[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would one go about setting up a very lightweight SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1496063871132.jpg (123KB, 345x657px) Image search: [Google]
1496063871132.jpg
123KB, 345x657px
How would one go about setting up a very lightweight SHTF bag and loadout?
>>
>>34311847
What sort of SHTF and why aren't you bugging in?
>>
>>34311859
Because I live in an urban area. Any sort, really, but realistically either societal collapse (government shutdown) or natural disaster.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXU5GtVrHxGdJaQRtKykGZw/videos
This guy has some vids on lightweight gear if you want ideas
>>
>>34311881
Ok well what is your plan
>>
>>34311935
Probably fuck off to the mountains. I live in VA, so its never too far to the nearest mountain.
>>
>>34312016
Well you want lightweight but if you are talking SHTF you will need gear and you will either have to carry it or have it stored at your Destination so which would you prefur
>>
>>34312016
>Probably fuck off to the mountains
I went camping this last Memorial Day weekend and that experience alone showed me that this would be an absolutely horrible idea.
>>
>>34312031
Carry it.
>>34312058
Why's that? Too cold, or another reason?
>>
ziplock bag tapped to the inside of your toilet tank with a derringer ranger 2 .357.

SHTF pull the gun out and shoot yourself.

light as it gets
>>
>>34311847
What do you mean by SHTF bag? There's nothing as a SHTF bag. If SHTF a bag won't be enough as you need plenty equipment. You need water, food, fuel, medical supplies, tools, shelter, etc.
>>
File: 4bnSnTM.png (289KB, 545x580px) Image search: [Google]
4bnSnTM.png
289KB, 545x580px
>>34311881
You're fucked. Accept that fact or move. A fully stocked Bug out bag will last a week tops and is only meant to get you to your secondary location.

If you want a very lightweight SHTF bag then you better pray you have a safe haven within a days walk.
>>
>>34312086
If you want to carry it it won't be light and it won't last you very long.

And before you go there, living off the land is retarded so we will just wipe that off the table, I don't care how much your scout leader/father touched you in the woods.
>>
>>34312086
the moutnains were crawling with people, every campsite, every spot around every lake river and pond was just swarmed. If you are going to bug out it is going to have to far far away form any large urban center or metroplex because there will be at least half a million people with the same idea as you.
>>
>>34312113
Under rated post. Fuckin lol
>>
>>34311847
By going on camping trips with too much shit for a few days and figuring out what you needed and what was dead weight, and constantly repeating this until you find the perfect balance of stuff you actually need on top of developing the skills you'll need to survive innawoods during the best situation where a fuck up won't kill you instead of trying to figure shit out in the worst situation where a fuck up will be the end of you.
>>
Look into the ultra light backpackers. They carry very little and the most light weight stuff they can. Map your route so you can plan water refill points instead of trying to carry enough to get where you are going. Same with potential choke points so you can avoid potential ambushes and carry less ammo. Get fit so you can move quick and quiet.
>>
>>34311847
By figuring out what you need to do, where you need to go, how you're going to get there, and how long it's going to take. Then you figure out the bare minimum of gear and supplies that will allow you to accomplish the doing and going.

That being said, lets do a 30 second review of the purpose of a BOB; it needs to keep you fed, hydrated, sheltered, secure, patched up, and in touch for up to 72 hours while you're displacing from an untenable situation to a pre-planned and pre-selected bug out location.

Everything you put into a BOB has to be there to meet a clearly identified need. You're urban, so a machete would be pointless. An Estwing roofing hatchet, on the other hand, would serve a multitude of functions. Do not add something just for the tacticool factor. Do not pack 800 rounds for (insert long arm choice here). This ain't a movie, you're not going to be engaging in running gun battles. Go with a CC sidearm, 4 extra mags, and 2 spare boxes of ammo.

Think about resupply points, and alternatives, and substitutes for what you need to restock. Carry $100 in 1s and 5s to pick up a couple of liters of bottled water a couple of times a day.

Do not look like you're ready to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, that's how you make a target of yourself. Think more of a messenger bag under an oversized generic jacket, one with lots of pockets. The rest of your stuff goes in the pockets.

And so on.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.