[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does an AR-15 do that a battle rifle or an auto shotgun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

what does an AR-15 do that a battle rifle or an auto shotgun can't do?
>>
>>34337790
Allows you to carry more rounds
>>
Hold 30 rounds in a manageable magazine.
>>
I miss squid
>>
Sega does what Nintendon't
>>
>>34337812

why would you need 30 rounds per mag with semi-auto? Isn't it better to have a more powerful round?
>>
>>34337826
No, exactly the opposite. Round count beats most things.
>>
>>34337826
why would u need a slightly bigger round
isn't it better to have a more controllable weapon
>>
>>34337790
All of them.
>>
>>34337826
Studies of firefights from WW2 on showed that the winning side was, more often than not, the side that spent more bullets.
>>
the scar 16 doesn't offer much over a good ar15, however the SCAR 17 is one of the best .308 rifles ever.
>>
>>34337851
>>34337873

if you need more than 30 rounds of 223, you would've wished you had either a better armor penetrator or a p90
>>
>>34337790
>higher capacity
>lighter
>less expensive to buy
>less expensive to shoot
>unbeatable aftermarket
>ergos better in most cases
>lighter recoil
>more controllable/more rounds on target for same amount of time
>more range than shotgun
>more accurate than shotgun
>>
>>34337909

CQB, shotgun is probably better. Longer ranges, the battle rifle is better. Why the AR? The SCAR17 is about as light as any AR-15
>>
Are talking in respect to civilian ownership or military/ law enforcement usage?
>>
File: Trollface.jpg (27KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
Trollface.jpg
27KB, 540x405px
If the fight is in the 30 feet or under range, I think a semi auto 12 with buck is tough to beat
>>
>>34337826
>>34337905
>>34337967
Jesus Christ, the summer noguns is strong in this one
>>
>>34338021
Christ alive, I'm a noguns myself but even I understand why the AR is so damn popular.
>>
>>34337873
ok but thats a war with tremendous amounts of replaceable men on both sides. for most home invasion and shit hits the fan scenarios wouldnt you basically be in a very fast gun fight with very limited expandable human resources?
>>
>>34337909
how much of this is determined by the market? IE more people buy ARs so ARs and 5.56 is cheaper?
>>
>>34338087
Refer to >>34337909 for a list of why the AR is better in almost all combat scenarios
>>
>>34337790
Be lightweight and have a high capacity
>>
File: 1497602568162.jpg (405KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1497602568162.jpg
405KB, 1836x3264px
Because why would you carry a shotgun and a battle rifle when you can just carry an ar15? It's a jack of all trades. Yes, a battle rifle is better at long range. Yes, a shotgun is better at short. But more often than not, a soldier has to be prepared for more than just one or the other.
>>
>>34337790
Scare liberals and leftist lawmakers.
>>
>>34337790
>Works over wider variety of ranges
>High velocity round shoot super flat at mid range. Don't have to consider drop inside of 250 meters
>Lighter ammo means you can carry shitloads of it
>Can be used for sustained suppressing fire
>Can be sprayed in CQB
>Lightweight
>Low recoil
>Good accuracy
>Endless customization
>Extremely easy to maintain
>Extremely easy to build
>Extremely modular platform that can be adapted to any situation by swapping the upper

Guns are heavy, by the way. Nobody's going to carry a 7.62 skull-fucker AND a 12 gauge for tacticool CQB ops. ARs are good enough at both, no need to 1000% minimax shit.
>>
>>34337790

vs. "Buttel riful"
>Lighter
>Less recoil
>Less overpen risk
>Fragmenting projectile (Depending on exact loads)
>Lighter, more compact ammunition
>Much, much larger magazines (Looking at you D60 and Surefire 60) without being awkward

vs. Shotgun
>Muh Accuracy
>Much higher capacity generally (Drum feeding saigas excepted)
>Muh capacity to defeat soft armor and some hard armor, while still being comparable in overpen risk with 00 buck and slugs
>Generally much better sights
>Lighter
>Less bulky

Basically, what huge advantage does either have that negates the advantages vs. an AR?
>>
>>34337812
>a battle rifle can't hold 30 round magazines
wut
>>
>>34338747
>manageable magazine
Fucking reading comprehension, right?
>>
File: DSC08483.jpg (259KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08483.jpg
259KB, 1024x768px
>>34337790

>squidguns

heh

I shot all those rifles.
>>
>>34338061

Because it's the Jack of all trades. Great for HD because it can be shorter than a shotgun, less recoil so your wife or child could use it, more rounds than a shotgun could dream of. It's lethal with the right barrel length and ammo at range. Not as good as a battle rifle at extended ranges BUT you have more rounds to put at or on your target. It's not as good as a powerful as a 12 gauge at hallway distance but you've got more than 1 shot and a pump, it's not as lethal as a SCAR17 at 600 yards but the ammo is lighter and will get the job done at closer ranges. Pushing 300 if you do your part
>>
>>34337967

hurr durr lemme carry a heavy ass shotgun and ammo and a scar17 and split their ammo in half on my body
>>
>>34338142
Yeah not an AR fan but well put.

If on the other hand you're thinking about your own space, it's reasonable to get a shotgun and a battle rifle and use whichever makes sense.
>>
>BR
Be lightweight, extremely high capacity, carry more ammo on ones person, and have zero recoil.
>autoshotgat
Reach out past 50m, carry more than 8 shots.
>>
>>34337790
Get more military and police contracts.
>>
>>34338018
Your gf is kinda cute
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.