[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /k/, give me non-obvious gun usage tips that you learned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

File: vst7KlgypPM.jpg (55KB, 455x720px) Image search: [Google]
vst7KlgypPM.jpg
55KB, 455x720px
Hey, /k/, give me non-obvious gun usage tips that you learned over your career.
>>
Never listen to /k/ about anything related to weapons or militaria.
Always listen to /k/ about anything related to gay sex or fursuits.
>>
A spent shotgun shell holds the AK trigger springs perfectly when installing/removing the FCG.
>>
Delaware is a good place to have sex with men
>>
>>34320896

Never let your wife learn how to shoot. 50/50 she will be your ex wife one day.
>>
File: AP_96032201871_1.jpg (503KB, 1984x1584px) Image search: [Google]
AP_96032201871_1.jpg
503KB, 1984x1584px
>>34320964

You don't need to own a gun in order to be an expert on guns.
>>
File: A2-Grip-Blck-2.jpg (57KB, 611x633px) Image search: [Google]
A2-Grip-Blck-2.jpg
57KB, 611x633px
>>34320896
ring finger goes here
try it and learn to love the thing youve always hated.
>>
>>34323380
I don't think /k needs to worry about the whole wife thing.
>>
>>34323439
I can kinda agree, but I do have a conditional:

I believe you must have physically manipulated guns to have expert understanding of them.
>>
>>34323522
Still using index for trigger, where does middle finger go?
>>
>>34324140
on the trigger
>>
>>34324199
So, 2 fingers on trigger, or does index just ride the outside of the lower?
>>
>>34323522
just tried this.

I get what you're saying, but my muscle memory just doesn't work with it.

I'm trying to drop mag to pull trigger and other such things involving using my fingers wrong.
>>
>>34324140
Fully extended so you're constantly giving everyone at the range the finger.
>>
>>34323522
I thought that was common sense, you can't really pit your ringer finger anywhere else unless you have tiny hands.
>>
File: IMG_4094.jpg (137KB, 673x697px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4094.jpg
137KB, 673x697px
#6 drywall anchors (pic related) are great .22lr snap caps, and some rifles will even feed/cycle them
>>
File: 1442861789799.jpg (34KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
1442861789799.jpg
34KB, 599x449px
>>34320964
>>
>>34325449
Oh shit, thanks! I've got a revolver I love fingerfucking but the hammer breaks snap caps like nobodies business, and them shits are expensive.
>>
>>34325624

You're welcome Anon

They don't work as well in some guns because the extractor tears the rim off. For revolvers they are great.
>>
You can disassemble a toploading ak drum mag with a single round of
X54r
The ejection port on a tokarev can be used to open a beer.
The transfer bar on a nuggets bolt can be used to adjust your firing pin when re-assembling your bolt
>>
>>34324140
inbetween triggerguard and ringfinger it doesnt really touch the pistol grip
>>
>>34325449
holy shit thats genius woulda never thought of that
>>
>>34325147
your confusing ring and middle
the majority of people have middle above the hump and ring and pinky below it.
this is an alternate hold that doesnt seem like it should work but once you get used to it its great.
>>
File: 20170621_202609.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
20170621_202609.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
In a pinch, a spent 45acp casing can be used as a 1911 recoil spring plug
>>
File: 1498075224768.jpg (76KB, 797x633px) Image search: [Google]
1498075224768.jpg
76KB, 797x633px
>>34324230
middle is under triggerguard on top of ring. for a higher grip on the gun. you still use index to pull the trigger.
>>
File: IMI_UZI_pistol_converting_1.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMI_UZI_pistol_converting_1.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>34326169
I know and really love that fact

>>34320896
the Uzi pistol isn't based on the Micro Uzi
it's the other way around
>>
>>34326198
I gotchu now famalampaidesukun
>>
>>34325449
noice
>>
File: slide safety kinda hurts.jpg (24KB, 400x273px) Image search: [Google]
slide safety kinda hurts.jpg
24KB, 400x273px
You can tap the slide release out with your mag on an 'ol full sized Jericho 941 to start taking it apart
>>
File: 15z_CZ75B9mm_L_91102_01102.png (526KB, 1920x1435px) Image search: [Google]
15z_CZ75B9mm_L_91102_01102.png
526KB, 1920x1435px
>>34328165

works for the cz-75 too
>>
>>34320896

Punch the gun towards the target as you fire to boost momentum for extra damage.
>>
>>34320964
What if the gay sex includes weapons?
>>
>>34320896
Don't use the same round in the chamber every day on your cc gun. While a few times does nothing repeatedly chambering one round every day can push the bullet into the case and cause over pressure issues including a KB
>>
>>34320896
Don't pull the trigger until the hole at the boom end is lined up with the hole at the tip of your dick.
>>
>>34329045
Stick it in the chamber by hand and slap the slide forward.*

*may break your extractor
>>
>>34326073
>The ejection port on a tokarev can be used to open a beer.
Just tried this, beer everywhere. Never again will I open a can of beer that's been in my dishwasher
>>
>>34320896
A gun light mounted to a handgun is going to get soot all over the lens and be useless after a mag or two. Put a layer of oil/grease over it so it's easily wiped off. If it happens in a gunfight and you need your light lick your finger a wipe it.

Don't train standing in one spot at the range. I used to do this and when going through police academy we did realistic shooting scenarios and guess what I did? Froze up and stood in one spot like I had always done. This is called a training scar. Get out and train to shoot and move and utilize nearby cover.

Rest your thumbs on the top part of the frame of the gun where it meets the slide. It won't hinder the action and it helps mitigate recoil. Also if you ever pick up a gun with a safety your thumb will naturally rest right on top of it, thus turning it off without realizing it.

Always carry in a holster that has some form of active retention. You don't want your gun to fall out during a fight or whole running. Don't ask me how I know this.

Learn to shoot good one handed, you may not always have time or space to sandwich your hands together.

Night sights are shit and blind you when actually used at night. Keep a light on any gun you plan to actually use because NEWSFLASH you should actually identify a target before killing it and not just shoot into darkness.
>>
>>34329278
>Rest your thumbs on the top part of the frame of the gun where it meets the slide. It won't hinder the action and it helps mitigate recoil
Love doing this. Shot like shit until my inlaws showed me what the real deal was.
>>
>>34329045
Keep the fucking gun chambered, and get a gun with a better loaded chamber indicator than the little sliver that Glock puts on it. I have to trust my life to that tiny sliver every day because my department forces me to carry a POS glock, because if I chamber check it everyday it'll fuck up the round as you said. There's also no front serrations to perform a proper chamber check. Duty gun my ass.
>>
>>34329350
Never thought of doing it until it became a necessity when shooting .40. I didn't know other people taught it, I just thought "man I wish there was a way to thumb over bore grip a handgun." This method is close, the only downside is if you forget to tilt your rear thumb upward you'll press down on the slide release, negating the slide stop on last round feature.
>>
>>34329395
>you'll press down on the slide release, negating the slide stop on last round feature
have had this happen. Thought my gun was broken because I instinctively pulled the trigger upon seeing the slide return to battery. Then realized it was just bad placement of my thumbs. Spooked the fuck out of me at first.
>>
>>34329278
The safety makes an excellent thumb rest.
Use it in this manner.
It's part of why I like firearms with manual safeties.
I rarely use the safety but they improve my already terrible shooting.
>>34320896
Sights can, in a pinch, usually be used to rack a pistol slide.

Knowing exactly how your pistol works and if it does or does not have a free floated firing pin is actually a really fucking big deal.

The more thought is required for an action the more fun it usually is.
Straight pull, bolt, and oddball shit like toggle action is about the maximum amount of fun possible in a rifle and revolvers are almost always more fun than semi autos.
Note this does NOT factor practicality in.

A lot of expensive ammo has a weaker more common cousin you can use to plunk with.
For instance.
.357 magnum has .38 special.
.454 Casull has .45 LC.
.44 magnum has .44 special (not really cheaper) and a few others
7.62 RFN and .308
5.56 and .223

The list goes on.

Also, proportionally, the cheaper a surplus gun is the harder ammo will be to find for it. Remember this when hunting through pawn shops.

Bubba is bubba; some sins cannot be atoned for.

Pistols are best trained for at a pistol range; trying to practice with both pistols and rifles usually leads to you sucking with both (I've been shooting a long while and only just started improving; I only ever went to the rifle range and that was my problem)
ALWAYS make time for your CC piece at a range day. Even if it's only a box of ammo and two mags. Make it convenient to just drop by and put a mag through. Include a cleaning kit in your car, as well as a small target and some oil.
>>
cut down 3/4" lag bolts can be stuffed into shotgun shells and will act like fletchettes, and if you cut them right, they'll cycle.
>>
>>34329453
>Sights can, in a pinch, usually be used to rack a pistol slide.

You can also use the edge of your boot while crouching to catch the sights and rack it. This even works on snag free sights.

"Snag free" rear sights (shaped like ramps) make racking from the belt difficult if not impossible to do. The solution is to take a dremel and file off the ramp so they're flat like Glock sights (if the attachment point into the slide isn't in the front).

Also Glock plastic sights are known to break if you practice racking from your belt, or worse, when you actually need to do a belt rack in a gun fight. In a pinch, you can then rack a gun with your teeth. Your dentist will love you for buying him that new boat, but at least you'll be alive and have killed the fucker trying to kill you.
>>
>>34329584
>Glock plastic sights

Another word of wisdom, REPLACE THESE. Sights are too important to rely on plastic ones. I recommend fiber optic sights. As I said above night sights wash out your night vision when it's actually dark. Standard sights can be difficult to see in the dark and you pretty much only get a silhouette of them when shining a light at your enemy (unless you use this awesome method*). With fiber optics usually enough lights bounces off from where you're shining your gun light and they shine letting you get a good sight picture.

*Awesome lighting method: hold the gun in your dominant hand and a flashlight in your non-dominant, make a fist like you would typically hold a flashlight above your shoulder. Place your fist along your jaw. The light turns when your head turns instinctively, and lights up your sights when the gun is held out in front of you. The only concern is if the bad guy shoots at your light... In that case I recommend switching between that method and the FBI method of holding the flashlight away from your body.

Some recommend using your light sparingly so the bad guy can't see you. Others recommend during building clearing to never turn off your light, because the bad guy has been sitting in there long enough for his eyes to adjust to the dark giving him the edge over you in darkness, and has likely taken a good vantage point and will fire into the dark if he hears you. You decide which tactic is better for the situation at hand.
>>
File: 1480264874602.gif (993KB, 300x154px) Image search: [Google]
1480264874602.gif
993KB, 300x154px
>>34324137
Can confirm.

It's easy to tell when someone hasn't handled a gun before, or uses them only rarely.

That said, who here does regular drills with their weapons? How often do you do it, what's your routine?
>>
>>34320964
first best post post.
>>
File: 1487069401438.jpg (39KB, 359x473px) Image search: [Google]
1487069401438.jpg
39KB, 359x473px
>dryfire is free and you can practice pretty much everything from draws, transitions, reloads, malfunction clearances, going into different positions, transitioning from target to target all without firing a single shot
>pistol-training has a huge list of different drills you can do at the range, most of them involving only a few rounds to be used but you can get a lot out of these simple drills
>a shot timer and range journal will be extremely beneficial in tracking progress and giving you motiviation to going to shoot
>keep a handheld flashlight in your hands at all times when out in the dark
>you can use high visibility orange paint on stock front sights and black out the rears with a sharpie in order to have budget contrast sights that work better than 3 dot white sights
>3x5 cards and B8 bullseyes are fantastic targets to practice on as they are small and closely replicate the size of a t- zone of a human and the high thoracic cavity, two very important places to hit when using firearm in self defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_GUYgKJOrs
>>
>>34329278
>>34329350

Pardon my ignorance but if you rest your thumbs on the point where the frame meets the slide wouldnt it increase the risk of jamming by impeding the slide with the pressure of your thumb?
>>
>>34330425
Your force presses mostly down not towards the slide. In fact I just checked and I don't out any force on the slide at all, I barely touch it on my Glock and on my FNS I don't touch it at all because it has the safety and the takedown lever to rest on. It's never caused a malfunction for me other than the slide not locking back if I'm on the slide stop (only happens with my Glock because they put the thing way too far back). It doesn't work on some guns at all like my LC9s, there's no material sticking out. I think most metal frame handguns are like that but poly frames usually have additional material to rest the thumbs on.
>>
>>34323380
So it reduces the odds of divorce?
>>
>>34330665
If only because she murders you instead of divorcing you, then yes.
>>
>>34320896
shooting holes in sheet metal is sometimes just more handy.

large diameter is usually helpful but for $1/slug it's sometimes more economical to use a 7.62x39 and shoot several holes or .45 ACP
>>
>>34326208

Wait what. Micro was made before the Uzi?
>>
How much concious thought you put into pulling the trigger? I just realised that I was thinking way too much.
>>
File: IMG_0289.png (500KB, 712x714px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0289.png
500KB, 712x714px
>>34323522

I've never had the slightest issue with the A2 grip. I actually thought it was some meme to complain about the hump until I heard people bitch IRL.

You know what I noticed about the people who complained? They were all manlets. With small hands.
>>
>>34326198
Why all the extra handle for?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.