[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten >The Sten has been des

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: Sten.jpg (18KB, 750x219px) Image search: [Google]
Sten.jpg
18KB, 750x219px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten
>The Sten has been described as: highly unreliable, prone to jamming, and inaccurate beyond 30 meters. It was unsuitable for guerrilla operations in open country because it encouraged waste of ammunition. But it was easy and cheap to produce – a gun was said to cost fifteen shillings (three quarters of a pound) – and was supplied to the (French) Resistance in huge quantities.[3]
Was it really that bad or it's just a bias of the guy writing the book the quote was taken from?
Opinions on the Sten?
>>
Gripping the magazine which may seem natural to some causes feeding issues
>>
Why are Brits entirely incapable of designing their own firearms?
>>
It's a fucking chunk of metal tube and tin plate welded together of course it's shit
>>
>>34358795
shitty but lethal

how effective are open-bolt 9mm SMGs in general?
>>
>>34358795
>The Owen has a simple blowback design, firing from an open bolt. It was designed to be fired either from the shoulder or the hip. It is easily recognisable, owing to its unconventional appearance, including the top-mounted magazine, and the side-mounted sight required to allow the firer to aim past it. The placement of the magazine allows gravity to assist the magazine spring in pushing cartridges down to the breech, which improves feeding reliability.

>Another unusual feature is the separate compartment inside the receiver, which isolates the small-diameter bolt from its retracting handle by means of a small bulkhead. This prevents dirt and mud from jamming the bolt, and makes the Owen a highly reliable weapon. Foreign dirt entering the gun would collect at the back of the receiver, where it will drain or be expelled out through a small opening.

>When tested, the Owen gun was able to continue firing despite being dipped in mud and drenched with sand, while a Sten gun and a Thompson also tested stopped functioning at once.[6] In jungle warfare where both mud and sand were frequent problems, the Owen gun was highly regarded by the soldiers.[7]

HOW CAN BRITS EVEN COMPETE?
>>
>>34358795
1. 90% of the reliability problems are more than likely attributed to the magazines and the lack of a feed ramp (I have one mag that fails to feed at all)
10% can be attributed to using the magazine as a horizontal fore-grip

2. Inaccurate beyond 30m...
Now this may be because I've converted mine to simi-auto or because tards use the magazine well as a hand hold because it is very awkward to hold, but after I learned to use the heat shroud (extremely short) I'm able to hit a 9" gong at 48m in a pistol configuration and that's the limitation of my range not the gun itself. Using the magazine as a grip point tends to sway the aim either left or right of the intended target depending on if you go elbow down (left of target) or chicken wing it (right of target)

3. unsuitable for gorilla operations in open country because it encouraged ammo waste
...push button to simi-auto fucktards
>>
>>34358858
>shitty but lethal
More accurate tagline for Glock than "Perfection".
>>
>>34358904
>3. unsuitable for gorilla operations in open country because it encouraged ammo waste
>...push button to simi-auto fucktards
Anon you missed the point. It's that uneducated guerrillas with these in their hands will get themselves killed easier and cull off their fighting force. Think black/underhanded tactics.

It's like giving some gang bangers spiked ammo. You know they're going to use it.
>>
>>34358936
implying performing gorilla tactics in open fields with uneducated forces ever working regardless of equipment...

see Syria and their ork-tanks equipped with RPG's and Ak-74's getting completely BTFO
>>
>>34358892
>the Australian government tried to avoid buying the gun and then tried to avoid paying Owen and basically harassed him to death after the war
This is not a story about the Brits being shit. It's a story about the Aussies being even shittier.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0vbrsOXQN4
>>
Most issues were magazine related.
>>
>>34358835
>Literally anything pre-1945
>>
>>34358858
Very simple, generally very reliable.

Some problems with drop safety depending on the design.
>>
This is true for most firearms

>the magazine is more likely to fail than the rest of the gun combined
>reliable magazines = reliable weapon
>>
File: IMG_1245.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1245.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>>34358795
It's a fucking open bolt smg made to be the simplest thing possible. If it's malfunctioning then it was probably user error or mag issues.
>>
File: Sten.jpg (340KB, 634x644px) Image search: [Google]
Sten.jpg
340KB, 634x644px
>>
File: Bergmann_Mp-35.jpg (42KB, 350x280px) Image search: [Google]
Bergmann_Mp-35.jpg
42KB, 350x280px
>>34358795
It is a copy of the Bergmann Maschinenpistole 35, pic related.
>>
File: 800px-Lanchester5.jpg (41KB, 800x237px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Lanchester5.jpg
41KB, 800x237px
Then came the Lancaster Mk1
>>
So then came the Sten Mk2... which has its weak points but it was designed for cheap manufacture. It was unbalanced, the magazine would jam, but these issues were solved with the Mk5 Aussie Sten and the use of copper wires inside the mag to make it a single-stack. The Mk5 was more expensive to produce than the Mk2 or Mk3. The gun could go off if dropped, but that is possible for most guns, so don't drop it.
>>
File: 1498445402459.jpg (95KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
1498445402459.jpg
95KB, 720x479px
>>34360581
>firearms designers getting bullied
This hurts me in a way i don't understand
>>
>>34360581
Like everything, it's the Aussie government being shit but its populace actually being alright

>t. Aussie expat happy to be becoming a naturalized US citizen next year
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.