[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a 50 caliber lever gun be the ultimate home defense rifle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: spike driver.jpg (71KB, 775x335px) Image search: [Google]
spike driver.jpg
71KB, 775x335px
Would a 50 caliber lever gun be the ultimate home defense rifle? A 350 grain bullet has a sectional density of only .2, so I doubt it would over-penetrate, especially if you use a hollowpoint.
>>
.45-70 is already a thing.
So is 12 gauge for that matter.
>>
>>34314205
why not just use a shotgun and slugs
>>
>>34314230
>>34314233
500 is bigger than 458. To be fair, a shotgun slug would be even bigger, but I've always liked rifles more than smoothbores for some reason. I can't say why.
>>
File: IMG_20170620_232512.jpg (588KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170620_232512.jpg
588KB, 2048x1536px
>>34314280
Eh, because you didn't get culturally enriched by smoothbore diversity
>>
File: 12lb45-70.jpg (28KB, 494x659px) Image search: [Google]
12lb45-70.jpg
28KB, 494x659px
>not using double barrel 45-70
>>
>>34314205
>lever gun
>home defense
There is literally no reason for this. You worry abput overpenetration too much. Youre either going to use something that will overpenetrate the average wall or wont reliably kill a man.
>>
ARs are already a thing. Ya, I know, your autism is about ready to boil over at hearing the boring answer, but an easy shooter that provides quick followup shots that will put multiple rounds in the problem with a higher likelyhood of being well placed is the boring but realistic answer.

Enjoy your summer break from school.
>>
>>34314461
Only if you miss.
>>34314481
>higher likelyhood of being well placed
Why? Is 500 S&W inherently inaccurate?
>>34314481
>put multiple rounds in the problem
Why use multiple small bullets when one big bullet would do the job?
>>
>>34314629
>Reeeee the post

Follow up shots matter. Those follow up shots have a higher chance of being well placed out if a rifle even my niece can handle.
And your second question is answered by the first. Assuming you just need one big bullet is also assuming you won't miss, or, won't hit a point that will drop the meth-head breaking into your house. It's the same fudd logic that makes old idiots say "if I need more than 3 rounds to defend myself, I deserve to die." It's retarded. The only sure fire thing that INSTANTLY drops someone is a well placed hit to the CNS.

You are not smarter than the last century of arms development and expertise.
>>
>>34314749
Assuming you will hit a point that will drop the Meth head*
>>
>>34314629
>Only if you miss.
No, a round can easily go through a person, a couple layers of drywall, and part way into another person. Even if it didnt, its retarded to expect 100% accuracy in a hd scenario
>>
>>34314785
A bullet with low sectional density is less likely to do that, as it decelerates more while in the body.
>>34314766
Sounds like you're advocating spray and pray marksmanship.
>>34314749
>Those follow up shots have a higher chance of being well placed out if a rifle even my niece can handle
Why? Recoil doesn't make a shot less accurate.
>>34314749
>You are not smarter than the last century of arms development and expertise.
Arms development has to balance competing interests for different types of consumers.
>>
Daily reminder that the M1 Carbine is literally the best option for home defensive
>>
>>34314983
Oh, nevermind, this is shit b8. That or you're 14 with delusions of being an operator.

Sage
>>
>>34314983
>A bullet with low sectional density is less likely to do that, as it decelerates more while in the body.
It takes practically no energy to penetrate drywall. If it leaves the body or misses, its going through the wall. Accept it as a necessary risk because there is no magical bullet that will kill a person but not go through drywall and kill a person.
>>
>>34315078
>If it leaves the body or misses
Those two situations are very different. If it misses altogether, it's going very fast. If it has to travel through the body first, then it will be traveling very slow by the time it leaves.
>>
>>34315182
You overestimate the strength of drywall. Do some research and you eill see that even a relatively slow moving piece of metal can penetrate it.
>>
>>34315331
This. I accidentally put my foot through drywall without even trying. I swear, the Box of Truth should be stickied for these kinds of questions.
>>
>>34314205
>shoot through every stud in your house
>literally destroy the home you are "defending"
HP handgun ammo or no. 4 buck are the only viable home defense weapons
>>
>>34316160

Oh hey it's this retard.
>>
Sure, you could spend $1500 bucks on that lever gun, or spend $200 on a pump shotgun and shoot 1 oz slugs.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.