[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/, /o/ here. Building my first AR-15 and I bought a palmetto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1456290093359.jpg (47KB, 583x438px) Image search: [Google]
1456290093359.jpg
47KB, 583x438px
Hello /k/, /o/ here. Building my first AR-15 and I bought a palmetto state armory complete upper assembly on sale for 250 bucks and a complete buffer assembly. Problem is is that I wasn't aware that there were different gas systems for 16 inch barrel guns, and I ended up with a carbine length gas system which is apparently worse than the mid length gas system for a gun with a 16 inch barrel, and I don't know if my 3 ounce "carbine" buffer would be ideal anymore. Probably just going to keep the upper as the price was definitely right but I don't know if I need a different buffer now. Would an H2 buffer be better?
>>
>>34309830
>I ended up with a carbine length gas system which is apparently worse than the mid length gas system for a gun with a 16 inch barrel

This is negligible. Sure, a midlength shoots a bit smoother than a carbine length but again, this is negligible. The military has been using carbine length for decades and it works very well. I own a 16 inch midlength but I would have no qualms of having being issued a 16 inch carbine gun like a 6920.

I would worry more about the actual quality of your build components and how everything is put together.
>>
>>34309887
>I would worry more about the actual quality of your build components and how everything is put together.
Not really worried about that. Reviews are good for the upper assembly and it's only going to be used a few times a year for plinking.
>>
final bump
>>
File: 6c2d92a9.jpg (86KB, 662x687px) Image search: [Google]
6c2d92a9.jpg
86KB, 662x687px
>>34309830
>Would an H2 buffer be better?
It depends on your individual rifle. If it's overgassed, increase the buffer weight incrementally until ejection is perfect. If ejection is at 3 or 4 o'clock, leave it be.

People worry way too much about buffer weights. Unless you want a perfectly tuned gas system, it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
File: ImadeThis.png (157KB, 436x1380px) Image search: [Google]
ImadeThis.png
157KB, 436x1380px
>>34309830
>>
>>34310050
Thank you, that's perfect.
>>34310062
I live in Commiefornia so it wasn't that simple for me. It's a featureless build so I'm putting it together with the stupid hammerhead grip from a stripped lower.
>>
>>34309887
>The military has been using carbine length for decades and it works very well.
With a 14.5" barrel that maintains the port-muzzle dwell distance of the rifle length gas system on a 20" barrel. It is still negligible, though. You'll be fine, OP.
>>
>>34310093
it was posted more as a joke.
upload pics
>>
>>34310050

This m8. Other indication of over gas is if you hear a loud springy sound in your buffer tube like your spring and buffer are smashing against the end of the tube. It's normal to hear a bit of spring but if sounds like hitting you're damaging shit.

If you get a heavier buffer, to check if it's under gassed, you can also buy a cheap box of steel cased 223 and another of hotter 5.56x45. If the 5.56 runs in the gun but the 223 won't cycle (will typically short stroke and the BCG will scrape the shit out of the round below it in the mag) you know it's under gassed. Also, you can try different ways of holding the gun. If you closely hold it not against your shoulder it'll likely short stroke but if it's locked hard on your shoulder it'll cycle.

Short stroking while holding really loosely isn't a big issue but can be corrected if you just have money to burn
>>
>>34311559

*If you loosely hold it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.