mobility, and survived just fine.

Are modern soldiers just not as capable?
>>
>>34360165
MOLLE II medium sized Rucksack in OCP
>>
>>34360150
Says the one who will spend 4 months in Qatar and call it a combat deployment
>>
>>34360206
>>34360206
we only get those once you deploy.

>>34360205
>>34360205
I dont have to take all that shit with me. 90% of the shit I got issued sits in a toughbox inside my closet.
>>
File: IMG_20170625_132223.jpg (700KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_132223.jpg
700KB, 1536x2048px
>>34360119
I just moved so I have clean access to all my old military stuff in a box. We got issued pretty sweet gear in the US actually. Our rifles and vehicles not so much, but good personal gear.

We got "Frog" cammies and other little goodies before deployment. I have a Turret gunners jacket somewhere. Pic related were issued balaclava, and apparently I still have my isomat kek.
>>
>>34360206

So, you got issued an entirely different type of pack used for a different purpose. Neato.
>>
>>34360205
not even close to what a WWII soldier carried into combat. when the 101st jumped into Normandy there were probably carrying an average of at least 100 pounds of gear, not including the infamous leg bags.
>>
>>34360220
No, I know you all get sweet stuff. US Army that has worked alongside USMC. I was merely commenting that I've definitely seen USMC guys using personally bought aftermarket stuff to supplement their issued gear.

I know a lot of it depends on the individual unit and your circumstances (small OP vs large megaFOB) to how much aftermarket stuff you can use. And stateside training can get super retarded in forcing people to use 100% standard issued gear. Like I said, as Army we had to stop using the stuff we'd even been issued at the unit level at JRTC because it wasn't "standard issue" gear. Training environments can be dumb.
>>
>>34360220
Hey, did you get the tan deployment roller case+duffelbag combo? IIRC, those things were USMC. We got some issued by our unit in the army for Afghanistan. Those things were fucking sweet.
>>
>>34360278
>>34360278
most of the time as long as its the same color/pattern, no one across the branches really gives a shit.

it's once you start mixing colors/patterns people go wtf are you doing.

Also, you can tell who the wannabe "DELTA" are since they will stick out like a sore thumb,

Source - Am a 25U, this shit can be apparent when you visit Signal company/Bat's in the field...
>>
>>34359919
You're not required to buy anything. The army issues you more shit than you will ever use.
It just happens to be very low quality most times since it's all from the lowest bidder.

I was a medic and dropped several hundred on a new aid bag because they ones we were issued we're trash.
>>
I saw some marines in an airport with a sexy coyote assualt pavk i have no idea of the name but it had molle all over and black rubber zipper covers. It was also a bit fatter on the bottom then on the top.
>>
>>34360278
In my experience it boiled down to higher ranking oversight. In the bigger bases like Al Asad I and a buddy we're kicked out of a chow hall because our cammies were too dirty. It was after a 3 day convoy and it was a 2 star who did it.

Then I've operated in 4-5 man LPOPs and wouldn't even shave for weeks.

>>34360300
Doesn't ring a bell. I humped a couple sea bags on deployment. Then you end up condescending everything you actually need into 1, and don't see the other until the end of deployment.
>>
File: alison brie 2.jpg (657KB, 3000x2018px) Image search: [Google]
alison brie 2.jpg
657KB, 3000x2018px
>>34360332

Wow. (((They))) send you off to fight (((their))) wars, and can't even be bothered to spend a few extra shekels on proper gear.

I guess you can see how disposable (((they))) really think you are. Don't forget that Anon.
>>
>>34360315
>Also, you can tell who the wannabe "DELTA" are since they will stick out like a sore thumb

I know. The guys I saw who were the most decked out in op8or gear were Civil Affairs guys who's job was literally to tag along and pay off civilians for broken windows from explosion. Looking at them, you'd have thought they were Delta SEALs.

Funny enough, in our compound we had DOD Civilians who were all actual former SF guys who went into the field for various reasons, and those dudes carried the absolute most basic bitch M4 setups and M9 pistols. The only thing "operator" about them were Crye combat shirts (GI pants) and they had painted ACHs instead of covered. Those dudes were awesome though. They taught me so much about the M9 shooting that it totally revamped how I treated that handgun.
>>
>>34359984

No you dumb fuck he's not an airshitter now fuck off
>>
>>34360369
Actually i found it its the marine FILBE rucksack. They're brand new and expensive as shit.
>>
>>34360372
Condensing* not condescending
>>
>>34360372
>In my experience it boiled down to higher ranking oversight. In the bigger bases like Al Asad I and a buddy we're kicked out of a chow hall because our cammies were too dirty. It was after a 3 day convoy and it was a 2 star who did it.

We had an issue where an SGM with no real job was using the perimeter cameras (mounted on the blimp) to look in at the FOB and nitpick people for hands in pockets and shit. Some career military guys get fucking autistic about enforcing the regs rather than supporting an efficient combat force. (Fortunately my chain of command lost it's fucking mind when they were told of this waste of resources. )
>>
shit like this is why I love being in the Chair Force

Whatever the squadron's government purchace card holder wants, he just buys and and it's yours to keep.
I got a neato SOC 3 day pack and Lowa boots
>>
File: 21624896548117_489.jpg (61KB, 534x482px) Image search: [Google]
21624896548117_489.jpg
61KB, 534x482px
>>34360372
>Doesn't ring a bell. I humped a couple sea bags on deployment. Then you end up condescending everything you actually need into 1, and don't see the other until the end of deployment.

Pic related. They were fucking sweet. They came with a matched duffel pack you could attach to the roller bag for storage too. Great to live out of if you hopped a lot of FOBs.
>>
File: datass.jpg (86KB, 640x1138px) Image search: [Google]
datass.jpg
86KB, 640x1138px
>>34360470

I've always wondered this: is there lots of thievery in the military? Like, do you leave your duffel bag somewhere and someone just raids it and steals half your kit?

Don't you have some kind of locker to keep stuff in?
>>
>>34360470
where to cop?
>>
>>34360502
No one ever steals. People

Strategic
Transfer of
Equipment to
Alternate
Locations

For real though, it's frowned on to steal from someone in your unit. Anyone else is considered fair game.
>>
>>34360544
>it's frowned on to steal from someone in your unit

It's frowned upon to steal in general. What the fuck.

Only niggers ever steal.
>>
>>34360680
You'd think that. Unless you knew of gear checks and having to fill out missing gear reports, pay out of pocket, take a possible article 11, and take a blemish on your pros and cons for promotion.

Never said it's right, but it happens.
>>
>>34359984
you're a fucking moron, like you said you're a civilian so you wouldn't understand, fuck off.
>>
>>34359826
are you like retarded? thier is no DXing at CIF you get what you get and fuck you
>>
>>34360544
up north in the good old CAF we call it tactically acquiring
>>
>>34360009
>009 special agent

Lol, glad to see that salty fucks cruse /k/
>Now i'll know what to do when i retire.
>>
>>34360035
>love my medium ruckfu
>had murderkube patch on it during deployment for good luck
>now has wild tiger morale patch and freshly updated murderkube patch
>life is good annon
>>
>>34360059
>using the h word on an online forum for degenerates and gun fuckers

Kill yourself
>>
>>34360904
>Not realizing he's just referencing a quote from Blackhawk Down

Hello new friend.
>>
>>34360205
Shut your cockholster you shit.
Watch and learn from a historically accurate show.
They had tons of shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSsKOCAji9Y

git out
>>
>>34360502
there's only one thief in the military everyone else is just trying to get their shit back
>>
>>34360372
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCjU2xUFEo&index=16&list=PL-6e-ZX4aO-kzJw55JPm8k2O-rZ2kG129

>maj Fucking Pogeslworth
>>
>>34360763

>le tuff army grunt response

Cool, just passed BMQ I take it? Good, now you're a true OPERATOR and can talk shit to everyone.
>>
>>34360956

>the hollywood jew rendition of WWII

No thanks.
>>
>>34361149
>/pol/
go away stormfaggot
>>
>>34359760
Find out what is unit approved, and then ask your NCOs which is the best out of your options.

>>34359984

Issued equipment is not always that great, if I have to spend some money to work more comfortably, I will definitely spend money.

Bought my own boots, and was well worth it.
>>
>>34360205
>they carried hardly anything, had way less support and mobility, and survived just fine.

Uh, no! They in fact died in much higher numbers.
>>
>>34361710

That's because they were fighting superior soldiers. Nazis are far more deadly than hadjis.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.