[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm still amazed at how the Brits could have lost Singapore.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Singapore-Battle-Map-Color.jpg (159KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Singapore-Battle-Map-Color.jpg
159KB, 720x480px
I'm still amazed at how the Brits could have lost Singapore. They had 140k troops vs 70 Japanese not to mention 12k! trucks. They should be able to supply fighting troops day and night and if combat units got a bit low on men, they had like tens of thousands of useless bakers/mechanics/transport handlers that they could give a gun to and off to battle.

Did British lose just because Percival was a wuss?
>>
>>34349744
Bad intelligence.
"Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head." - Euripides
>>
Singapore's fresh water supply was piped from the mainland.
>it still is
Strategic genius
>>
>>34349790
OP here.

Indeed. But in this case you set up defence perimeter around it and name it last stand. This IS last stand. There is no manoeuvring around it. What the fuck were Brits thinking?
>>
>>34349744

Surprise, a bad commander and all attention being elsewhere in the world pretty much.

That and a large portion of the troops the British had in Singapore at the time weren't actually British and hardly qualified to be counted in the same way in levels of capability. Not to mention that records generally vastly underestimate the size of the Japanese force there to try and make some weird point.
>>
Japan had like 600 to 50 aircraft advantage.
>>
>>34349795
>Die of thirst after 3 days maximum to give a bong 70 years later a boner over pointless last stands
How about no.
>>
>>34349749
Led and head rime in ancient Greek? Or is it just a coincidence?
>>
>>34349987
>Instead die of starvation/malaria/dysentery building a railroad across Burma
>>
>>34349998
It was in the early days of war so they didn't know what Japs would be like to PoWs.
>>
>>34349993
It's only attributed to him, but I would think not.
kεφαλή (kephalē) is head in ancient greek
and the verb to lead would be ἄγω (ágō)

Anyway, it could be arranged to rhyme and still have the meaning, but I've never seen where that quote came from so I have no idea how it was meant exactly in Greek. Someone was probably just being cute and slapped his name on it.

t. someone who studied Ancient Greek for 2 years
>>
>>34350024
nerd
>>
>>34349998
Yet still a better fate than dying of thirst.
>>
>>34350029
ἐρώμενος
>>
colonial & garrison troops suck
what a surprise

This is going to cost the US massively some time, their imported immigrant troops refusing to fight or outright joining the enemy.
>>
File: InfBike7_opt.jpg (35KB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
InfBike7_opt.jpg
35KB, 400x254px
>>34349744
They couldn't stand up to the might of the Japanese mobile infantry.
>>
>>34350329
>muh 8th division
>muh aif
>>
>>34349795
Problem was, the japs were expected to come directly by sea. So defenses focused towards the south rather than the north. Defensive positions along the straits were only started a few days before malaysia fell IIRC.
>>
>>34349744
nips on bicycles.

Thousands of nips on bicycles
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.