[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for a flintlock musket. I'm between the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: Pat_404.jpg (112KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
Pat_404.jpg
112KB, 1280x536px
I'm looking for a flintlock musket. I'm between the Brown Bess and a Kentucky rifle. Any advice?
>>
Kentucky rifle.
More history and significance behind it. Also, 'merica
>>
>>34332489
>Kentucky rifle
Is not a musket. But I would go with that anyway.
>>
>>34332543
>>34332562
Do you guys know if the traditions one is any good?
>>
>>34332604
Nope, sorry. Haven't bought anything from them, but just looking at their site and skimming online reviews they look legit.
>>
>>34332604
I've heard the kit isn't perfect but if you are decent and making stuff you will get by, not sure about accuracy but if say it's no less than any complete rifle you can pick up.
>>
>>34332604
I'd also say do the traditions route if your in it for the feel of black powder/ sense of history. No mass production back then meant no rifle was identical, just like yours would be. Can make it your own and all that.

If you want a piece to put on your mantle I would say get a complete
>>
>>34332635
>>34332636
>>34332695

Thanks guys. The only problem with the kit is that the barrel comes in the white. Otherwise I'd definitely do that route.
>>
>>34333126
It's really not that had to do a decent-tier hot bluing, just buy some bluing, heat up the metal with a blowtorch, and apply it bit by bit. It's honestly one of the least difficult parts of building the rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4amMK89DXY
>>
>>34333204
Yeah, it looks like it. I didn't realize so much fitting work had to be done on these kits.
>>
>>34333250
Yeah, if you're not looking to spend a bit of time and effort to make the gun than it certainly isn't the best option unless you're willing to shell out a bit extra to have a gunsmith build it for you.
>>
>>34332489
http://www.therifleshoppe.com check out their catalog. I've been wanting a 1740 Potsdam musket for a while now
>>
>>34332604
I have the Traditions Shenandoah .50 that I take out a couple of times a year.

BP is loads of fun, especially in low light, and even soccer moms don't freak when I bring it to the 4th of July town picnic.

I'd love to get my hands on a Bess, but personally, I'd go for the Kentucky - especially if you're getting the kit.
>>
>>34332489
>Kentucky Rifle.
Historically speaking there is no such thing.
>>
Interesed in the kentucky kit. Just feel like it's a bit short. Tfw no 40" barrel

another anon here
>>
File: 1453531513258.jpg (50KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1453531513258.jpg
50KB, 512x512px
>>34333435
Pic is you right now. No one cares. We all know what he means.
>>
>>34332489
Kentucky rifle obviously.
Before today I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question.
>>
>>34332489
>I'm looking for a flintlock musket. I'm between the Brown Bess and a Kentucky rifle. Any advice?

Enfield 1853
>>
>>34332489
2 band enfield 1853
AN IX Musket
Baker rifle

Go to IMA
>>
>>34334751
>AN IX
I want a Charleville but I can't find anywhere that sells them. Any options besides Pedersoli?
>>
File: you serious1.jpg (2KB, 124x98px) Image search: [Google]
you serious1.jpg
2KB, 124x98px
>>34332562
>Is not a musket
>a muzzle loading shoulder fired gun is not a musket
>>
>>34335476

He is correct.

A muzzle-loading shoulder fired gun without rifling is what most people know as a musket.

A muzzle-loading shoulder fired gun with rifling is just a rifle, not a musket.

There have historically been "rifle-muskets" during the Civil War and such, but those are really just rifles given the colloquial name for a military firearm of the time.
>>
>>34335516
>There have historically been "rifle-muskets"
well there you go

rifle-gun is also a thing
>>
>>34332489

Dixie Gun Works has the Traditions Kentucky rifle on sale at the moment. Traditions isn't the highest quality, sometimes parts are shaped a little wonky and the fit and finish isn't the best, but they get the job done. Good introductory rifle for someone new to black powder in general and flintlocks in particular. I have one, and a .45-cal Traditions percussion pistol; they're nothing amazing, but they are fun to shoot and I've never had any serious issues with either.

Myself, I like the Pedersoli Potsdam musket; .75-cal, smoothbore, flintlock. VERY nice gun. But you're gonna pay upwards of $1,000 for it, whereas a Traditions musket/rifle is less than half that.

Just remember that black powder is extremely corrosive, do your research on how to properly clean your musket and have all the tools and supplies you need BEFORE you take it out to shoot it.
>>
>>34332489
You should watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7YxRZfkGBI&t
>>
>>34333350
Reenactor here!
I've carried one in the field as a Hessian Grenadier for 20 years. Mutch heavier than a second model Brown Bess. The balance is different as well.
Mine was made from Rifle Shop parts by a member of our unit.
>>
File: FR3105.jpg (21KB, 798x160px) Image search: [Google]
FR3105.jpg
21KB, 798x160px
My pedersoli Kentucky long rife is beautiful mines a 50 with caps bought from dixi my first black powder rifle I was scared as fuck and not used to the 1 sec between the literally hair set trigger pull and when it goes off but I hit the box I was aiming at at 25 yards
>>
>>34335572
A musket (in the time period implied by OP) is generally a long arm of sufficient length and sturdiness that, with a bayonet attached, it can serve as a pike. A rifle musket is a rifle of musket length. Rifles by themselves are never muskets, especially not the light American rifles of the Kentucky style which were way too structurally weak to be used as a melee weapon.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.